The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 15:55:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  3rd progression hole in IDAs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 3rd progression hole in IDAs  (Read 12876 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 21:04:17 pm »

I never drive fast. 

Don't worry.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 21:25:05 pm »

Jim's car can't go fast with all his flat spots  Roll Eyes

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 22:27:59 pm »

Jim's car can't go fast with all his flat spots  Roll Eyes

Kiss Grin

DKP III
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 08:12:10 am »

Jim,

You guys get way too sensitive on these forums.  No one is bashing you. It is interesting the spin you derived from a few comments about continuous inprovement or refinement ideas.  I've run the IDAs both ways too. It is a personal preference for me. I am always willing to try different things and not all my cars had flat spots either. 

Gary Berg, when I had him go through a set of carbs for me, suggested the idea in the early 90's on a set of IDAs that I would run on my teal green 67.  Before that, I too did not use the third hole, as anyone who has run them knows if there is a little larger idle jet the transition smooths out. Again, every motor and combination will be different.   

It is interesting how everything gets turned into an adversarial conversation on these forums when there is a different perspective or opinion shared. I ran my first set of non-drilled IDAs in the early 70's...so I've had a fair share of experience with them too.  As far as not d-cking with something that isn't broken,  I like to try a lot of new things. I run a lot of oiling mods on my case that some have never tried.  That does not mean others motors won't run or oil simply because I am trying something different.  I just try new things and when I find things that enhance the operation and longevity of my motors, I try it.  Nothing I try ruins or changes the value of the motor but usually enhances it.

To each their own.  Again, I cannot find anything shared something considered bashing.

RM

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 08:33:20 am »

To each their own.  Again, I cannot find anything shared something considered bashing.

RM

You will be amazed :-)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 08:47:26 am »

RM

You will be amazed :-)

Hey this is the internet...! Wink Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
wolfswest

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 11:58:11 am »

I came accross this older topic because I wanted to know more about the 3th progression hole.  My main "problem" is when I run the car under 2000rpm it is not THAT smooth as I want it to be.  especially when I drove the car slowly for a few miles and I want to floor it it works but I feel it could be better...
Also when the car is idling you can't walk around the car without tears in your eyes... the gasoline smell etc is just too hard.
If you drill the 3th hole in it is it possible to use smaller idle jets so you could get rid of all these problems?  Huh

I was also thinking about upgrading the iginition to a magneto (now a 009 with compufire in it) to avoid these problems...

Tips and thoughts are more then welcome...

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
JS

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 18:52:09 pm »

What size venturi do you have? Did you jet the carbs properly?

Signature.
Udo

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 20:08:34 pm »

I came accross this older topic because I wanted to know more about the 3th progression hole.  My main "problem" is when I run the car under 2000rpm it is not THAT smooth as I want it to be.  especially when I drove the car slowly for a few miles and I want to floor it it works but I feel it could be better...
Also when the car is idling you can't walk around the car without tears in your eyes... the gasoline smell etc is just too hard.
If you drill the 3th hole in it is it possible to use smaller idle jets so you could get rid of all these problems?  Huh

I was also thinking about upgrading the iginition to a magneto (now a 009 with compufire in it) to avoid these problems...

Tips and thoughts are more then welcome...

If you drill the 3 hole you need bigger idle jets . Did you try with smaller jets ? First i would try with smaller or larger idle jets befor you drill holes

Udo

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: