The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 16:09:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  This just in........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: This just in........  (Read 47586 times)
Sarge

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2008, 20:47:57 pm »

I remember my folks buying three new VW's back in the 60's.  I can just imagine my dad telling the salesman to change the factory steelies and caps for a set of those odd looking, grey wheels in the EMPI catalog....NOT!!

DKP III
deano

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2008, 21:39:30 pm »

No wonder I hated them back then.  Let the stoning begin....

Sounds like a quote from Life of Brian;

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Erthun0Pauc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Erthun0Pauc</a>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 21:44:07 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2008, 22:47:52 pm »

No wonder I hated them back then.  Let the stoning begin....

Sounds like a quote from Life of Brian;

Grin  perfect!

DKP III
Russell

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2008, 09:46:59 am »

For the record. My offer was too low so its not me.  Sad

However, whoever gets them WELL DONE and so what about the price.... anyone on here with a negative opinion can F&^% off as far as im concerned the beauty is in the eye of the beholder....  We all collect stuff some people pay hundres of $ for magazines or an autograph of a golfer or football star and that is no use for anyone, some people pay millions for a painting ! there choice not mine, however its ot my opinion nor should it be yours if its too much or stupid if the buyer and seller agree and are happy that should be enought.

So on the plus side for all us that own BRM's maybe there vaule has gone up like everything else in the world, Gas, Interest Rates, costs and maybe this is an investment not a waste of money as suggested.

If you purchased a F1 Maclaran a few years agon today its worth almost double the amount, so maybe those who didt win or didnt bid  the are ones that are wrong.

One other point 3 months ago someone paid 317,000.00 euros for a Schimwagon 6 months ago you could get one for around 80,000 euros !!! and dont even get me started on Prosche RS's but they have proven to be some really spund investments for the collectors/investors.

So whoever got them, well done again.

P.s not sure i like the fact the the highest bid price had been posted on thesamba as this is asking for someone else to jump in on the poor guy, they asked for offers and should accept the highest offer, not start a biding war.

Best Regards

Russell
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2008, 11:48:45 am »

Everything is relative, if you have the spondoolies available, and you liked the wheel why would you NOT buy them?

I think they're cool as, and if I had a spare £xxx knocking about I'd be all over them - and I'd be driving on them. I don't though, so I have repop's!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2008, 11:53:31 am »

Oh, and I don't get the investment angle of stuff like this, any of it - leave that to art dealers Wink and classic sportscar brokers - yeah, I know its a fact of life, but if you like something and can afford it, buy it and enjoy it for what it is.

Thats not a dig at ANYONE here - a guy may have quite easily gone and bought a garage full of investment iron rather than, for instance, a garage full of old VW's - I'm not saying that the cars we are all interested in are NOT worthy of ivestment, just they're not your typical investment material, which to me is a good thing. 'Investments' get put in a conditioned environment and only see the light of day long enough to be re-valued. That SUCKS.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2008, 12:26:34 pm »

P.s not sure i like the fact the the highest bid price had been posted on thesamba as this is asking for someone else to jump in on the poor guy, they asked for offers and should accept the highest offer, not start a biding war.

Agreed

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2008, 13:16:40 pm »

russel if its not you who get the best offer
who is it ??
bugnut68

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2008, 17:02:23 pm »

Unless your buying wheels for your F-1 car 13k for a set of wheels - You need your head checked - plus they are ugly.

I guess they're only worth it if someone pays the money for them, but I'm just not that much of a purist in the Cal-Look realm.  Even if I had the dough there's no way I'd dole out 10 plus grand for a set of rims.  I guess there's different levels of dedication out there.
Russell

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2008, 21:38:32 pm »

We dont want all to be the same so every wheel is nice, so there no hard rules again its down to perferance and i like BRM's, i also like empi 5s.....

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 23:55:47 pm by Russell Ritchie » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2008, 21:51:07 pm »

I hope they were fitted on a car too and we could see them at EBI3   Grin
bugnut68

« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2008, 21:46:38 pm »

I'd like to also clarify that my previous comments weren't intended as negative tripe or anything of that nature, but, as a not so hardcore (and financially strapped lol Grin) enthusiast, I could build a damn nice car for $13 grand.  Not to take anything away from the guy who has the means to buy them; if he/she wants them and can afford them, by all means, more power to him/her. As I said in a more recent post, it's worth it if someone pays it, I reckon.
Bruce

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2008, 07:49:58 am »

can nobody get hold of the original molds? Smiley
Why not get Flat Four to pour Mg into their existing molds?
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2008, 00:11:35 am »

I'm sittin' here starin' at the BRM's on that green car... I'm sorry, but those are BUTT UGLY!!  No wonder I hated them back then.  Let the stoning begin....

Yeah, '65 Chevelle wheel rip-offs  Grin

Unless your buying wheels for your F-1 car 13k for a set of wheels - You need your head checked - plus they are ugly.

If someone else has budget for 13K$ wheels, I am happy for him/her, nothing away from me even I cannot afford them..
Wonder Who It Is That has The High Bid   LOL Grin Shocked Grin Grin no matter what the Price When will you ever get another chance to Buy An NOS set of BRM's???
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 00:13:14 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2008, 12:29:26 pm »

i got offered a pair 2 years ago for $4000, still in boxes! bought a bathroom instead.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
SlingShot

« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2008, 18:28:54 pm »

i got offered a pair 2 years ago for $4000, still in boxes! bought a bathroom instead.

Ouch !

Will Race For Beer !!!
8 spoke

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2008, 05:12:22 am »

I was looking in the hot vw magazine and I see the repo wheels for alot cheaper, I'm new to the cal-look seen. Whats the difference in the wheels.
Bruce

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2008, 06:29:51 am »

About 8 lbs.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:13 am »

I was looking in the hot vw magazine and I see the repo wheels for alot cheaper, I'm new to the cal-look seen. Whats the difference in the wheels.

What Bruce posted; about 8lbs. Also, the center caps are slightly different. The originals have EMPI printed on them and most of the reproduction ones have Flat Four on 'em. Oh, there's also a little difference in price. In 1982, I thought that people were high as a kite for spending $1,000 on a set of original magnesium ones. In 2008, I've seen people spend $10,000 for the same wheels.

Here's a pic of some original polished ones that I took in June.

Here's an original unpolished one that I shot.

Here's my Flat Four polished ones with clear coat.

Draw your own conclusions, but I'll take the aluminum Flat Four ones any day. Way cheaper and safer. Besides, they're ugly.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:22:57 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2008, 10:39:58 am »

8LBs a corner = 32lbs in total, I'd say go for repros and spend much less $ than a set of wheels on a bigger motor and stronger box Grin

original BRM's are good but they would never make my old 1776 run 11's, that's why I've spent about $2.5k so far on bits for a 2387 including Pauter crank and rods.

to me the wheels would be nice, but not a necessaty

for $3k I could get a set of new centerlines,slicks and front runners and a set of Flat 4 rims with street tyres.

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
8 spoke

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:10 am »

Thanks for the reply back and I am not going raceing and the repo wheels will be fine for my car.
Neil Davies

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2008, 12:18:27 pm »

8LBs a corner = 32lbs in total, I'd say go for repros and spend much less $ than a set of wheels on a bigger motor and stronger box Grin

original BRM's are good but they would never make my old 1776 run 11's, that's why I've spent about $2.5k so far on bits for a 2387 including Pauter crank and rods.

to me the wheels would be nice, but not a necessaty

for $3k I could get a set of new centerlines,slicks and front runners and a set of Flat 4 rims with street tyres.

And for $13k - a whole race car straight from the states! Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Sarge

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2008, 13:10:59 pm »

Thanks for the reply back and I am not going raceing and the repo wheels will be fine for my car.

You can make your repops look more original by having the clear coat striped and then polish the rims and spokes.  Adding 14mm lug studs and nuts plus a set of Fat Performance's re-done original center caps will add to the look.  A lot of "experts" are easily fooled... Wink 

DKP III
Trent B

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2008, 19:07:05 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:28:34 am by Trent B » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2008, 20:11:01 pm »

You can make your repops look more original by having the clear coat striped and then polish the rims and spokes.  Adding 14mm lug studs and nuts plus a set of Fat Performance's re-done original center caps will add to the look.  A lot of "experts" are easily fooled... Wink 
look a like OG brms
those are mws brms with little job to do a real brm  Shocked Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2008, 20:21:19 pm »

Hey Sarge, did you do the polishing or did you send them to someone? I want to do the same to my 'burner repos.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2008, 21:08:08 pm »

Dam right  Wink My friend Gav (G77) did a pair of his for the back of his 63 and he fooled a couple of "experts" at Bad Camberg last year  Grin it just takes a bit of thought  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Sarge

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2008, 21:26:06 pm »

Hey Sarge, did you do the polishing or did you send them to someone? I want to do the same to my 'burner repos.

Thanks,

--louis

I had Al Reed Polishing do mine.  The tab is currently $85 a wheel... strip / polish / repaint black.

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2008, 21:29:50 pm »

I had Al Reed Polishing do mine.  The tab is currently $85 a wheel... strip / polish / repaint black.

Thanks, guess I will be getting in touch with Mr. Reed some time soon then.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2008, 21:45:48 pm »

Dam right  Wink My friend Gav (G77) did a pair of his for the back of his 63 and he fooled a couple of "experts" at Bad Camberg last year  Grin it just takes a bit of thought  Smiley

Shocked Shocked Shocked  Wink Grin

DKP III
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: