The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 00:43:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Carb questions??????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Carb questions??????  (Read 6294 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: September 29, 2008, 22:52:24 pm »

Right guys - I am going to be using a pair of these Weber 40 DCN's soon and I just want to check a couple of things Smiley

1 - 15/16 are the IDLE JETS - correct Huh

2 - 14 which goes at the bottom of the float chamber, are the MAIN JETS - correct Huh

3 - 9 above the emulsion tube are the AIR CORRECTION - correct  Huh

Also there are 2 positions on the accelerator pumps - marked 1/2 - which hole do I use Huh (19)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 23:58:48 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Lee.C

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:00:24 am »

Nobody  Huh Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 22:56:25 pm »

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

and that depends on the discharge you need. it normally takes about 3 cc to give the extra boust, but that can vary with the carb. i would set it at the furthest (longest travell) and see what it does. if it needs more dicharge put it in the front one. also looking at the arm on the other side (the one with the spring) can give a clue on how much it needs. no need to fully squeeze the spring as all the movement is gone on the lever then. look at regular type3 carbs (dual setup) and those work a bit in the same way, but with one barrel. i'll look into my book a bit more precisely if i find anything else.

nicolas

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:34:02 am »

so i checked it and all is correct i think, but it seems like you have an ealy model carb. as on later models the main jets are located on the stacks like IDF/IDA jetstacks

but i looked up what size jets you could use as a starting point for dual carb setup on a 1641

28 vents / 135 to 140 main / 200 air / f24 emulsion tube (on a DCNF42 there is a f25) / 55 idle (usually on a IDF a 50 works well) / squirters are 50

these are the values from the weber tech manual. my experience is that the idle jets are a bit on the rich side and they are quite generous on fuel to make it all run. hope it helps you out a bit more.

the main fuel jet in the bottom looks indeed as a solex jet from a type3 (and other solexes) and may be interchangeable...

Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:37 am »

Wow thanks dude that really helps - are you sure you want to give me all this info cos I might beat ya  Wink Smiley

I only have 24 and 32 venturi's - could I get the 24's machined out  Huh or does anyone know where I can buy other venturi's  Huh

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 10:10:09 am »

I buy all my jets and vents from a guy in France. According to him, 28 vents are just as good for a stock cam and heads 1600.

There is an online jets and vent calculator on a French aircooled site. http://www.flat4ever.com/?page=carbus

This is what I found for your engine. I suppose max rpm is 5500t? All are minimal value. But as your buggy is lighter than a sedan, the result may vary. Huh

Vents: 30
main: 130
Air: 160
No value for emulsion or idle but I think Nicolas is right.

I don't know if machine the vents is the right way? It will give a straight form and not a curve as original.

On my 1835, I run 32 vents idle 55, main 130, air 175.

Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 13:55:30 pm »

Hey Jf "I don't know if machine the vents is the right way? It will give a straight form and not a curve as original. "

That is what I was thinking - I might have to get you to get me some vents and jets  Smiley

As for RPM it revs to approx 5400rpm at the moment with the SINGLE carb so I am hoping to see at least 6500  Undecided

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 14:32:11 pm »

Hey Jf "I don't know if machine the vents is the right way? It will give a straight form and not a curve as original. "

That is what I was thinking - I might have to get you to get me some vents and jets  Smiley

As for RPM it revs to approx 5400rpm at the moment with the SINGLE carb so I am hoping to see at least 6500  Undecided

With my W120 in my 1835 I think 6000 is a max. Engine can rev more but it's useless.

The best way is to make some test and ask somebody that's have experience in carburettor.

And if I can help you, I will do my best.  Wink
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 16:16:47 pm »

those values might work as well. but i am not sure how a IDF translates to a DCNF. it may be the same. could you take a pic off the jets and venturis? maybe they are the same as IDF and i could hook you up with some 28 vents. 32 are available through CSP, maybe others as well. but i would go for 28 to have the torque off the lower RPM with the w100 cam. and by saying that i think the 6500 range will be a bit too much. i know a W110 goes past 5500 (around 6000), but after that it is all out off flow. but the accelleration is better and faster. and i hope your crank and all is balanced, because above 6000 it really matters. it is always good to have it all balanced, but above 4000 rpm i would do it.

as for helping you, i just want to give you the impression you stand a chance Shocked

Tongue

Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 16:38:30 pm »

those values might work as well. but i am not sure how a IDF translates to a DCNF. it may be the same. could you take a pic off the jets and venturis? maybe they are the same as IDF and i could hook you up with some 28 vents. 32 are available through CSP, maybe others as well. but i would go for 28 to have the torque off the lower RPM with the w100 cam. and by saying that i think the 6500 range will be a bit too much. i know a W110 goes past 5500 (around 6000), but after that it is all out off flow. but the accelleration is better and faster. and i hope your crank and all is balanced, because above 6000 it really matters. it is always good to have it all balanced, but above 4000 rpm i would do it.

as for helping you, i just want to give you the impression you stand a chance Shocked

Tongue

Hey dude - I was just guessing at 6500 - we'll have to wait and see  Undecided Smiley

I will get some pic's of the vents and jets (but I'm pretty ill so bare with me  Cry) also don't worry about the crank etc its all fully balanced/counterweighed and 8 dowelled  Grin

oh yeah my carbs are DCN's NOT DCNf's  Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 16:39:35 pm »

as for beating me  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 18:06:26 pm »

Here you go nicolas - the venturi's are 29mm tall and 42mm in diameter at the top and 40mm at the bottom (there is a 4mm wide lip at the top ) - top left are the main jets BUT none of mine have any numbers Undecided Huh and Bottom left are the air correction I have these in 160/200 and lastly on the right are the idle jets I only have 55's  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 18:08:11 pm by monkiboy » Logged

beetletom

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 21:15:03 pm »

lee, thanks for putting this thread up
ive got a pair of 40 dcnf's on dds manifolds
but im still not sure whether to bother with them, as many places don't know a lot about them...?
as they need to be cleaned/rebuilt, i also need a linkage...  Huh Huh Huh

do you know of any places???
Lee.C

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 22:29:56 pm »

lee, thanks for putting this thread up
ive got a pair of 40 dcnf's on dds manifolds
but im still not sure whether to bother with them, as many places don't know a lot about them...?
as they need to be cleaned/rebuilt, i also need a linkage...  Huh Huh Huh

do you know of any places???

HuhHuhHuh there is laods of info about dcnf's (try bergs site) as for linkages just try the normal places samba etc

By the way Mine are DCN's (early 3 bolt type) NOT dcnf's (with 4 bolts) you can see the differences below: ps they are not my carbs/intakes Smiley
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 23:21:25 pm by monkiboy » Logged

beetletom

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 23:11:43 pm »

ok thanks  Cool

just want to know if anyone can rebuild them really...
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 23:19:05 pm »

jeez you've got all the good parts tom. and you're not using any of them. come on Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 23:20:35 pm »

ok thanks  Cool

just want to know if anyone can rebuild them really...

DO IT YOURSELF  Wink Smiley

trust me its EASY it will only take you a couple of hours - I taught a friend of mine to do his in under an hour and hes been striping and rebulding his  Smiley

beetletom

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 23:35:42 pm »

will find a gasket set, and i'll give it a go
that pic up top scares me a bit  Cheesy but they wont need stripping that much..?
Lee.C

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 23:41:34 pm »

were getting a bit off subject here  Wink Smiley I would never recomend removing the Sharfts/butterflys unless there is a problem ie play or bent, everything else is easy  Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 07:37:04 am »

idles are indeed the same as IDF's and vents may be the same as IDF's but top diameter is 40 as well. maybe they can be made to fit, but 29mm could do the trick, 30's may work as well.

Lee.C

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 14:53:44 pm »

idles are indeed the same as IDF's and vents may be the same as IDF's but top diameter is 40 as well. maybe they can be made to fit, but 29mm could do the trick, 30's may work as well.

Hey thanks for the info dude - I got a bit distracted with all Tom's question  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley I have found this place in the UK http://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=5

they should be able to sort out all the Jets BUT the Vents are going to be alittle more trouble  Undecided Smiley
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 14:55:24 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: