The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 08:19:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350822 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  your " service " vw
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: your " service " vw  (Read 6688 times)
bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« on: November 23, 2006, 23:59:33 pm »

happiness is an hot vw: take two they are small

how many of you can remember this ( hot vw magazine) slogan???

i think tht is right to do some justice to "the other car" the daily driver.......the workin hog you never wash and u never paint...the one with the stock engine that never break.

i love my dune buggy so shiny and chromed....but maybe my heart beats for my '60 rusty combi that i always use to move, to carry things, to go to the sea and......obviously for romance   Wink Wink

how many of u have one?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:30:57 am »

Ive got two beetles now. The GTV will be the daily runabout, while the '67 will have power to crack some skulls on the dragstrip Wink Ive also got a pair of type 3 fastbacks that will become one clean and simple cal looker. If I had just one, it would probably be finished, but whats the fun in that??? Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:13 am »

Hi Bullit,
itīs the same with me. All the money and efforts are going in the oval and I love it shiny and fast but for daily abuse I use my 1977 standard bug which is very reliable since I own it (about 4 years now). I drive that car the whole year no matter which weather and itīs really fun to have a car which you donīt have to care about when parking it in a crowded street or whatever... Grin
Bye,
Tobi
ESH

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:24:37 am »

The first Bug I had is currently undergoing a ground up resto so my Girlfriend can have it but I had it as a daily for a few years. It took alot of abuse over the years and only broke down twice. The first time was the accelerator cable snapping, hardly a big deal and the second time it spat a plug, six months later I put it into storage, by then it needed a few things doing.  I got the car as a 50,000 mile two owner and by the time I laid it up it was sitting at around the 120,000 mile mark. The miles I put on it had been harsh so the heads had an excuse for spitting the plug. I remember getting a new VW exhaust at one point and noticing how good the factory 'restriction' was when new compared to the more 'open' 22 year old original. The replacement may have fitted but I lost some top end speed. On decent radials you could really throw it about so what it lacked in breaking and acceleration you could make up for by simply not stopping or slowing in the first place.

It was serviced regularly and got very good maintenace, for most of it's life better than the factory recommendations but at the same time it took a real pounding and never really missed a beat. When I laid it up it was only because I didn't want another winter on it as the plan was always to restore it. When it was pulled apart it was all still in very good condition, it needs welding obviously but for a car of its age and considering what it went through it looked pretty good. One of the rebuild dilemmas has been whether too replace the spare wheel well, it's totally mint with no rust barring the bump in the bottom which was put in it by a kerb at 30, maybe 35mph, thanks to the original crossplys it came with and a bit of diesel. Fortunately the front being light meant it launched the car before it ripped the panel apart. As it is we're keeping it and are going to massage the bump out.

Smiley
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 19:13:30 pm »

Here are my Cars...

1 for the Street, 1 for the Strip and 1 to get from A to B or to the Race Meetings... Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 01:21:28 am »

Damn... I got a pic of both of my cars together but it's back at my office. I'll post it on Monday.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
TiDi

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 16:18:11 pm »

I have a 72 Bay used for hollidays and fun... Grin Grin Grin

here are some picture of my 72 and bullit's 60 on the way for thenay 2006..

nice trip..

here more pics...
http://vw.zona13.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=820&g2_page=1

Ciao TiDi

4 Wheel Ripperz - http://cal-look.tumblr.com/
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 23:26:32 pm »

Ok, here's a pic of my '67 along with my "service" VW... A 64 notchback.

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 03:30:41 am »

Yeeeaahhh.  I was going to post a picture of my 16v Jetta, but I can't follow Rick's picture. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 06:49:23 am »

The worst part is that the picture was taken in around '82 and I still have both of them.

alex d

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 12:00:05 pm »

oh well I have just one VW, in fact it's my only car, thanks god for public transportation  Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 18:40:19 pm »

Here is mine. I am driving while I collect the parts for its transformation into a '70s style looker. Having great fun driving it with the stock 1500 sp too though.

Hey Rick,

I was looking through some old issues of VW Trends and ran across the interview they did with you and Bill S. on DKK. Was some sweet looking cars in that article. Nice pic of your '67 on spyders.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 18:41:33 pm »

Ok, here's a pic of my '67 along with my "service" VW... A 64 notchback.

A lot of people don't give the eight spokes their due. They look really good on the right car.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 00:33:53 am »

Thanks Louis. When the 67 hit's the road, it will be on "8s" but real ones, not the copies that were on it in the day...

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

Daily driver...

Boat tow vehicle:

'Secret' project:

Toy"

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 11:50:55 am »

daily driver 

my bug that i try to drive as much as possilbe. just come back from european bugin in it, a 700mile round trip and I put 120 miles on it yesterday running around for work.

The first ones got 400hp the second 100hp, guess which one is more fun Grin Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
splitblitz

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 12:08:35 pm »

This is my daily driver for this summer.

The "soon to be finnished" service car, my '67 panel.

And the chassi I am working on for my street toy "The Ebola Performer".

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: