The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 22:04:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Chromoly or Mild steel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Chromoly or Mild steel  (Read 4769 times)
71CALRIPPER

« on: November 24, 2008, 14:25:24 pm »

OK in a right state trying to decide which metal to go for. Jim Smith has been a saint and said at the end of the day its down to what i can afford.

Bit of background the Fiat 600 is having a full cage and rear gearbox cradle work to make it all fit, wieght isnt a massive issue with the car as it weighs nothing anyway.

So anybody thoughts would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Rob

and incase you dont already know the car Smiley
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 14:36:57 pm »

Big Pete runs a CDS cage in his car, might be worth having the weight in something so small.

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 15:11:05 pm »

Absolutely, and with CDS you can add any brackets or further bars easily with a Mig welder - you have to Tig onto Cromoly - plus cromoly has a lifespan fo 9 years according to the MSA

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 15:26:01 pm »

So yes weight would be an issue but there is a plus side to Mild steel CDS, as i am not worried about the weight its a good choice and Pete is very successful with his fiat running a CDS cage.

Neil and BenThank you
Rob
leec

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 15:51:41 pm »

Absolutely, and with CDS you can add any brackets or further bars easily with a Mig welder - you have to Tig onto Cromoly - plus cromoly has a lifespan fo 9 years according to the MSA

Thats interesting, why 9 year life span? Is CDS much longer then?
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 16:57:55 pm »

Thats interesting, why 9 year life span? Is CDS much longer then?

Not entirely sure! Just something I remember reading several years ago. I had a cromoly cage in my last car, but the new one will be CDS. I think it gets brittle and can fracture around the welds - it is very easily damaged by heat.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
SteveW

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 18:15:17 pm »

All of this is in CDS! Yes there is a decent amount of weight saving to be gained by having the cage in chromoly but as you know its more expensive! We couldn't afford to have the car built how we want it out of 4130 so we went with CDS and got the cage you see here  Smiley If you can afford 4130 then go for it but if you can't or would rather channel the saved money into more parts then don't feel like CDS is the cheaper cousin as I don't believe it is! Your car sounds like it's going to be really cool when its done so get cracking!  Grin Grin

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 21:00:01 pm »

Thank you all for you input. GOing to put it to good use Smiley

ROb
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 21:08:23 pm »

Using cro-mo will save about a third in weight due to the thinner wall thickness. However, if weight is not an issues CDS is much more user friendly. And it's about a third of the price compared to moly! As Neil points out, CDS can be mig welded. Cro-mo can only be tigged otherwise it becomes brittle. I reckon I could have saved a small fortune in cash and about a week's worth of work had I have used CDS on my car Shocked

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Steve D.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:52:22 am »

That's a nice looking jungle gym you have going there Steve, where are you going to put the swings and the sandbox?  Grin  (seriously though, beautiful looking car.)

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
SteveW

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:20 am »

Oi!! That'll be your jungle gym when your over next Wink

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 17:30:04 pm »

Both chromoly and mild steel can be mig and tig welded both can be stress releaved at the weld joints. Mild steel needs to be thicker wall to be as strong as chromoly. Yes chromoly is a more brittle material and mild steel will bend before failure as chromoly will crack and brake but it takes alot to bend chromoly. Just my 3 1/2 cents

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
flatfire

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 23:25:32 pm »

Using mild steel for your project sounds like a great idea for weight. As far as chromoly is concerned I think the stress and the concern probably is associated with the high end of drag racing. When you see a top fuel car coming off the line its like a scalded cat, the flex/stress is amazing.  There is a British developed material from WW2 that has as good if not better qualities than chromoly its called T45.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5hc4ZJS0zs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/I5hc4ZJS0zs</a>
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 08:52:38 am »

Both chromoly and mild steel can be mig and tig welded both can be stress releaved at the weld joints. Mild steel needs to be thicker wall to be as strong as chromoly. Yes chromoly is a more brittle material and mild steel will bend before failure as chromoly will crack and brake but it takes alot to bend chromoly. Just my 3 1/2 cents

knowledge is power
58vw

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 18:15:46 pm »

looking good..cant wait to see it all done with that cage and the wheels on it...and i would go with mild steel like everyone agrees with the weight issue especially with what your putting in that for a motor Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 19:24:07 pm »

Hey Danny. How do you stress relieve cro-moly when it is mig-welded? That would be a useful tip. Thanks

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: