The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 18:57:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Welded Cranks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Welded Cranks  (Read 2384 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: November 10, 2008, 22:24:05 pm »

What is the limit on how much stroke you can get out of a welded crank? Any other thoughts on welded strokers vs. the 4130 forged cranks available now?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 22:55:01 pm »

....watch side clearances. I've seen welded cranks that weren't consistent. The combination of welded cranks and aftermarket rods can create an even worse situation. Kyle Madden's motor was a nightmare when I disassembled it (and it had stock 311 rods).
Demello and DPR cranks have a worthwhile reputation. Not sure where Kyle's came from. With stock rods we had .004" on some journals (depending on where you clocked it) and .018" on others.
We had them narrowed. Thing is, if you run an aftermarket rod, most likely you're going to find side clearances are either really tight (my old Bugpacks on Scat crank were .004"-.006") or really wide (like .020"+)
What are you building?
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 22:57:27 pm »

Off Topic. Jim got his package. Louis did you get yours ?

Done ? Not Yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 00:42:37 am »

....watch side clearances. I've seen welded cranks that weren't consistent. The combination of welded cranks and aftermarket rods can create an even worse situation. Kyle Madden's motor was a nightmare when I disassembled it (and it had stock 311 rods).
Demello and DPR cranks have a worthwhile reputation. Not sure where Kyle's came from. With stock rods we had .004" on some journals (depending on where you clocked it) and .018" on others.
We had them narrowed. Thing is, if you run an aftermarket rod, most likely you're going to find side clearances are either really tight (my old Bugpacks on Scat crank were .004"-.006") or really wide (like .020"+)
What are you building?

84 x 94

Probably CB or Scat H beams. (5.4 or 5.5)

Off Topic. Jim got his package. Louis did you get yours ?

Yes Thanks! It came this weekend but I have not had a chance to listen to them yet. Was out of town at a show since Thursday. Holiday tomorrow so I should get some time to listen to them then.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Steve D.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:46:02 am »

Jose at DPR has made a few 92mm cranks out of a regular type 1 69 for "special" projects, and I've run his welded strokers as an 82vw journal, and an 86 chevy journal with some *extra* features I asked him to do.  I've never seen anybody break a well made welded stroker crank, my brand of choice is obviously DPR.

http://www.dprmachine.com/

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:45 am »

What special options did you include?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

flatfire

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:38:45 pm »

Jose at DPR has made a few 92mm cranks out of a regular type 1 69 for "special" projects, and I've run his welded strokers as an 82vw journal, and an 86 chevy journal with some *extra* features I asked him to do.  I've never seen anybody break a well made welded stroker crank, my brand of choice is obviously DPR.

http://www.dprmachine.com/

Thats put a smile on my face. I have one of Jose's cranks ready for my project. Its a wedgemate, he  has marked on the flywheel what size of shims I will need for end float.
I have been brought up with crank grinding and quality work , visually the crank looks spot on.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: