The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:18:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Rod ration and lenght
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rod ration and lenght  (Read 4422 times)
airstuff

« on: December 03, 2008, 17:17:42 pm »

Hello guys,

Can somebody explain thoroughly what is the advantage of running 5.500 rod on the 2276cc engine,versus 5.394 rod,if there is any marginal  difference Roll Eyes

Is it easy to assemble.

I assume engine will be much wider with 5.5 rods.
Peter

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 18:34:07 pm »

i used 5.5 rods
my engine is only a few mms wider than stock
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:13:22 am »

5.500" rods are just plain easier to setup than 5.400" (5.397").
VW length rods with an 82 stroke crank is ceartainly do-able, but you will  have to check the case-to-piston skirt clearance.
Also, the Piston skirt-to-crank shaft will also have to be checked.
You should do these checks in any case, but you will almost certainly have to do some extra clearancing with 5.400" rods.

Plus, I prefer to have longer rods that keep the piston "inside" the cyl at BDC. This reduces "piston scuffing" issues..
 .100" doesn't sound like alot, but every little bit helps...

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
Mohawk

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 21:20:20 pm »

What's the difference between VW rod journal - 5.500" and Chevy rod journal - 5.500"?
If I use 5.500" length on the rods must I use steel barrel spacers? I will run a crank with 82mm stroke and 94mm cylinders. I don't know if I should use normal pistons from Mahle or more expensive one from Wiseco?

I'm just here because I love VW
http://mohawk-vw.blogspot.com/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 21:56:00 pm »

What's the difference between VW rod journal - 5.500" and Chevy rod journal - 5.500"?

The diameter of the big end of the rod. Smaller diameter gives more room inside the case, but also makes for a weaker crankshaft.

If I use 5.500" length on the rods must I use steel barrel spacers? I will run a crank with 82mm stroke and 94mm cylinders. I don't know if I should use normal pistons from Mahle or more expensive one from Wiseco?

You wont know until you trial assemble the engine. Mahle vs Wiseco... depends on what you are building the engine for I suppose.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Mohawk

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 22:12:56 pm »

The diameter of the big end of the rod. Smaller diameter gives more room inside the case, but also makes for a weaker crankshaft.

You wont know until you trial assemble the engine. Mahle vs Wiseco... depends on what you are building the engine for I suppose.

Is the Chevy rod journal - 5.500" stronger?
Drive fast I guess but at the same time a engine that I can drive long tripps with without problem  Smiley

I'm just here because I love VW
http://mohawk-vw.blogspot.com/
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 22:23:48 pm »

what are peoples thoughts on a 5700 rod, I umed and arghed for ages, I still think this might make better power than a 5500

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 22:42:33 pm »

Is the Chevy rod journal - 5.500" stronger?
Drive fast I guess but at the same time a engine that I can drive long tripps with without problem  Smiley

The smaller the rod journal, the weaker the crank becomes. The shorter the rod, the stronger it is.
Standard issue Mahle's will work great for your application.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
airstuff

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 13:46:34 pm »

i decided to torture myself clearencing 5.4 I-beams with the 82 crank Cheesy
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 19:45:25 pm »

what are peoples thoughts on a 5700 rod, I umed and arghed for ages, I still think this might make better power than a 5500

Peter from CSP runs a 5.7 inch rod on his 78 x 94 turbocharged CSP Ghia. He swears by this ratio for upper end power and revs. It makes 500 hp at 9,200 rpm on the JPM dyno! One hell of a wide motor for a stock bodied car though! Shocked

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 21:20:35 pm »

thanks for the reply Mat, Jim @ stateside talked me out of it, said it would really need a flanged crank as well, or he wouldn't guarantee it.  If I have a good new year I might change my mind.  84 flanged crank, 94 forged pistons, long barrels and a 5700 rod Smiley  Should be fun  Cool

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: