The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 17:48:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What mufflers are you guys using ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What mufflers are you guys using ?  (Read 15696 times)
Rasser

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 19:22:38 pm »

How do I get in contact with Tiger - does he have a webshop, email or the good old phone ?

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 19:22:47 pm »

I have a strange dual tbird. There is 2 mufflers fix straight up under each fenders.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 19:38:20 pm »

I have a strange dual tbird. There is 2 mufflers fix straight up under each fenders.

I remember those... but I think Phoenix sold/made those?
Rasser

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 19:43:04 pm »

How about a Flowmaster?  Mason's got one on his lump and you can barely hear the exhaust at all  (j/k). Roll Eyes Grin

flowmaster.... ? 

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 19:48:58 pm »

How do I get in contact with Tiger - does he have a webshop, email or the good old phone ?

714-836-7201  Wink

/Rolf
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 19:59:16 pm »

I remember those... but I think Phoenix sold/made those?

I don't know, It is only stamps "thunderbird"  on it  Huh

I've seen an ads in old french vw mag with this muffler but I don't remember the name.
Rasser

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 20:08:25 pm »

714-836-7201  Wink

/Rolf

Thanks, I can just picture myself on the phone trying to explain Tiger how I would like my exhaust to be made ;-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 20:22:33 pm by Rasser DK » Logged

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:19 am »

I do like how those mufflers sound though- the extra pass back through the muffler seems to really make a difference in noise. Ground clearance has never been a big deal for me either, just be concious that the muffler is back there and you'll never scrape it.

Been there, done that, many years ago. Ground clearance was never a big deal for me, as well. I always took great care in making sure my lowered cars stayed looking nice. But I'm building this current car to suit my much older needs, now.

I can't wait to hear how my 1915cc is gonna sound with my muffler. Every car that I've heard with the same muffler sounds good. Not too loud. Which is what I told Tiger and he sold me the Magnaflow. GREAT design.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 04:35:05 am »

714-836-7201  Wink

/Rolf

Thanks, I can just picture myself on the phone trying to explain Tiger how I would like my exhaust to be made ;-)

Don't worry about Tiger... whatever you need, he's been there and done that.
I've used him for several projects and have been completely satisfied every time.

~DR.
Neil Davies

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 09:38:10 am »

Here are pictures of the mufflers I have right now:
2½" Stainless "see through" muffler - LOUD (sorry for the "long distance" shot)
Single quiet pack muffler (bought together with a 1-3/8" merged header from CB performance)

I like the looks off the polished muffler, and the sound of the quiet pack (ok, maybe a bit more sound than the quiet pack - but something like that). Anyone know where I can get the best of both worlds ?

Dual quiet packs, ceramic coated? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 08:06:31 am »

How about a Flowmaster?  Mason's got one on his lump and you can barely hear the exhaust at all  (j/k). Roll Eyes Grin
                                                Mason's is the old Dynomax. He used to run a flowmaster about 18 years ago and it would shatter the glass in your car.

I also park at Nick's.
Udo

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 11:51:02 am »

For the best performance at the whole rpm range i still use my own muffler , i sell the tubes  bend like this in 45 and 50 mm.

Udo

Jim Ratto

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 20:02:47 pm »

Mason's is the old Dynomax. He used to run a flowmaster about 18 years ago and it would shatter the glass in your car.

the one that exited under his RH runningboard?  Shocked
I remember sheep and I standing around at Classic 1991 when he parked that car right next to us. Sounded like an F1 car parking. I actually loved that system on his car. Though his car sounds radically mean now, it sounded even more pissed off with the FM muffler.
48IDA66

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 20:59:28 pm »

I have a CSP(Germany) stainless stell muffler with some small modifications ( to go under the rear appron) and I like it!!... Wink
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 19:43:10 pm by 48IDA66 » Logged
Rennsurfer

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 01:35:52 am »

GREAT picture! I love beige Cal Lookers. Love the engine too... all business. What kind of wheels on that Oval?

I came real close to buying that C.S.P. exhaust. But at the last minute, I looked at Glenn's and priced out the A-1 system much cheaper, including the matching diameter heater boxes.

But I really like the looks of your exhaust. Very clean and tidy appearance.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:16 am »

the one that exited under his RH runningboard?  Shocked
I remember sheep and I standing around at Classic 1991 when he parked that car right next to us. Sounded like an F1 car parking. I actually loved that system on his car. Though his car sounds radically mean now, it sounded even more pissed off with the FM muffler.
                                                            That's the one. I remember Jim Bangs standing right next to the car in the parking lot of Carls Jr., where we used to meet to go to shows, and Mason lighting the car off. Jim jumped about six inches off the ground and spilled his coffee all over my shoes.

I also park at Nick's.
stealth67vw

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2008, 05:37:37 am »

I just run the standard old merged quiet packs from the Bergs.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
LuftsickTero

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 06:33:17 am »

GREAT picture! I love beige Cal Lookers. Love the engine too... all business. What kind of wheels on that Oval?

I came real close to buying that C.S.P. exhaust. But at the last minute, I looked at Glenn's and priced out the A-1 system much cheaper, including the matching diameter heater boxes.

But I really like the looks of your exhaust. Very clean and tidy appearance.

Fuchs, are there other wheels?  Wink Check the November issue of Volksworld and Volksworld site (right click => save as..):
http://www.volksworld.com/imageBank/v/VW_Beetle_oval_window_01.jpg
http://www.volksworld.com/imageBank/v/VW_Beetle_oval_window_02.jpg

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 08:21:49 am »

What a beautiful Oval. All dane's have great taste in cars.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
48IDA66

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 12:45:29 pm »

Thanks Tero.. Wink... and Rick M for your statement!!..
Rennsurfer

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 14:11:43 pm »

Fuchs, are there other wheels?  Wink Check the November issue of Volksworld and Volksworld site (right click => save as..):
http://www.volksworld.com/imageBank/v/VW_Beetle_oval_window_01.jpg
http://www.volksworld.com/imageBank/v/VW_Beetle_oval_window_02.jpg

WOW! Beautiful car, Sir. Thanks for the pics. I don't have that issue. Gotta find a source that sells VolksWorld mags in the States.

~Sarge
8 spoke

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 02:15:19 am »

I love that exhaust on Glenn's car. His is the inspiration for me going to A-1 Muffler and having Tiger building me this custom 1 5/8" sidewinder merged header. Then, he angled my Magnaflow stainless steel muffler 45 degrees on the passenger side, next to the 1 5/8" flanged heater boxes (also from Tiger). Finally, I told Tiger what I wanted for the exhaust tips and he took care of me.

I'm VERY happy with the overall look, performance, and quality. I've always wanted to somehow tuck a merged collector under a Type 1 body but use the factory cutouts on the rear valance (apron).

Excellent ground clearance, too! Which is one of the main things I was aiming for. Plus, I didn't want the same look as everyone else. By the way, the muffler that Tiger set me up with is GREAT! Very quiet and has multiple i
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:20:30 am by 8 spoke » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: