The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:10:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350696 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Let's hear stories of Roller Cranks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Let's hear stories of Roller Cranks  (Read 1839 times)
alex d

« on: October 16, 2008, 09:25:44 am »

how many of you oldtimers did use SPG roller cranks? how did you discover they were not the greatest idea for drag racing?  Grin
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:26:16 am »

Do a search on this forum, there are a couple of good threads about roller cranks. I did the search because I have a 82 mm SPG roller crank in my workshop. LOTS of good info in those threads Smiley

/Rolf
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 21:53:47 pm »

I have run both an 82mm and a 69mm roller in engines.  One of the best street engines I've ever had was a 1776 with a stock stroke roller, an old ISKY Hydralic cam and dual 40 Dellorto's.  It was one of the smoothest motors I've ever run.  The only thing that ever happened with it was I almost got an ass whipping when Mike Fischer, who sold me the crank and cam, saw me in the waterbox at FIREBIRD raceway doing burnouts with it.

Since they are pressed together most racers had them pined to keep them in index. I know a lot of guys who ran them in the early 70's. My only fear with the roller was twisting them out of index or killing a rod.  The rods were very small across the beam area and always made me feel like they could not handle big horsepower. However, they sure did RPM nicely!

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 03:57:51 am »

I have been told that once you go roller you never go back - because they are sooooooo smooth  (hey KS!)

I have just brought an NOS 82 SPG and I am in the process of having it pressed apart checked/pinned and rebuilt - the guy who is doing mine uses threaded pins so they can be removed in the future.

I am planning on building up and "old skool" 2180  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: