The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:46:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A small piece of paper....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A small piece of paper....  (Read 8925 times)
deano

« on: November 19, 2008, 03:53:32 am »

For the longest time, I have wondered where my old '67 went to. I know the rumors about its demise, and I have basically wrote the old blue '67 off and don't expect to ever see it again. But of course, I have wondered about doing a search using the old VIN to see if anything would come up at the DMV. But, I have lost every old renewal notice and registration paper I ever had for it years ago. I know the old black license plate number (USJ110), but when the new owners bought the car in '75, Mike Martin HAD to have the new blue plates, and they were (NYF777).

I have found the now famous traffic ticket that caused me to be arrested for no bumpers. And a handful of other fix-it tickets and one other noteable 75mph speeding ticket through downtown Fullerton with a Taco Bell bean burrito in my lap. All in file. But still, no VIN to use for a search.... until tonight.

While searching for something totally unrelated, I came across a file folder of old DMV papers, and history of my many old cars (other '67s, Austin, Anglia, Thames, etc). So, I came across a folded piece of notebook paper and there it was, my original bill of sale dated October 22, 1971. My VW Blue '67 was purchased for $800 from this guy and his daughter in Lakewood. And among my description, there it was, the original VIN..... 117438355....! Now, I do not know where this will lead, if anywhere, but I will at least give it a try. So, this mystery is solved, but a much bigger one remains....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:59:03 am »

Congrats Deano!! I thought all '67 guys had their VIN's memorized? 117117279 reporting for duty here... Wink
First Doug, now Frenchy, next could possibly be you. Good luck! Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
2manytoys

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:59:23 am »

Didn't I see you on America's Most Wanted 1974 edition? I think the trend of finding our old VWs is gaining momentum. good luck.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:05:52 am »

Will 2009 be the year of "found" cars?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
deano

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:15:32 am »

On an unrelated note. I once had the VIN of Jim Holmes' car, and years ago ran the numbers through the DMV. But I have lost that one as well..

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:25:06 am »

Cool, Deano! Good luck in finding that car. I'd love to locate my orange '66, too. Had original black plates (SSV 169) when I sold it in 1985. To a guy with really long hair (Greg, I think) was all that remember. Never saw the car again.

Again, I hope that you find yours. 

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
2manytoys

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:28:06 am »

On an unrelated note. I once had the VIN of Jim Holmes' car, and years ago ran the numbers through the DMV. But I have lost that one as well..

Sorry Dean,...got the Holmes mixed up there.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 15:36:01 pm by 2manytoys » Logged

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:08:02 am »

I'm sure I used to see the old Holmes car in Lakewood... probably around 1982 or so. The driver was a female who worked at Hap's auto parts. The car no longer had BRM's, it was pretty beat, but I'm sure it was it... Rayburn-- back me up on this one! Remember??

~DR.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:24:07 am »

Yes, I remember you driving me over to see the car. We talked to her briefly, and she said something about driving the car into the ground.

I also park at Nick's.
deano

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:46:12 am »

Yes, I remember you driving me over to see the car. We talked to her briefly, and she said something about driving the car into the ground.

That was Kristie for sure. I could have bought that car for $1200 at that time....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 09:07:07 am »

That was Kristie for sure. I could have bought that car for $1200 at that time....
why don't you buy the car for sure  you will have this one today

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:01:38 pm »

cool, keep us posted Dean Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 15:09:18 pm »

$1200... I'm not suprised. The car had history at the time, but nothing like today.

There was another very distinct car that used to run around Lakewood in the mid 70's. It was a bright yellow traditional Cal-Look car with red BRM's... I think it was a '65... Does that car sound famaliar to anybody?
I was working a deal to buy the BRM's for $500 plus my EMPI 5 spokes but the deal fell through.

~DR.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 16:12:55 pm »

We'd need a time machine, Fabian, Dave and I saw it together about 28 years ago.

$1200... I'm not suprised. The car had history at the time, but nothing like today.

There was another very distinct car that used to run around Lakewood in the mid 70's. It was a bright yellow traditional Cal-Look car with red BRM's... I think it was a '65... Does that car sound famaliar to anybody?
I was working a deal to buy the BRM's for $500 plus my EMPI 5 spokes but the deal fell through.

~DR.
                                              Dave, do you remember the little Mexican lady with the BRM equipped GTV car that wouldn't turn loose of anything? She was always around Lakewood- Long Beach..

I also park at Nick's.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 16:27:52 pm »

We'd need a time machine, Fabian, Dave and I saw it together about 28 years ago

if i've a time machine , the mid70's  to mid 80's will be my first choice and suppose never come back those days  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 16:33:37 pm by speedwell » Logged

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 17:03:02 pm »

We'd need a time machine, Fabian, Dave and I saw it together about 28 years ago.

~DR.
                                              Dave, do you remember the little Mexican lady with the BRM equipped GTV car that wouldn't turn loose of anything? She was always around Lakewood- Long Beach..

Yes.

It was a red '67 GTV with all the trimmings. That car was somewhat beat (we'd call it "patina" today) but she would not part with it... she didn't even want to talk about the car.
The other GTV car I remember was that '70 or '71 you were always eyeballing in the Lakewood Sheriff's parking lot.

~DR.
deano

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 17:31:50 pm »

Well, the end of the trail. The mighty VW Blue '67 is no longer in the system. Which doesn't mean it still could be a sand buggy out in Glamis somewhere... Thanks Dave.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 17:42:33 pm »

Well, the end of the trail. The mighty VW Blue '67 is no longer in the system. Which doesn't mean it still could be a sand buggy out in Glamis somewhere... Thanks Dave.

Maybe it's outside the U.S.?

~DR.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 17:52:53 pm »

Maybe it's outside the U.S.?

~DR.

...or Californ-ya.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 17:57:15 pm »

It could also be in any other state in the U.S. and it would not show up on the calif DMV

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 17:57:41 pm »

That's too bad. I was scanning this thread, getting hopeful for you...
Funny, I use the VIN decode thing all day long @ work when a customer has no idea what he's working on and wants to order parts. I've often thought of punching my '67's VIN in just for fun. Anybody else ever send their VIN to VW GmbH?
lawrence

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 19:19:07 pm »

Dean, I remember that semaphore story about you trying to beat the lights in fullerton. Good one, but I swear that you were at Del Taco not Taco Bell. Grin

Jim, I sent my VIN to Germany and got one of those Birth Certificates. They list all the original details about a car (color, m-codes, etc.), but they could not tell me where my car was delivered. They only knew it was exported to the US.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 19:57:22 pm »

~DR.

Yes.

It was a red '67 GTV with all the trimmings. That car was somewhat beat (we'd call it "patina" today) but she would not part with it... she didn't even want to talk about the car.
The other GTV car I remember was that '70 or '71 you were always eyeballing in the Lakewood Sheriff's parking lot.

~DR.
dave is this that  one Huh

Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 19:59:19 pm »

That car was Larry McKenzie's for a few years. he found it in Deep South of all places.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 20:43:44 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 20:00:08 pm »

that one was in socal some year ago if i remember that was chris morley who had this one  
el dub is it correct ??

rgd
fabs

Jim Ratto

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 20:02:30 pm »

that one was in socal some year ago if i remember that was chris morley who had this one  
el dub is it correct ??

rgd
fabs

I think Larry had it in the mid to late 90's
had to have been... I met Lary in 1994, and it was shortly after that I went and saw this car @ his house in North Oakland. He still had his 356 project back then, and the red' 67 with Neal discs, the 1955cc and the Japanese BRMs (Larry's '67 was first car I saw in person with FF BRM's way back when).

Larry?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 20:12:59 pm »

el dub is it correct ??

rgd
fabs

I think Larry had it in the mid to late 90's
had to have been... I met Lary in 1994, and it was shortly after that I went and saw this car @ his house in North Oakland. He still had his 356 project back then, and the red' 67 with Neal discs, the 1955cc and the Japanese BRMs (Larry's '67 was first car I saw in person with FF BRM's way back when).

Larry?
i know that larry own the car , but after it's chris morley no ??

and here's some advert from the car in hot vws

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 20:39:17 pm »

I FU%KIN LOVE EL DUBS GTV Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 20:43:05 pm »

i know that larry own the car , but after it's chris morley no ??

Yep, that's what Larry told me last year...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 22:53:09 pm »

I FU%KIN LOVE EL DUBS GTV Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Me too
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: