The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:17:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Engines with Magnetos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Engines with Magnetos  (Read 33492 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 22:05:04 pm »

Oh man what a story! love it jim!  Cheesy

Why didn't you save up for a magneto if it was THAT good?

Thanks. Shortly after this, I raced the car @ Sears Pt Raceway, in fall of 1992, and had no idea how to pre load the trans, etc. Actually that entire trip to the drags is a story in itself, as car was originally going to get trailered, but ended up getting driven. Anyway, I went pretty far in ET2 elim's running a 13.76 on 13.75 dial in, on 195/60 radials, but split trans case completely in half at drain plug. Got home and found a huge puddle of gear oil. After that I shelved the car for a good 6 months, and after that moved away to live with some girl and go to college and ran out of money really fast.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 22:12:45 pm »

away to live with some girl and go to college and ran out of money really fast.

Women seem to have a way of doing that to a guy.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 22:40:14 pm »

away to live with some girl and go to college and ran out of money really fast.

Women seem to have a way of doing that to a guy.  Wink

--louis

Some do, but not all...   Wink

Thinking about why later I never saved up for a Vertex, I ended up with the MSD stuff I have now, for a song. The box I bought for next to nothing from my old friend Mike Collins, had it tested at MSD for nothing, and got the distributor for $80 from another friend in 1995.
BUT
if I had my choice?

I'd go back to a locked mag.

To me the fewer things hung between the motor and the car the better. That's "cal look" to me.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 21:11:44 pm »

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 21:31:32 pm »

Broughton's oval.... drool...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 21:33:32 pm »

Uh huh....... Wink

You know it's for sale again, right?? Huh

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 21:51:12 pm »

Indeed I do. I'm in love with that car!

http://www.oldbug.com/ab57.htm

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 21:56:45 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 22:18:13 pm »

Jim wrote:
BUT if I had my choice?

I'd go back to a locked mag.

Why a locked-out mag? 

Years ago I understood a locked-out set up was preferred for turbo applications.  They tended to be very difficult to start.

Why not have an advance modeled after an 009 or something?

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
wolfswest

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 14:10:01 pm »

I don't have a clue what a magneto costs these days?   Huh  How much do you need to spend for a nice magneto prepped and ready for your big T1 engine?

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
JS

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 14:41:16 pm »

Oh, say about $1000 for a new Joe Hunt or $3-500 for a used one. Then about $50 if you want a converter to use a normal tach and another $150 if you want a pro-control box to use as a rev limiter.
Alternatively you could pick up a used industrial engine mag, lock it out with a welder and just go... Say about $50 if youīre lucky. But I can imagine it will be somewhat hard to start!

Signature.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 15:29:36 pm »

I'm gonnna sound REALLY STUPID here but why is it harder to start a "locked out" magneto  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 15:58:12 pm »

I don't have a clue what a magneto costs these days?   Huh  How much do you need to spend for a nice magneto prepped and ready for your big T1 engine?

You can get them from $350 - $500 if you keep an eye on the samba. This is the guy I bought mine from:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=705610

Here is another one I looked at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=649396

But then you do need to add a rev limiter and a tach converter. Plus any service it might need. Joe Hunt quoted me $250 to check mine out, lock out the timing and polish the housing. I need to get a side exit cap as well since mine has the plug wires attached at the top.

--louis

Louis Brooks

JS

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 16:06:51 pm »

Lee, wouldnīt you agree itīs basically harder to start an engine the more static ignition it has, mag ignition or not?

Louis, why do you need the side exit cap other than for looks?

Signature.
Lee.C

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 16:08:53 pm »

Lee, wouldnīt you agree itīs basically harder to start an engine the more static ignition it has, mag ignition or not?

Hmm never really thought about that but yes of course it does  Roll Eyes told you I was gonna sound silly  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

JS

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 16:18:06 pm »

Well, I think it will be harder to start at least compared to if it has a good advance curve. Maybe Jim can comment on that? JHU has a locked mag that he got checked at Don Zigīs. He didnīt seem to think it was that much of a problem.
Of course it also depends if you run 6 or 12V on the car, compression ratio, 10 year old worn out battery or a new gel cell, new super-hi-po-5hp starter or the old one that came with the car etc etc.  Wink
I thought my car was a bit hard to start with the industrial engine mag. But the advance was only 12 degrees and my battery was really old. Now Iīm sending the mag to Joe Hunt for reconditioning and a 009 advance curve. Also got a new Optima 6V battery yesterday.  Grin

Signature.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 16:30:15 pm »

Louis, why do you need the side exit cap other than for looks?

To make sure it clears my CB Linkage. And well, it just looks cleaner.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 17:28:37 pm »

Well, I think it will be harder to start at least compared to if it has a good advance curve. Maybe Jim can comment on that? JHU has a locked mag that he got checked at Don Zigīs. He didnīt seem to think it was that much of a problem.
Of course it also depends if you run 6 or 12V on the car, compression ratio, 10 year old worn out battery or a new gel cell, new super-hi-po-5hp starter or the old one that came with the car etc etc.  Wink
I thought my car was a bit hard to start with the industrial engine mag. But the advance was only 12 degrees and my battery was really old. Now Iīm sending the mag to Joe Hunt for reconditioning and a 009 advance curve. Also got a new Optima 6V battery yesterday.  Grin

Hmmm you've given me ALOT to think about for PROJECT 66, its VERY interesting that you can convert it to use a "normal" tach  Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 17:39:58 pm »

if you try to start the motor with locked advance, with either mag or MSD, with system "on" you probably will not get anywhere. I wired my CD box seperate from starter-key. The MSD is turned on after motor cranks, then a blip of throttle and it's go time. You can do the same with a mag. You can do the same with a blue coil and a simple Bosch relay too if you're running an 009 or 010 or whatever.
Sarge

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 17:40:34 pm »

Lot's of good info here..... Wink

http://www.donzig.com/techmenu.html

DKP III
JS

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 17:56:06 pm »

Hey Jim, whatīs the theory behind "priming" the system like that? Did you use a separate switch that you flip while running the starter?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 23:31:21 pm by JS » Logged

Signature.
wolfswest

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 20:43:58 pm »

I still don't understand why you have to lock the advance, if I understand correctly not everybody does it.

The story of Jim is nice but can someone else also tell their story?  Is every engine a real mean firespitting mofo after installing this beauty?  Grin
I'm running a 009 basic setup now but I want something else...  I was thinking about a msd setup but the magneto sounds tempting...  Grin

streetvw

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 20:51:16 pm »

now this is just plain showing off  Shocked Roll Eyes

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 21:07:35 pm »

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 00:07:28 am »

So how do you get that motor to float in thin air like that Martin. Cheesy Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Lee.C

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 00:16:46 am »

Hey Jim, whatīs the theory behind "priming" the system like that? Did you use a separate switch that you flip while running the starter?

Yeah I am still a little confused as to why you it won't want to start after it has been "switched on"  Undecided Huh Smiley

is it just the shear amount of charge build up  Undecided Huh Smiley

axam48ida

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 07:48:56 am »

I have ran one for years with advance and locked. Hunt and Zig offer relays to tie in with your ignition switch or like I always done which is a theft prevention and allows one to crank the motor without starting the engine. If you have an electric fuel pump and it's wired to the switch you don't have to crank the motor and worrying about it starting the motor. you can mount a toggle switch under the dash. or use a early type wiper switch. push pull type of switch.  In doing so with a separate switch It allows you to crank the motor and purp the throttle then hit the switch to ignite the mag. When you have that locked mag or distributor which is at total advance it's difficult to start when cranking the motor at few hundred rpm's. so when you let it crank and get some rotation growing then hit the switch to ignite the mag they start easier.

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 10:21:36 am »

My engine has a mag on it, set at 32-33°. Its all "on" when I turn the ignition key... and it fires right up... even when hot!? And this is with a 12 volt starter, I have been given the tip to fit a 6 volt starter which I'm going to do to get the revs up during start up, to get that "sure fire" feeling.

With a nice and healthy long duration camshaft the static CR of 11.3 doesn't affect my engine much since the dynamic is way down.
This is just my thoughts on this, there might be another reason entirely as to why it works... Roll Eyes

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 10:45:09 am »

now this is just plain showing off  Shocked Roll Eyes

And don't forget, I also had a magneto on my Okrasa-engined Split-window! I wonder who else in the UK had three cars on the street at the same time with Magnetos? Cheesy

Do you get the feeling I like them? If my 'new' car didn't already have an MSD and two-step etc, I'd run a mag in a heartbeat.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
wolfswest

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 12:30:25 pm »

keith, did you also feel a major difference like Jim did?

Sarge

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 13:51:07 pm »

If my 'new' car didn't already have an MSD and two-step etc, I'd run a mag in a heartbeat.

Maybe you should reconsider now that you've got all that book money burning a hole in your pocket..... Wink 

DKP III
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: