The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:32:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Flame and Thunder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flame and Thunder  (Read 6430 times)
andy M.

« on: November 01, 2008, 18:49:50 pm »

Chav entertainment for the x factor generation,

I for one will seriously think twice about ever going there again

Andy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 19:14:14 pm by andy M. » Logged

L.B.C.R.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 19:06:23 pm »

to explain:

Outlaws called to staging lanes at 10am.  I arrive at 12.30pm they had not moved, I left at 3.30pm, they had still not run, and they decided to call it a day.

TO be invited to attend a show, and then other cars are allowed to bypass you is dreadful.  Another nail in the coffin for VW drag racing at Santa Pod.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
67worshipper

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 21:09:40 pm »

ive read on another forum that it was a shambles.very sad to say it but shakespeare county raceway is the drag racing capital in this country for hot vws Grin its a big shame that they invite the outlaws and other racers that would like some track time just to sit in the fire up lane Huh is there a conspiracy theory?

vw hot rod heaven
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 22:01:31 pm »

What a lot of disorganised, biased fucking shit!! Angry Angry Angry

It seems that the organiser would rather send a "wheelying fire truck" down the track rather than let the people who had been queing to race for 4 hours go down!!

Chav entertainment for the x factor generation,

I for one will seriously think twice about ever going there again

Andy

It was a bit like that last year , chav tastic .  Roll Eyes glad im sat here in the warm reading this .
 Tomorrow should see some more action with RWB , we managed to get 5 or 6 passes in last year with the gold car .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
67worshipper

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 22:21:08 pm »

i dont think alot will happen tomorrow ive looked on the webcam and its chuckin it down and has been since 5ish.forecast looks very poor.

vw hot rod heaven
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:47:38 am »

to explain:

Outlaws called to staging lanes at 10am.  I arrive at 12.30pm they had not moved, I left at 3.30pm, they had still not run, and they decided to call it a day.

TO be invited to attend a show, and then other cars are allowed to bypass you is dreadful.  Another nail in the coffin for VW drag racing at Santa Pod.

It’s not the first time vws have been invited to a show there only to be kept off the track until it’s nearly dark.
I'm sure there are a few guys on here that could tell you what happened at an event last year at the pod

Maybe it time to start thinking twice about the tracks and events we support with our cash?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:49:09 am by rocket ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
leec

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 16:17:01 pm »

Just got home. It was unbelievable the way the outlaws were treated.

I was hoping to run rwyb today but the rain killed that off. They didnt seem too fast in drying/prepping the track imo

Lee
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 18:37:20 pm »

Not sure why the VWs were kept back, but it was a damn shame. To see a bunch of guys really fired up to end the season off with a last blast bitterly disappointed, having sat first in queue for over 5 hours, is disheartening. Having said that, the VWDRC were also held back, so the chances of any kind of conspiracy purely towards the Outlaws is unlikely. It seems that the VWs are still considered the 'ugly' ducklings at drag racing shows to be cast aside at will even though they are far more entertaining than 99% of the rest of the other drag race cars and bikes. Who can deny the crowd cheering appeal when a VW launches 4 foot in the air nailing a V8 to the lights?

Not sure what the point of a bunch of top fuel cars restricted to half throttle and 1/8 mile passes was. From my vantage point the track was way too cold (about 5 degrees Celsius) for anything with more than 250 horsepower. In my opinion an emasculated top fuel car is pointless, but I guess the promoters were trying to get a little bit of 'value for money'. There were quite a lot of sketchy moments out there due to lack of traction - but you can't really blame this on anything other than mother nature.

However, pretty much the entire ensemble of VWs could have run flat out (other than a couple of turbo cars, perhaps) and made for great racing with big wheels-up action. Not sure if I heard a cheer all day long from the crowd... reckon this would have been different if the likes of Mr West et al would have had the chance to launch hard.

For whatever reason the promoters chose to hold back the Volkswagens. Sadly, this still seems to be the case when the straws are drawn and that's a fact we seem to have to live with, even though it sucks!

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 18:41:13 pm »

well at least this year Chico didnt turn up !!

Was a big shame got really cold and wet but at least we try and watch decent dubs race
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 19:55:03 pm »

Shame! I heard all about it - Dam politics  Angry its sad to see in our hobby  Cry

You either "Get It" or you don't......
JS

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 20:08:19 pm »

This Sucks!!!  Angry  Come over to SCC next year, you can race as much as you want!

Signature.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 20:15:19 pm »

This Sucks!!!  Angry  Come over to SCC next year, you can race as much as you want!

I think they might Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 20:32:24 pm »

mmmmm SCC

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Udo

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 22:54:36 pm »

To dragday too  Cheesy

Udo

andy M.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 23:51:18 pm »

Ok, let me start by saying that it's heartening to read the support we have as a club (o/ff) from forumites but can i put the content of my original post on Saturday night in context.

Firstly, when i got home i was cold, hungry and pissed off. I had spent a good deal of time prepping my car for this final run of the season and was , naturally, looking forward to giving the old girl a damn good thrashing.
 Obviously due to events outside of my control the opportunity did not arise. The poor weather was the major factor in all this, being wet and cold , with intermitent rain causing many delays, the odd track mishap and also the event schedule having to be adhered to. That being said a little communication goes along way. If the guys on the start line had told us that we couldn't run until late in the afternoon then I could have gone off and warmed up, had a cuppa and a sit down, but instead they kept promising that we would go in "10 minutes" or "after these guys"  etc. But after nearly 5 hours it was beyond a joke.Thats what annoyed me.

Now any talk of a conspiracy is pure nonsense, we were invited to race and if circumstances had been different we would have been putting on a show for the punters as requested. If Santa Pod wanted to they could just have easily have said we dont want you here and not invited us in the first place!

Anyway, hopefully that sets the record straight, I have no beef with the organisers/owners/track staff at the pod, every other time i've raced there's been no problem at all, i set my PB there back in the summer at the mopars and had a great time, and hopefully I'll race there again,

Andy

L.B.C.R.
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 00:24:39 am »

It must have been a real disappointment for you guys sitting there waiting all day. What the organisers fail to grasp is that you work for months to get your car there, spend a shit load of money and then have the let down of being sidelined.

Had it have been me sat on the start line waiting, I would have been reet pissed, too! Having said that... come to think of it I was hanging around the start line all day freezing me knackers off too! Pesky weather...

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
67worshipper

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 01:39:52 am »

"Now any talk of a conspiracy is pure nonsense," i didnt mean to kick up a fuss with the conspiracy theory thang in my post but it always seems the vws making way for the rest whenever this happens. i dont know how the outlaws feel about it as a unit but its not going to bode well for future vw classes racing at santa pod as its under strain already.

vw hot rod heaven
SteveW

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 07:40:01 am »

I don't think there is any kind of conspiracy or anything like that from Santa Pod, with all the weather we have had this year they just want to put on a show that 'they' think the public will like, in other words classes such as Top Fuel etc will always have priority over everything! It's just the nature of the event,  I for one know that the outlaws are very well received by Santa Pod and 'VW racing' as a whole is not under threat at Santa Pod!  Wink

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Mags

2,2L 577Hk.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 11:28:45 am »

Thanks too Peter and Outlaws club,
Its was Cold night friday,
Peter get mee Cafe morring and racer was ready too have fun Wink
All was ready 10 clock,only too car on the racetrack,Its was shit i am stil waiting too see more racing.
After 4,5hours it was no VW more.
Beer waiting for me.
Santa pod shit originale Shocked

I hope to see Outlaws on Gardermoen racetrack next summer.
SCC 2009 14-16 august.
Thanks Peter see you week 51.

Magne

Joe_G

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 13:57:40 pm »

Cheers for making the effort Mags, was a shame you didn't get to see any of us racing Sad
Saturday night was good though Wink
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 14:04:08 pm »

I like your technique getting the heater to work Mags, it was the only action that stinger saw all weekend Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Joe_G

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 14:10:25 pm »

I like your technique getting the heater to work Mags, it was the only action that stinger saw all weekend Grin

OI!!!!!
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 14:15:57 pm »

Stinger, not sting Tongue

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Joe_G

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 14:16:51 pm »

Stinger, not sting Tongue

Where did you think the stinger came from?  Grin Grin
nicolas

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 19:46:43 pm »

that must suck big time.

it seems like there is a lot off 'politics' involved in racing in the UK. it seems like on this side off the channel things are not as organized and a bit more layed back as less money is involved i guess. but still i do hope racetrack and organizers have the balls to organize good events that have a decent organization that will back up what they promote.
i can't help but like the system that was used at SCC with the different classes. as dragracing is getting more popular there is also a need to organize the whole thing better to accomodate the racers better and have a better show for the spectators as well in the end.

sorry for rambling on
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: