The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 21:14:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  Our trip to Das Drag Day #6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Our trip to Das Drag Day #6  (Read 34584 times)
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2008, 11:45:31 am »

what brand of valves are you using?

Martin

Those are Manley valves.

Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2008, 14:48:38 pm »

Hey Tekken
thank you very much for the help with your Tools.So I can modify my new Valve Covers.And thank you to Rune for the Translation!!!

Glad I could help Jürgen. See you around.
charlie

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2008, 22:19:10 pm »

Hi

What a very (long) nice trip .

My favorite picture of your car ,at the end of the track

Others pics of your car on my blog :

http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/post/6287833/split-turbo-ddd6#comments
http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/post/6284473/split-turbo-#comments

Cheers.

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2008, 17:49:39 pm »

A few pictures of my engine,besides the strange looking valve it looks good.. Wink

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2008, 17:50:31 pm »

Angry

richie

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2008, 20:10:52 pm »

Looks like you got really lucky with so little damage,good luck with the repairs & upgrades!!  You are doing upgrades while its apart arent you Wink Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2008, 20:36:48 pm »

Looks like you got really lucky with so little damage,good luck with the repairs & upgrades!!  You are doing upgrades while its apart arent you Wink Cheesy

cheers richie

Hey Richie,how are you!!
Yes,of course I'm doing some upgrades,I know you have a new and bigger engine going on.. Wink

richie

« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2008, 23:51:44 pm »

cheers richie

Hey Richie,how are you!!
Yes,of course I'm doing some upgrades,I know you have a new and bigger engine going on.. Wink

all good here Smiley   You have to keep going dont you?any breakage should be viewed as a chance to improve something,and yes I have a couple of new engines to try,need to get some advantage to help the heavy car Cheesy

Looked like you had a good time travelling south to Bitburg

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Airspeed

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2008, 23:04:05 pm »

Wow! Alu rods and roller cam  Shocked
Do the rods have no si-bronze bearing for the piston pin? If not, what do the pins run on?
So thats what it takes to do a low 9 sec huh  Roll Eyes

No roller guide wear after x passes?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Udo

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2008, 09:34:17 am »

Hi Stian

You had realy luck with this demage !! But i never saw a valve breaking there . I would change the rods , may be Don can tell you how long it can be used .

Regards from Karin also

Udo

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2008, 19:30:13 pm »

Wow! Alu rods and roller cam  Shocked
Do the rods have no si-bronze bearing for the piston pin? If not, what do the pins run on?
So thats what it takes to do a low 9 sec huh  Roll Eyes

No roller guide wear after x passes?

Hey Airspeed,yes those rods make all the difference between a high 10 and low 9's.. Wink There are no bearing for the piston pin,alu rods on turbo are also more forgivable if you for instance get knock or detonations.I have to measure both ends and magna flux for cracks each time they are out.If that is okay,then they should be good as Don Pauter said.But I have no experience with them except two seasons in my engine now,so I considre to change them just to be on the safe side.The roller guides still look good after two seasons now,when they get worn I just change them.I also measure my roller lifters and look for cracks each time. Smiley

Airspeed

« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2008, 22:01:22 pm »

Yeah, I can understand the quicker revving of the very light rotating mass would make boost come on sooner.
Speaking of which and if your willing to tell us, whats the max boost you run at?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2008, 22:14:12 pm »

At the end of the season we ran approx 25psi,but had a lot of back pressure because of a too small turbo.New and bigger ball bearing turbo from PT going in for next season,and some modifications on the Holley carb to get more fuel.Looking forward to see how it works,just have to take it step by step..

Airspeed

« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2008, 22:33:33 pm »

Thanks Stian, great to hear you went so fast already with those boost figures.
Amazing to learn that that big turbo was actually too small!
Hope to see you go even faster. Very curieus what the difference will be.
Tnx again for the candid infos,
Walter

Udo

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2008, 23:05:32 pm »

I think Stian needs some lightweight lifters and smaller springs . For a turbo engine there is no need for a roller cam !? May be he got some valve float with these heavy lifters and this is why the valve broke !

Udo

Udo

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2008, 17:52:40 pm »

This is a good example for my opinion    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=689767

And the CSP engine !!

Udo

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2008, 18:17:27 pm »

arnt they going onto a roller cam next?

dont you think you can go wilder with the roller cam Udo? Ive been studying cams for ages now and the advantages and disavantages of the rollers.

i keep going wilder with my cam and the power is still climbing. dont know if a flat tappet cam would have the same control at 9000 rpm. Keep thinking about putting the motor on a Spintron machine and try out difernt cams and springs.

open to any idea's views on this subject...

Martin.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Udo

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2008, 09:03:45 am »

Hi Martin
I think the red baron and CSP 34 have good power  Wink

Udo

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2008, 11:45:55 am »

I think Stian needs some lightweight lifters and smaller springs . For a turbo engine there is no need for a roller cam !? May be he got some valve float with these heavy lifters and this is why the valve broke !

Udo

Yes,I'm sure a flat tapped cam would have worked more than enough for me.The thing is,I had already had the welded and reinforced Autocraft case, together with the rest of the engine parts to build a pro stock engine.Marty and I made a deal, and traded some parts that could'nt be used in the turbo application.

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:28 pm »

Hi Martin
I think the red baron and CSP 34 have good power  Wink

Udo

thats why im so interested in the subject, im having to use 700lb springs to control my valves. The V8 prostock engine builders ive been talking to about the subject say my springs are a little soft for my cam spec !!!!  you should see the size of pushrods im having to use to cope with the loads.

I did have valve float with 500lb at 7200 rpm. now the motor is happy all the way to 9000 rpm, no float so far.

Thats why I'd like to compare both setups on a Spintron

This subject could have a thread of its own, sorry for the thread jack!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2008, 13:31:40 pm »

This subject could have a thread of its own

[/quote]

I agree Martin,we should make one.As you know I'm also really interested in idea's views on this subject-thanks.

Udo

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2008, 19:39:52 pm »

Martin can start a new thread , but i think it was part of Stians trip to take a look at my work and learn only to use lightweight valve train parts   Wink . and now it is too late for Stian to go back to a flat tappert cam and light lifters  Cheesy

Udo

mr horsepower

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2009, 22:24:11 pm »

Hi Stian

You had realy luck with this demage !! But i never saw a valve breaking there . I would change the rods , may be Don can tell you how long it can be used .

Regards from Karin also

Udo

Hi udo is it not so that alu rods size on higher rpm s an a hotter combustion and the copper head gasked shrinks when get hotter
to seal better ?

GREETS HENRI.

(PS owner of asmall green car also)
Udo

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2009, 20:31:30 pm »

Hi Stian

Regards from Karin also

Udo

Hi udo is it not so that alu rods size on higher rpm s an a hotter combustion and the copper head gasked shrinks when get hotter
to seal better ?

GREETS HENRI.

(PS owner of asmall green car also)

Hi
sorry i never used alu rods . Don't have any experience

PS (green cars are nice ) :-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 20:33:50 pm by Udo » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: