The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 14:42:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Suitable gearbox for drift?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suitable gearbox for drift?  (Read 3567 times)
JIMP

« on: October 07, 2008, 06:53:24 am »

Hello all

could you make some suggestions, what transmission would be suitable for a drift racing beetle? The race is held in some relatively tight circuits (the cars go with max 3rd gear and something like 130km) the car is a 68 stock bodied (yea I know, it;s a swing axle at a drift race but that's what my friend has) with a big T1 at 240HP. So any suggestions on gearing, strenghtening, diff, final ratio etc no welded difs please as the car will be drived to the circuit and back home, thanks in advance

Friendly

Dimitrios
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:26:03 am »

I used to do some drifting back in the 80's(not like the drifting now) occasionally with a rancho pro street swingaxel gearbox with close ratio first true 3rd with a stock 4th,superdiff and solid mount.Had a 1914cc engine in it with estimated 150hp and it went side ways easily Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
65-2180cc

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:01:57 am »

I used to do some drifting back in the 80's(not like the drifting now) occasionally with a rancho pro street swingaxel gearbox with close ratio first true 3rd with a stock 4th,superdiff and solid mount.Had a 1914cc engine in it with estimated 150hp and it went side ways easily Cool

Sounds interesting. What happened to the car?

Had an old Ghia and it naturally when sideways all the time!  Grin

The superdiff for sure. I wonder if a bus tranny...
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:49:27 am »

That car i sold it to some dude when i went to study in boston,dont know where the car is now.

It was this car btw:

Fast vw beetle's rule
JIMP

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 18:52:17 pm »

Hello
thanks for your time, the setup that you mentioned it's actually what we thought of preparing for the car, another question now, do you think that a quaife ATB would be of any help on our application or not? (I remind that the engine has about 240HP with about 260Nm), If anyone has actual experience with the quaife ATB regarding drifting gladly I would like to hear his opinion, cheers

Friendly

Dimitrios
Airspeed

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 21:36:52 pm »

Not really of much help with this, but keep in mind that an ATB is something different than a LSD diff. Be sure to know and understand the differences before you buy anything.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
JIMP

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 14:38:43 pm »

Hello

Wally sure I know the difference, but 1st: I have already an ATB unit sitting somewhere in my garage, 2nd: I thought that in the situation where the torque is enough still it will drift and still be better than a free transmission, 3rd: wouldn't like to use an LSD because of the disc system failure issue and 4th: cant't use a spool because the car will be driven it's way back to home from the circuit, so what actually I'm thinking is If I leave an option without counting on it, cheers

Friendly

Dimitrios
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:21:49 pm »

Use a spool Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:33:54 pm »

Leave the drifting business to the rice boys Wink

/R
JIMP

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 17:50:54 pm »

o.k.

you're very clear, I actually leave it but my mate still insists doing it, I told him so from the beginning but would like to hear other opinions too, so good luck to him...and thank you all for your input

Friendly

Dimitrios
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: