The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 23:10:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Reverse view of a famous photo...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Reverse view of a famous photo...  (Read 10017 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« on: November 15, 2008, 13:29:57 pm »

Thought you guys might like to see this. Everyone knows the famous Hot VWs photos of the DKP II line-up. Well, here's the same photoshoot from the rear:

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 13:30:55 pm »

Look at those behinds from then Grin Grin Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 15:25:36 pm »

Now THAT is a very cool photo, Keith. Very worthy of being in print, too. (hint, hint)

Grin

Seriously, though... thanks for sharing.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 15:39:13 pm »

Great "behind" the scenes shot Keith!

Thanks!!

~DR.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 15:45:37 pm »

Cool shot dude  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
deano

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 17:47:30 pm »

Another Deano production.... total chaos behind the camera! That is a great photo, and it looks so easy when the photo is done. I remember that day well. That park is right off the 57 freeway, off the Imperial exit. We did that without permission, no permits, no nothing! Today, we would be thrown in jail...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 17:49:34 pm »

thanks 4 sharing! What a cool pic...

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 18:04:28 pm »

If you look closely, you can probably see Deano drinking a diet Coke, too...

See you next week, Deano!

Sarge

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 18:10:52 pm »

Big deal.... it's a transparency (slide), guys.  When you look at it from one side, it's the front of the cars, and when you flip it over, it's the BACK of the cars.....  sheeeeeeesh Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Stephan S

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 18:39:53 pm »

Thought you guys might like to see this. Everyone knows the famous Hot VWs photos of the DKP II line-up. Well, here's the same photoshoot from the rear:

What a great picture! Thanks Keith!

Another Deano production.... total chaos behind the camera! That is a great photo, and it looks so easy when the photo is done. I remember that day well. That park is right off the 57 freeway, off the Imperial exit. We did that without permission, no permits, no nothing! Today, we would be thrown in jail...

And 30 years later, Deano is still goofing around...
(Pic by Satoshi - Street VWs Mag)

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 19:35:01 pm »

One thing I always wondered was - Why did they not line up the two chop top's the same Huh

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 19:45:49 pm »

Neat Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 20:00:48 pm »

One thing I always wondered was - Why did they not line up the two chop top's the same Huh
Amateurs...  Roll Eyes

nicolas

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 20:26:25 pm »

i like it. the shot is so cool. i always like those cars the best (off all dkp shots in the park)
Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 21:56:49 pm »

Amateurs...  Roll Eyes

its just one of those things that ALWAYS bugged me about that shot  Roll Eyes Smiley I am a virgo its in my nature aparently.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 23:10:59 pm »

its just one of those things that ALWAYS buggered me about that shot  Roll Eyes Smiley I am a virgin its in my nature aparently.
That figures... Cheesy

deano

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 01:33:21 am »

I figure that shot was taken in March 1977, and it was my first cover shot for HVWs... June 1977 issue. KS, you should post the shot of the chop top towing Mike O'Neill's black sedan behind it...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
dougmische

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 02:37:42 am »

They'd have to catch us first... Grin
dougmische

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 02:38:57 am »

Big deal.... it's a transparency (slide), guys.  When you look at it from one side, it's the front of the cars, and when you flip it over, it's the BACK of the cars.....  sheeeeeeesh Roll Eyes Grin

LOL  What a maroon!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 22:50:43 pm »

waouwww great picture keith  Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 23:25:26 pm »

waouwww great picture keith  Cool
Thought you'd like it Fabs!  Grin

Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 23:26:21 pm »

its just one of those things that ALWAYS buggered me about that shot  Roll Eyes Smiley I am a virgin its in my nature aparently.
That figures... Cheesy

Hey I only just notice that  Angry Angry Angry Wink Smiley

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 22:16:50 pm »

who owned the beige one  ,the one with the hubcab ,at the left of  mike o'neill 67  Huh Huh

dougmische

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 22:28:41 pm »

who owned the beige one  ,the one with the hubcab ,at the left of  mike o'neill 67  Huh Huh

Are you talking about the beige Bug in the rear? 

If so, I think that car belonged to Marty Arriola.  As of a few years ago, he had a VW repair shop on Dyer Road in Santa Ana, CA.
nicolas

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 22:51:58 pm »

Ok i maybe pushing it a bit, but if possible some people could post some more info on those cars and off course specs  Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 22:55:41 pm »

Ok i maybe pushing it a bit, but if possible some people could post some more info on those cars and off course specs  Grin

Glad you asked cos I was about to  Wink Smiley

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 22:56:26 pm »

Are you talking about the beige Bug in the rear? 

If so, I think that car belonged to Marty Arriola.  As of a few years ago, he had a VW repair shop on Dyer Road in Santa Ana, CA.
thx doug  we know  the most popular car in the dkp II like
al jr martinez chop top
keith goss  chop top
roger crago  kg
mike billing red 67
your kg
mike o'neill 67
randy welch red ragtop
mike martinez yellow 67
Bill Rodgers and Bill DeMoss kg
harvey rosenthal burgundy red66
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 23:02:35 pm by speedwell » Logged

dougmische

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 23:30:23 pm »

WOW.  I can't help much, and this 55 year old brain [56 years tomorrow] forgets more stuff every day...  Damn bong.

Mike O'Neill had a 1700 with Fumio heads and a 140 Engle, and this car ripped.  It ran in the 12's and beat lots of cars with bigger motors.  I remember Mike ran very tight 3rd and 4th ratios with a 4.37.  Nobody that raced him would ever believe it was only a 1700.

Ron Greiner's car [to the right of O'Neill's] ran a 78.4x92 with a 125 Engle, but I don't know whose heads.  Mike and Ron were always racing each other for position on the Top 10 board.  Ron broke so many transaxles that he earned the nickname "Grenade".  He still has a vanity plate on his truck that reads "Grinade".

I think Ron had the biggest motor in the Club until I built a 84x90.5 for my Ghia.  It had an Engle 130, and 44x37.5 heads with big ports, done by a guy named Stu Thomas, who had formerly worked for John Crawford, older brother of none other than Roger Crawford.  I'd love to find those heads, but I know Roger can make a set that's even better.

Mark Mallinckrodt [he always said I was the only one who could ever spell his name, except for him and his brother], white '67 European in front of O'Neill's, ran a 1700 with 42's and a 110, and he was always trying to see if he could get 40 mpg.  He was fanatical about it.  He drove that car like a 90 year-old without a license, until somebody wanted to race, and then he drove like a 16 year-old without a license. He built a plexi dash for his car that was mirrored, and when the sun came in just right, it would blind you.

Don Metz owned the brown car to the left of Mark's and he ran a 1600 with a 110, if I'm remembering right.

Ghias up front were mine and Roger Grago's on the left, and Bill Rodgers' and Bill DeMoss' on the right.  Roger ran a 1776 with 42's and later 48's, with a 120 and ported heads.  That car always ran very well, especially for a Ghia.  Can't remember what Rodgers' and DeMoss' cars had.

Everybody knows about Keith Goss' choptop I think, but for those that don't it was a 84x90.5 with heads done at FAT Performance [possibly by Keith himself] and 48's.  Keith Seume remembers the engine stats better than I can, since he bought the car from Keith Goss.  Keith [Goss] was never really officially in the club, but that was his choice.  He always ran with us and we always considered him a member anyway.

Most of the guys ran 1700's or 1776's because strokers were expensive, and we were almost all poor.  Lots of the guys started with 42's and switched to 48's later.  Popular cam choices were Engle 120, 125, and 130's.  Cannot remember anybody running anything else.  Except Nutty O'Neill.  Don't think anybody ran a ratio rocker cam, but I could be wrong.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but if we can dredge some of the car owners up, we can ask 'em.

Doug Mische
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 23:36:05 pm by dougmische » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 23:36:22 pm »

thx for the info doug  Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 19:39:58 pm »

WOW.  I can't help much, and this 55 year old brain [56 years tomorrow] forgets more stuff every day...  Damn bong.

Mike O'Neill had a 1700 with Fumio heads and a 140 Engle, and this car ripped.  It ran in the 12's and beat lots of cars with bigger motors.  I remember Mike ran very tight 3rd and 4th ratios with a 4.37.  Nobody that raced him would ever believe it was only a 1700.

Ron Greiner's car [to the right of O'Neill's] ran a 78.4x92 with a 125 Engle, but I don't know whose heads.  Mike and Ron were always racing each other for position on the Top 10 board.  Ron broke so many transaxles that he earned the nickname "Grenade".  He still has a vanity plate on his truck that reads "Grinade".

I think Ron had the biggest motor in the Club until I built a 84x90.5 for my Ghia.  It had an Engle 130, and 44x37.5 heads with big ports, done by a guy named Stu Thomas, who had formerly worked for John Crawford, older brother of none other than Roger Crawford.  I'd love to find those heads, but I know Roger can make a set that's even better.

Mark Mallinckrodt [he always said I was the only one who could ever spell his name, except for him and his brother], white '67 European in front of O'Neill's, ran a 1700 with 42's and a 110, and he was always trying to see if he could get 40 mpg.  He was fanatical about it.  He drove that car like a 90 year-old without a license, until somebody wanted to race, and then he drove like a 16 year-old without a license. He built a plexi dash for his car that was mirrored, and when the sun came in just right, it would blind you.

Don Metz owned the brown car to the left of Mark's and he ran a 1600 with a 110, if I'm remembering right.

Ghias up front were mine and Roger Grago's on the left, and Bill Rodgers' and Bill DeMoss' on the right.  Roger ran a 1776 with 42's and later 48's, with a 120 and ported heads.  That car always ran very well, especially for a Ghia.  Can't remember what Rodgers' and DeMoss' cars had.

Everybody knows about Keith Goss' choptop I think, but for those that don't it was a 84x90.5 with heads done at FAT Performance [possibly by Keith himself] and 48's.  Keith Seume remembers the engine stats better than I can, since he bought the car from Keith Goss.  Keith [Goss] was never really officially in the club, but that was his choice.  He always ran with us and we always considered him a member anyway.

Most of the guys ran 1700's or 1776's because strokers were expensive, and we were almost all poor.  Lots of the guys started with 42's and switched to 48's later.  Popular cam choices were Engle 120, 125, and 130's.  Cannot remember anybody running anything else.  Except Nutty O'Neill.  Don't think anybody ran a ratio rocker cam, but I could be wrong.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but if we can dredge some of the car owners up, we can ask 'em.

Doug Mische

That's quite a memory Doug. I can't remember that much about the motor in my car right now.  Roll Eyes

Cool info.... I'm a sponge for all these old details on who's heads, which cam, etc.

see ya soon,
Jim
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: