The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 17:18:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Engine size vs. Engine bay capacity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engine size vs. Engine bay capacity  (Read 1759 times)
Eric Justus

« on: November 27, 2008, 02:13:21 am »

Here is another question off my hot stove mind....So i am out in the garage today fiddling with the new RLR cage I got fabbed up and where I will weld it to the frame...so I popped out a few magazines from over the years and one thing I did see in regards to engine bays....some guys have gutted the type 1 engine bay in regards to the sie package trays and rear "tray" (whatever you want to call it) that holds the seal for larger motors, as well as a few guys here and there that have the "weber" holes cut in the sides of the fender wells. Some had full engine tin, some didn't. My question is, depending on the application, does it really make it easier to install, take out and work on the motor in the engine bay of a type 1 with all of that removed/modified? I am looking at only running cylinder head tin with fans attached and no other sheet metal, but would it make it easier for me to enlarge the engine bay size? Now I know there are some opinions on this  Huh Shocked Smiley

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:40:31 am »

If it will be a drag only car cut away all of the stuff you mentioned,makes live easier when you have to reach for something on the engine.

Fast vw beetle's rule
Roman

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 16:38:57 pm »

Use a piston with low pin height, like 24 or so mm. My 2387 and my 2789 with 5.7" rods was narrower than stock.
When I installed a bus trans everything was moved to the right and with terminators it was necessary to cut some, but the "shelves" on the side of the engine are still there.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: