The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:23:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  This just in........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: This just in........  (Read 47543 times)
SlingShot

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2008, 04:15:01 am »

The current bid is $11,400.00

Going Once.....

I agree 12K would be a steal.

Will Race For Beer !!!
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2008, 23:19:45 pm »

Not bad investment ( for the seller ) Considering the wheel where priced originally $49.50 each..

BTW: Shipping charges should be very cheap , they only weight in @ 8 lbs. each. Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2008, 00:05:44 am »

I think if they sell for less than 15k somebody is getting a deal. With the replicas on the scene people have forgotten how rare BRM's & wide 5 Americans are. In the 80's & early 90's seeing a set outside of the Berg's was like seeing a unicorn. Now people are jaded & think they are everywhere.   If I had the means I would buy them in a heartbeat...

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
bugnut68

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2008, 00:15:52 am »

Getting back to my earlier concern about durability, how well does magnesium hold up through the decades?  10 plus grand for a set of wheels that would just sit around to look at wouldn't seem worth it to me, if they weren't useable (that is, useable in a safe manner).
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2008, 00:33:41 am »

Getting back to my earlier concern about durability, how well does magnesium hold up through the decades?  10 plus grand for a set of wheels that would just sit around to look at wouldn't seem worth it to me, if they weren't useable (that is, useable in a safe manner).
Art G uses his, & I use mine, I would'nt do any off roading and I am pretty careful about where I point my car. They have held up pretty good for the nearly 20yrs I have owned my particular set. You just have to be careful. I keep aluminum wheels on the car most of the time now, because I am just tired of polishing them.  Bill

Eddy Merckx
Jim Ratto

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2008, 00:44:39 am »

, I would'nt do any off roading

No?
Sarge

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2008, 00:53:04 am »

No?

[/quote]

That's disapointing Sad Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2008, 01:06:39 am »

, I would'nt do any off roading

No?
Just on the grass

Eddy Merckx
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2008, 01:21:18 am »

Don't say grass around Danny.

I also park at Nick's.
ST DRAGN

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2008, 01:23:13 am »

I think the answer was right underneath your very own nose... Myself and a few other members drive/race their car with real magnesium wheels from time to time. If you had any type of concerns or questions,  It would when wheels were over loaded of usage ( off roading like Bill said ) and if they where exposed around water/humidity for long periods of time. not the ones sitting in a ( NOS ) dry free environment.

Being that the wheels are 90% old tech magnesium vs. today's new tech magnesium. I would still have to say, there is no doubt in my mind they are strong, and rigidity...( See: Berg race car 40+ years of racing ). Wink

BTW: most horrid stories you hear say, are surrounding the EMPI 2pc wheels. If you stare at them long enough they will crack.. Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2008, 01:26:45 am »

I think the answer was right underneath your very own nose... Myself and a few other members drive/race their car with real magnesium wheels from time to time. If you had any type of concerns or questions,  It would when wheels were over loaded of usage ( off roading like Bill said ) and if they where exposed around water/humidity for long periods of time. not the ones sitting in a ( NOS ) dry free environment.

Being that the wheels are 90% old tech magnesium vs. today's new tech magnesium. I would still have to say, there is no doubt in my mind they are strong, and rigidity...( See: Berg race car 40+ years of racing ). Wink

BTW: most horrid stories you hear say, are surrounding the EMPI 2pc wheels. If you stare at them long enough they will crack.. Cheesy

Specifically the back halves.

I also park at Nick's.
ST DRAGN

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2008, 01:36:04 am »

Just add Blue dye ink: and see the spider webs come alive... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2008, 03:02:12 am »

Just add Blue dye ink: and see the spider webs come alive... Grin
                                                              I can't find the cracks on mine, Art.

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2008, 03:06:14 am »

try the other piece.  still on drum?
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2008, 03:29:54 am »

That back half was still bolted to the front half. The front half was unscathed. My fender, however matched the back half.

I also park at Nick's.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2008, 04:17:36 am »

Enough of the wheel stories, what about the grass ?--------------------Well ?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
sheep

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2008, 05:07:16 am »

Enough of the wheel stories, what about the grass ?--------------------Well ?

Wow what a coincidinc .......  guesss what I am doing right now Shocked

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2008, 05:14:53 am »

Buying over priced mag wheels ? Maybe ?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
sheep

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2008, 05:15:56 am »

Buying over priced mag wheels ? Maybe ?

NO Wink

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Jim Ratto

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2008, 05:31:40 am »

mowing the green grass?
SlingShot

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2008, 03:22:14 am »

$13,000 going once !

Will Race For Beer !!!
Peter

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2008, 12:15:21 pm »

hey guys,
i was wondering...
since they were allready rare in the 80ies,
how long were they made? can nobody get hold of the original molds? Smiley
beetletom

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2008, 13:07:31 pm »

ks tried Wink  Cool
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2008, 16:20:46 pm »

how long were they made? can nobody get hold of the original molds? Smiley
the wheels were first seen by the public at the end of February 66 and would soon become a big seller in the USA where the benefit of light weight was not lost on the drag race fraternity.

words by ks on  http://www.kes.u-net.com/speedwell/story.html

chris morley own 2 prototype ( Huh ) wheels those one were on the gtv on the cover on the 1st annual volkswagen and on the inch pincher one
 watch the spoke there's a liitle cut in   Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
deano

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2008, 17:53:03 pm »

Another one of these original four BRMs (prototype) has surfaced in Florida.... No photos yet.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2008, 18:20:10 pm »

I'm sittin' here starin' at the BRM's on that green car... I'm sorry, but those are BUTT UGLY!!  No wonder I hated them back then.  Let the stoning begin....

DKP III
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2008, 18:39:16 pm »

No matter what they go for, they're still ugly wheels. Smiley

YES! 13 Grand. Rediculos !
T
Tony M

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2008, 19:08:45 pm »

Unless your buying wheels for your F-1 car 13k for a set of wheels - You need your head checked - plus they are ugly.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
stealth67vw

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2008, 19:24:24 pm »

Let the stoning begin....

Are you supplying?  Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
LuftsickTero

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2008, 20:41:04 pm »

I'm sittin' here starin' at the BRM's on that green car... I'm sorry, but those are BUTT UGLY!!  No wonder I hated them back then.  Let the stoning begin....

Yeah, '65 Chevelle wheel rip-offs  Grin

Unless your buying wheels for your F-1 car 13k for a set of wheels - You need your head checked - plus they are ugly.

If someone else has budget for 13K$ wheels, I am happy for him/her, nothing away from me even I cannot afford them..

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: