The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 17:35:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Scandinavian Cal-look Classic (the event)
| | |-+  UK to SCC 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: UK to SCC 2009  (Read 25432 times)
Jesus

« on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:58 pm »

After Jan Holm's quality Bus racing performances at 2009 and his entry into www.ultimatestreetbays.co.uk,

Maddog and I (uk founders of USB) are planning on coming across,

Having never really travelled in sweden or norway we are after any and all useful information we can gather,

The first battle to overcome is deciding which route to take,

Currently i think we are heading for a Tilbury (uk) to Gothenburg (sweden) ferry and a 4 hr drive from there!

Anything, particularily VW or automotive related that we can fit into the same trip, please feel free to point us at it! We would like to make the most of our time in your beautiful countries Cheesy

All information and advice greatfully recieved,

Thanks Kindly

alex (aka jesus)

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
ESH

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 13:08:18 pm »

In short it's a long way but it'd still be worth doing if it was twice as far.  Cool

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 14:52:25 pm »

After Jan Holm's quality Bus racing performances at 2009 and his entry into www.ultimatestreetbays.co.uk,

Maddog and I (uk founders of USB) are planning on coming across,

Having never really travelled in sweden or norway we are after any and all useful information we can gather,

The first battle to overcome is deciding which route to take,

Currently i think we are heading for a Tilbury (uk) to Gothenburg (sweden) ferry and a 4 hr drive from there!

Anything, particularily VW or automotive related that we can fit into the same trip, please feel free to point us at it! We would like to make the most of our time in your beautiful countries Cheesy

All information and advice greatfully recieved,

Thanks Kindly

alex (aka jesus)

Now come on if your gonna do it - do it properly! The route goes England, France, Belguim, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and finally Norway - its only about 1200miles each way  Wink Smiley

Just kidding dude - which ever way you go it is an AWSOME show/place to visit - you'll be able to read about our trip VERY soon in a certain little VW magazine Wink Smiley

The only real tip I can give you is In Sweden you MUST have your headlight on at ALL times day, See you there guys  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 15:25:32 pm »

WOW! I think it`s awsome that you guys are coming over to race your bay`s !
The Tilbury (uk) to Gothenburg (sweden) route is unknown to me. Where can I find info about it? This may be a very good alternative, and the trip from Gothenburg to Oslo is a easy piece Wink

I have a dream.....  getting membership in Ultimate Street Bays with the SCC bay  Roll Eyes
I have a propper 091 gearbox built by Transwork which goes in this winter. I also have parts for a 2110ccm engine...so if the time is there...hmm mabye next year Wink

See you!

Berger
SCC crew

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:35:49 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Jesus

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 13:12:27 pm »

Cheers for the comments,

I love your SCC Panel, was all over it at EBI2 Cheesy Would be great to have a run with you at some point next year Cheesy

http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Presentation/Bridges/AngloBridge.htm

Thats the link for the Ferry would be awesome if we could group book? or create a discount?

Cheers

alex

(p.s. i'd love to drive the whole 1200 miles but can't afford the petrol and think we shall get much more enjoyment about mouching about in norway and sweden, rather than just driving flat out Wink )

EspenX

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:02:02 pm »

So cool to hear that Jan Holm's racing at SCC this year and entry into USB is bringing buses over from the UK! I know Jan has inspired several people here in Norway to race their buses at SCC09. And Jan himself has awsome plans Smiley

When it comes to automotive related stuff to see, I have promised Berger and the SCC crew to gather some information for guests from abroad. I will have it ready around New Year's.

Jesus

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:40:32 pm »

Awesome thanks Cheesy

holmsen

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 13:07:27 pm »

Grin Grin Grin this is wonderful news,,
see you guys at wolksworld
Jan.
Jesus

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 13:13:26 pm »

Be good to meet,

really looking forward to picking your brains about SCC

Look for the banner's, chris and I won't be far away Cheesy

FreddyB

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 21:27:19 pm »

There is also an opportunity to go Harwich - Esbjerg and then Hirtshals - Larvik..

But then again, then it's a boatrace.. Do it the hard way - like monkiboy says.  Grin
Jesus

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:43 pm »

There is also an opportunity to go Harwich - Esbjerg and then Hirtshals - Larvik..

But then again, then it's a boatrace.. Do it the hard way - like monkiboy says.  Grin

I looked at that combo of ferries but it seemed to be REALLY expensive,

I'd love to do it the hard way, I covered over 2000 miles in europe in 2008, but the cost of fuel caused me major issues,

For 2009's trip am trying to work out the most cost affective, and also if i can spend a week cruising about the fjords rather than a week just trying to get to and from the UK i know which i'd prefer to do, I want to enjoy all of my journey and not just HAVE to get somewhere Wink Cheesy

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 13:10:33 pm »

The most cost effective would be to send the car by Torline to Brevik, and fly with Ryan air to Sandefjord-Torp, and catch the bus down to Brevik... takes about 1 hour.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
EspenX

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 00:02:45 am »

Jesus, we are a bunch of VW-guys talking about doing a fjord cruise the week prior to SCC09, read more about it here http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6826.msg102654.html#msg102654

JHU's suggestion is absolutely worth looking into, but I am not entirely sure you will get to Norway any cheaper than driving yourself. But it might be a quicker and more comfortable alternative to driving or going by ferries via Denmark. Their route is from Newcastle to Brevik, perhaps from other UK ports aswell.

Flying to Torp is cheap enough and if you do, I think I can guarantee that any USB guests coming over with their buses will be picked up at Torp (in a Bay obviously) and driven to their car in Brevik Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 16:13:15 pm by EspenX » Logged
Jesus

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 15:32:52 pm »

THANK YOU, Thats an awesome offer, I'll be getting in touch with Maddog USB founder and discussing our options very soon Cheesy

R/TLook

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 20:35:29 pm »

Great idea to come over guys, Monkiboy is rigth about the headlights and please donŽt forget to use the right hand lane the roads. ;-)
If you decide to go via Sweden make sure to fill up with food, bevereges and gas in Sweden before you pass the Norwegian border, this I can guarantee you, will save you some money to put in the tank instead.

Welcome
(Car related stuff, you asked about, this might be like cursing in church in this forum, but Volvo has a great museum in Gothenburg there has been some Volvo based/supported hotrods there that is really inovative, midengine, carbonchassie, one of body designs no "offtheshelfcrap" built by Leif Tufvesson. Google Volvo Hot rod Jakob if it sounds interessting.)
Jesus

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:48 am »

Thanks Fella, Thats exactly the kind of info i was after Cheesy

A Very Merry Christmas to one and all Cheesy

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 16:28:02 pm »

I will be making the trip in the fiat Smiley big or small motor who knows ...
Jesus

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 19:03:23 pm »

With Fuel at a sensible price i really want to drive it now Cheesy

just picked my van up from the painters where it went in for a quick 2 week resto,

thought you might enjoy these vids Cheesy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WBNpKG6UVt4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WBNpKG6UVt4</a>

Last night i was watching the SCC 2008 DVD,

couldn't help myself today Cheesy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cGzXx8fINJI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cGzXx8fINJI</a>

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 20:20:09 pm »

That's what I always suspected Jesus! It's all done with smoke and mirrors!!  Wink Grin

Your bay sounds healthy!!  Shocked Shocked
ROLL ON SCC 2009!!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Jesus

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 15:38:07 pm »

Grin

looking at the following (awaiting a few yes or no's)

Sun 9th england to france (not sure what type of transport yet) Ferry £50 return tunnel £140 return

Mon 10th DRIVE

Tue 11th DRIVE evening ferry overnight coppenhagen to oslo (DFDS) £230 return including cabins but no food

Wed 12th Arrive have a few days to do touristy bits (i wanna drive around and look at pretty scenery)

Thu 13th More of the same

Fri 14th Sign on for racing

Sat 15th Race (gently tis a long way home )

Sun 16th Race / observe

Mon 17th day to chill Overnight ferry oslo to coppenhagen

Tue 18th DRIVE

Wed 19th DRIVE afternoon ferry/tunnel back to the uk

Home late that night!

Jesus

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 15:45:29 pm »

The Tilbury (uk) to Gothenburg (sweden) route is unknown to me. Where can I find info about it? This may be a very good alternative, and the trip from Gothenburg to Oslo is a easy piece Wink

I have a dream.....  getting membership in Ultimate Street Bays with the SCC bay  Roll Eyes
I have a propper 091 gearbox built by Transwork which goes in this winter. I also have parts for a 2110ccm engine...so if the time is there...hmm mabye next year Wink

See you!

Berger
SCC crew

How are things with the SCC Panel,

Looking forward to seeing you on the start line Cheesy

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 18:21:28 pm »

See you!

Berger
SCC crew

How are things with the SCC Panel,

Looking forward to seeing you on the start line Cheesy

The progress is fine, thank you. But not as fast as with your bus Wink
At the moment the 091 gear box is in with a temporary 1950 torque engine mounted just to have the bus drivable until the 2110 engine is ready. 
Gathering parts, and just about to begin the assembling of the engine.

And I am looking forward to meet you at the starting line for sure! It`s going to be the best weekend ever!  Grin

and BTW; your travel schedule looks good!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 18:24:00 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 22:13:59 pm »

Looks like Oslo is going to be busy the Øya Festival is on the some weekend as SCC.

Hahaha your killing me.........
JS

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 23:04:08 pm »

You certainly have done your research, Martin!
While it may seem like a good idea to pop down to Oslo city on saturday evening to watch the Arctic Monkeys(no known connection to "our" monkey), trust me - you WILL want to stay for burgers and a few beers at the infamous Screwdrivers tent...  Grin

Signature.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 23:19:36 pm »

It OK i will not be going to the Festival.

But i hear that the The Viking ship museum is a must and the Fram an Kon-Tiki museum is also good. Also "Aker Brygge" is the place to have a drink, sitting at the pier, watching the sunset, boats and girls. Grin

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 23:41:11 pm »

But i hear that the The Viking ship museum is a must and the Fram an Kon-Tiki museum is also good. Also "Aker Brygge" is the place to have a drink, sitting at the pier, watching the sunset, boats and girls. Grin

HEY! Snap out of it! FOCUS! Picture a 100% straight, newly glued track and the sweat smell of track bite instead.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 23:45:08 pm »

We get into town on Wednesday till Tuesday got to have a look around. Wink

Oh and as always my car will be broke by about 11am on Saturday. Cheesy

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 00:16:44 am »

HEY! Snap out of it! FOCUS! Picture a 100% straight, newly glued track and the sweat smell of track bite instead.

OHHHHHHH I'm gettin all excited just thinkin about it  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
richie

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 02:55:36 am »

FOCUS!

That is not a word you associate with Martin Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Jesus

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 21:40:23 pm »

Copenhagen to Oslo Return Ferry is Booked, travel out on the Tuesday night (the 11th) along with Martin and traveling back Monday night (the 17th). Think that's a night before Martin. (I need to back in the Uk for work at the end of the week).

Thats 2 UK quick Bays all booked on the ferry etc so no changing minds now Cheesy

I'm very excited, Just gotta wait for next month now to be able to actually sign in and buy some tickets Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: