The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 14:44:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How about a proper ONE PIECE WINDOW thread......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: How about a proper ONE PIECE WINDOW thread......  (Read 15981 times)
Tony M

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 16:17:16 pm »

Only needed to glue the curved ends - the rest is ok - Hey Donny B. I like those - Clean finish - What did you use - Are those made by you - or ?

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jim Ratto

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 17:01:06 pm »

Nice work Donny B  Smiley
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 17:06:30 pm »

Donny was kind enough to send me a couple of pieces of that molding. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have his talent for making it look right.  Embarrassed

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 17:19:23 pm »

Pretty cool subject to talk about. When I restored my 1952 split window I found the window felt / and window channels here in town and made my own outside window scrapers with the rear lid seal with the late GM buttons. As for my 54 oval I also bought the window felt here in town and had them installed all the way down to the bottom and I had to make out of pine wood a piece that I could screw on the inside edge to hold down the felt and I also used the 1951 to 1955 window regulator.The other thing I had to do was after the vent windows were removed to weld a small piece of metal across to add and to be able to drill a few more holes for the outside scraper to be held this way you have the scraper all the way a cross nice and tight. You can also put a small amount of surfboard wax on the inside edges of the window felt channel to help it go up and down smoother. I had tought about doing a video on this installation at the time. I also did the window frame inserts and felt restoration on Randy Gates split window some years ago. And this week I am doing another set of window channels for Brad Thompson from Irvine which Buddy Hale is doing a restoration on his 1950 split window. Any other question please let me know.

Frenchy Dehoux
 Doctor Detail

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 18:18:56 pm »

Your windows in the '54 were smooth, Frenchy. I remember you let me try them out at the Pavillions one night... 10 1/2 turns gives you a little exercise!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 18:55:34 pm »

My car came with them fitted as standard  Grin Roll Eyes
But seriously Im looking into grafting some 65ish inner door sections into my original split  doors , so I can use 67 twin lifters , as the split lifters are a bit pants after nearly 60 years of use .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Donny B.

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 19:00:18 pm »

Donny was kind enough to send me a couple of pieces of that molding. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have his talent for making it look right.  Embarrassed

It just takes a little time Louis.  I cut the rubber with sizzors then used emery paper to sand to the exact shape and taper.  The sanding is what takes time.  It goes kinda slow.

The corner seals are from some one piece kits that Car Custom and some others sold back in the '80s.  They were strange with a channel for a metal strip with holes to slide into to support the seal against the door.  At the ends they could be bent up by notching the inside lip and they had a hole that went all the way through that you could put a piece of aluminum wire into to hold the shape.  I long ago lost he aluminum and use small dia welding rod.

Here's some photos of the rubber I used for the corners.  I had to do a lot of trimming, but it worked for me.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
alfie the monster

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 16:03:15 pm »

then there's the black bitch that runs them.

I spoke to Alex about putting one piece windows in mine, he swore at me and we satin blacked the quarter light surround instead  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
Dougy Dee

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 18:20:52 pm »

I used a set from Topline in the early 90's. It had an an aluminum rod that slipped in the end of the scrapes that could be curved to the doors contour.
Dont 64 and earlier cars need to be 'upgraded' to 65 and newer for the regulators to work?
This is the only upgrade I did to my 61 that I regretted.
Never again.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 18:40:19 pm »

After all the pro's and con's i'm gonna stick to original, maybe black powdercoat frames.

Done ? Not Yet.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 22:10:06 pm »

After all the pro's and con's i'm gonna stick to original, maybe black powdercoat frames.

I'm still gonna do one piece  Wink Smiley At least I have the "Easy" doors  Undecided Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
SteveW

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:56 am »

How does the metal section that is in the window aperture (where the 1/4 light should be) come away from the rest of the door? This obviously needs to be removed for the 1 piece window to fit/slide in.

Thanks

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
nicolas

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27:11 am »

i have to read through the topic again and see if there are some bases not covered or things i did differently, but i do have a set off call-stops that i don't use as type3's don't need them.

Donny B.

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 15:08:59 pm »

How does the metal section that is in the window aperture (where the 1/4 light should be) come away from the rest of the door? This obviously needs to be removed for the 1 piece window to fit/slide in.

I used a die grinder with a parting wheel 1/32" thick to cut it out.  Just be careful it doesn't jump out while you are doing it.  Go slow so as not to get the paint or the top of the sill.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 16:01:39 pm »

I used a die grinder with a parting wheel 1/32" thick to cut it out.  Just be careful it doesn't jump out while you are doing it.  Go slow so as not to get the paint or the top of the sill.

Put a little tape ont he door edge to keep from ruining the paint.

--louis

Louis Brooks

JSL

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 16:03:00 pm »

Hi,

I started a thread on how to remove the glass and powder coat the 1/4 lights in the 'In da works' section as thats what I would like to do, entitled 'Powder coating 1/4 lights'

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated as it sounds like a bitch to do  Huh

Sorry I know this is slightly off topic.

I ran one piece windows in my first bug, like people say if you take your time and install them slowly they should be ok, I didnt trust the clips would hold my scrapers in so I used stainless steel sunken screws too, it held up fine, never a problem.

Only thing I didnt like was (as everyone has pointed out) how the ends met the channel. I cut and curved mine up ok (looked good) but it was still a water trap in the UK Grrrr... fine for people living in sunnier climates! ;-) but then I notice a touch of sun bleaching to the felt channels  Grin

The other problem I had with mine was in winter. Frozen windows meant you couldnt wind the window down without risk of pulling the lifter off at the bottom due to the size of the window that was frozen in place.

I cut my windows ready for one peice a few years back, now I wanna go 1/4 lights again! Hahahaha idiot!  Wink Anyone done this? One piece back to 1/4 light?  Huh

J

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 16:53:11 pm »

I took a junk door and cut the outer skin off and used as a jig . first made pattern of original glass and added extra for wind wing portion, So now I have something to slide up and down for prototypeing. Then found a pair of stock window channel, The one's on rear of door by the door handle. Cut a section of channel that I could use as a guild channel for front of glass. and made bracket and tacked together. After I got new window slideing smoothly up and down I hooked window regulator up. I hope this helps guys

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 17:23:12 pm »

I took a junk door and cut the outer skin off and used as a jig . first made pattern of original glass and added extra for wind wing portion, So now I have something to slide up and down for prototypeing. Then found a pair of stock window channel, The one's on rear of door by the door handle. Cut a section of channel that I could use as a guild channel for front of glass. and made bracket and tacked together. After I got new window slideing smoothly up and down I hooked window regulator up. I hope this helps guys

Hmmm very good idea about the scrap door - I might have to get myself one  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2008, 18:14:50 pm »

Cool, I was thinking of doing something along the same idea. Maybe you should consider making some channels and selling them to augment the kits out there already.

--louis

Louis Brooks

ESH

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2008, 20:17:06 pm »

It seems appropriate that the thread dropped and then took a while to get back up to the top again. I think I can hear it rattling a bit too.  Tongue
nicolas

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 16:10:40 pm »

It seems appropriate that the thread dropped and then took a while to get back up to the top again. I think I can hear it rattling a bit too.  Tongue

but, most don't get it up a second time.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 15:17:49 pm »

i haven't read all the posts of this thread, but what's wrong with the many one piece window kits that are listed on the samba?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 16:56:57 pm »

about 3 things wrong with all the kits. First there no front guide for the glass to go up and down properlly. Two you cant use the stock check strap because it will hit and break glass if you shut door with window rolled down. And you need to weld sections were wind wing glass use to be , No place to attach scraper rubber un front edge of door. The kits you buy will kinda work but kinda micky mouse. as I posted early in this post the key is to make some kind of guide channel for front edge of glass. Just my three cents . bye for now

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
SCOTTP

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 23:28:09 pm »

I put a set of one piece windows in my 67 last year. The kit came with glue in scrapers. Throw those away and buy the snap in ones.  A couple of places in So Cal sell them separate... Pacific Customs Unlimited... Moore parts.They don't come with the holes in them, so I used a paper punch. The area on the door that doesn't have the holes needs to be glued. Use the black 3m stuff. You'll need to glue the curves also, then shape with a razor blade. Let the glue set for a long time, or you'll be throwing parts and tools like I did. Make sure you leave enough new felt past the channels at both ends to guide the windows. Roll the windows up and down a few times to check for proper operation. Don't forget the door stops!!  Took almost a week of sore fingers to get everything right. It was a genuine pain in the ass to do.. but they look so nice.

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

140" 2332cc powered Frameworks Dragster

'63 Notchback in the works
Donny B.

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 23:57:10 pm »

I never liked how the corners of the windows looked and I didn't like the way the snap in seals looked when they were curved in the corners so this is what I did.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
SCOTTP

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2008, 05:18:25 am »

Here's how mine turned out

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

SCOTTP

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2008, 05:45:52 am »

Sorry about the crappy picture Angry

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

Donny B.

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2008, 15:15:59 pm »

To heck with the crappy photo, that looks great.  Nice job!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
low oval
DKK

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 06:00:16 am »

wondering if anyone can help.  after 3 years i am going to put my windows back in and can't find the passanger side regulator.  at the time the only one that worked.  driver side always would break.  anyway I am going to give the mechanical regulators one more try if they don't i'm throwing in some electrics.  can anyone post a photo of the regulators with the one piece window bracket attached, and also anybody know where i can find another window bracket (piece the window slides into)in case I can't find mine?
thanks for any advice,
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
mikesmith22

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2022, 19:31:38 pm »

Any link of sales page ?

Air-Cooled engines were widely used in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Most classic VW's sport air-cooled engines.

VW beetle parts
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: