The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 15:23:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Outlaw Flat Four's at Santa Pod's Bug Jam 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Outlaw Flat Four's at Santa Pod's Bug Jam 2009  (Read 28241 times)
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2009, 21:07:58 pm »

Great vids Alex Cool They have a real 70's feel to them aswell Cool. Just ordered some new springs and shocks for the rear end of my car to stop it dragging its arse on the track Shocked
Matt, how do you know what springs etc to order if you haven't corner-weighted the car? Huh

All calculations thus far have proved to be bunk. The car weighs 737 kg, of which 255 is up front and 482 is on the blunt end. Taking into account the positioning of the shocks, angle and distance from pivot point is not as easy as simple math. Sometimes you just have to suck it and see. I am going for an educated guess and have ordered several sets of heavier springs. It will work eventually, I just need to play around with spring pressures and valving. Taking Russ' car as a base line I worked out the difference in distance from the pivot/spring points and calculated the initial spring pressures. They are much heavier than Russ' even though his car weighs 400 lb more than mine. My sums said 600lb springs and that proved to be way off the mark. I am now going up in spring rate considerably and will work from there onwards.

Speaking to Dave Dinning a lot over the last few weeks helped massively. Dave's experience was very similar to mine. He did all the corner weighing stuff and still went through six or seven sets of springs before he hit the nail on the head. Incidentally, Dave now runs double the spring rate that he once started off with... The proof in the pudding is in the tasting. Mnnnnn, pudding... Grin
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 21:29:54 pm by All Torque » Logged

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2009, 08:07:11 am »

Me and Russ had the very same convertaion, we think his springs are way to soft, it the fact that the car runs on the T2 bump stops once it launches. the likes of me and you dont have this facility.

Martin

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:21 am »

Are you going to up your spring rate as well Martin? After that slo-mo vid it would appear your ass is soggy, too! Unless of course you are using your muffler as a wheelie bar Grin

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2009, 22:12:22 pm »

Are you going to up your spring rate as well Martin? After that slo-mo vid it would appear your ass is soggy, too! Unless of course you are using your muffler as a wheelie bar Grin

Yeah the car is off to Websters next month, it looks like the conversion i did to the trans has let the suspension do what its suppose to do!  were also looking at the aero stuff seeing as the car is starting to fly!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Paul Bate

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2009, 08:25:49 am »

Hello All,

If you enjoyed Bug Jam then you might want to check out the Outlaw Flat Four Happenings!!

Shocked

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:27:56 am by Paul Bate » Logged

Instagram: flatfourperformance_vw

Real street since 1994 drive to the track race and drive home no bull !

11.49 Natually Aspirated
10.79 Nitrous

1960 lbs with driver!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: