The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:37:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lynn Rosevear and the Auto Haus Stores
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Lynn Rosevear and the Auto Haus Stores  (Read 72723 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2008, 21:46:23 pm »

"Bill S. could probably tell you how much "air" it used to get on deliverys." I could tell you how much "Air"  kobus was gettin in it accross the field at ebi  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2008, 21:50:05 pm »

"Bill S. could probably tell you how much "air" it used to get on deliverys." I could tell you how much "Air"  kobus was gettin in it accross the field at ebi  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2008, 03:27:15 am »

More Freddy stories, please. Saw him the other day and told him that his Bug was in Keith's new Cal Look book. He's stoked. He also is still a great skateboarder, as well.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2009, 20:03:52 pm »

For those of you who had read my previous post you now kind of know what makes me tick.  The following would be the latest event to unfold in my VW life.  Please bear with me and read this through and you will see where I’m going.

On Friday morning the 10th I awoke to the first day of my 63rd year on the planet.  The past three anniversaries of this date have been somewhat different and empty for me.  Reason being, my Dad, who was my best friend, hasn’t been there for them.  I’m sure most of you would say you have or had great parents and if so you are blessed.  I was and am one of those.

My Dad introduced me to cars at a very early age.  My love for Chrysler’s was spurred on by him as when I was very young he drove a ’47 Town & Country Convert.  That car left a perminate mark on me.  By the time I turned 16 and was ready for “my car” I had spotted a ’63 Ford 406ci with a 4 speed.  Dad was fine with this until he saw the engine specs.  It was a firm “NO”, so as a rebuttal I said “then I want a VW”.  Shortly after my statement my ’63 Ruby Red Sedan from Econo Motors became a reality.  There was a kid a couple of years older than me who lived a couple of houses away and he had a Ruby Red ’62 sunroof sedan which I guess lit the fire.  Little did I know then what path that choice would do for my life.

I had saved some money and my folks helped me with the insurance, but as a box boy at the local grocery store making $1.57 per hour and having a $43.00 monthly car payment it was tight.  Saving a few bucks here and there allowed me to buy accessories for the car.

Dad never understood my urge to have these items and constantly modify the car, but he ALWAYS supported me.  He taught me very young something I’ve tired to live by and that is “I’m third”.  This is where God is first, the other guy is second and you are third.

Moving forward to last Friday, I took the day off from work so Christie and I could go to Disneyland (her favorite place).  Later in the day when returning home there was a large envelope in the mail from Lynn Rosevear.  I opened it and to my surprise Lynn & Tammy had sent me an original Auto Haus sticker along with an Auto Haus Racing Team sticker and a couple of Lynn’s early business cards.  You will see these at the bottom of this post.  This was all much appreciated, but what Lynn had written to me fulfilled my somewhat empty day to that point.  What he wrote follows:

“John Thanks for being a good friend and a great Auto Haus employee.  Auto Haus was successful due to your hard work and dedication!  Sincerely, Lynn W. Rosevear (Auto Haus 1968-1984)”

I phoned Lynn and thanked him for all of this and told him he had made my day.  Lynn was good to me over the years and I always tried to do the best for him and the company.  Even though at times I felt he did not see or appreciate my efforts I think his comments prove me wrong.

In closing I come back to my Dad for instilling in me some of his traits and I only wish he was he to read this, but in my heart I know he probably has and is smiling right now.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2009, 21:00:00 pm »

Nice story John.  And let me be the first to say that black & yellow decal with the rear view of the car is KILLER !!!  Man that's cool.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2009, 21:39:13 pm »

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL story John  Grin And I'm not going to go on about how much I want that yellow/black sticker Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2009, 22:15:05 pm »

Cool, John, very cool.  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
marc1951

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2009, 04:15:59 am »

I always had a lot of respect for Lynn Rosevear, more than I had for my partner and boss at the LaHabra store. There is a fine line between making the most money and going belly up. Buy product on credit and sell it before you pay for it....use someone elses money to make money.  Smart business but when the economy shifted and interest rates went sky high, suppliers demanded prompt payment and I'm guessing Rosevear was behind 90 to 120 days. Unless you've got a lot of cash, that's a lot to cough up at once and when you can't, the supplier puts you on COD or cuts you off and then you don't have the mdse to sell to generate the cash to bail yourself out. That's what I think happened to Auto Haus.

John,
 Yes the La Habra store was shackled with the owner's sons but it wasn't until my investment in the store was paid back and I left that they actually ran the store. The boys were good guys but Tim was, indeed "anti-help". I used to send him on wild goose chases that would hopefully take the entire day, just so I could get things done. "orifice boy" (I can't remember his real name) was just a ......well... never mind.......let's just say that meal with Mickey Thompson and his stupid question gave us all something to laugh about, even 35 years later! <grin>

Let's see.......oh Steak 'n Stein........my all time favorite dinner house.  I remember I used to run into you, John, all the time there as well as other people I only knew by first name. I've been to places as good but never better than Steak 'n Stein. When I visit So Cal, it's always on my "to do' list.

What part of Washington did Lynn migrate to?

John, do you remember a time when you and i were alone in the La Habra store, standing in the front of the store. It was pouring down rain and we were just watching and commenting on how hard it was raining, when lightening hit a transformer, not 20 ft from us. Scared the crap out of us and I know, for a moment, I thought I was dead. It was dead quiet and then I think we realized we were ok and started laughing.

good times,

Marc Buehler
5 year manager of the La Habra Auto Haus store (and the Downey store too)

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
edcraig

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2009, 05:36:44 am »

Hey fabs..just for clarification...the girl in the Auto Haus add was not Barb Folts.  This was a Auto-Haus employee by the name of Sue.  She's was used in another add too shot in the Buena Park store.  (Standing next to me behind the counter). I have a copy of that add somewhere.  I'll post it when I find it.
edcraig

« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:08 am »

Working retail at Auto Haus had pleanty of fun experiences.  Back when both Mark Herbert and Greg Borras worked in my store we had a guy come in to buy some fuses.  He was bragging about just completing re-wireing his car.  So he heads out to his car, parked right in front of the stores doors, puts in a fues for his radio.  So far so good....until he turnes on the radio, which engaged his cars starter, pushing his car thru the front of the store!

Almost as good as the guy who added brake fluid to his gas tank!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:45 am »

John L. that older Auto Haus (yellow & black) sticker is GREAT! That's one rare bird, there.

~Sarge
Dustin

« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:56 am »

John,

That note from Lynn is a sure testimony to the way you have lived your life!

I'm sure your dad "IS" VERY proud!

That's the good stuff in life!!

Dustin

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2009, 16:40:49 pm »

Hi everybody

I will have to bring out all of my cool stuff at the Bug In this year including some Auto Haus stickers / Patches catalogue etc... I have also all of my receipt from various Auto Haus stores where I had bought parts to do my 67 Ghia and other projects at the time I am sure I have some that were signed by Ed. Probably have a T Shirt somewhere

Thanks
  Frenchy ( Doc Detail )

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
johnl

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2009, 16:44:47 pm »

I always had a lot of respect for Lynn Rosevear, more than I had for my partner and boss at the LaHabra store. There is a fine line between making the most money and going belly up. Buy product on credit and sell it before you pay for it....use someone elses money to make money.  Smart business but when the economy shifted and interest rates went sky high, suppliers demanded prompt payment and I'm guessing Rosevear was behind 90 to 120 days. Unless you've got a lot of cash, that's a lot to cough up at once and when you can't, the supplier puts you on COD or cuts you off and then you don't have the mdse to sell to generate the cash to bail yourself out. That's what I think happened to Auto Haus.

John,
 Yes the La Habra store was shackled with the owner's sons but it wasn't until my investment in the store was paid back and I left that they actually ran the store. The boys were good guys but Tim was, indeed "anti-help". I used to send him on wild goose chases that would hopefully take the entire day, just so I could get things done. "orifice boy" (I can't remember his real name) was just a ......well... never mind.......let's just say that meal with Mickey Thompson and his stupid question gave us all something to laugh about, even 35 years later! <grin>

Let's see.......oh Steak 'n Stein........my all time favorite dinner house.  I remember I used to run into you, John, all the time there as well as other people I only knew by first name. I've been to places as good but never better than Steak 'n Stein. When I visit So Cal, it's always on my "to do' list.

What part of Washington did Lynn migrate to?

John, do you remember a time when you and i were alone in the La Habra store, standing in the front of the store. It was pouring down rain and we were just watching and commenting on how hard it was raining, when lightening hit a transformer, not 20 ft from us. Scared the crap out of us and I know, for a moment, I thought I was dead. It was dead quiet and then I think we realized we were ok and started laughing.

good times,

Marc Buehler
5 year manager of the La Habra Auto Haus store (and the Downey store too)

Marc,

It was Ed Craig (the gifted one) who named the brothers from the La Habra store.  We don't do Steak 'n Stein all that much as the food is to rich and way to much.  We went around New Years day and it was the first time in about two years.  It was still very good and I've now learned how to push away from the table before neuclear fission occurs.

Recently did a drive with Christie down Whittier Blvd from Harbor Blvd. in La Habra all the way to Alameda in downtown LA.  Whittier turns into 6th Street once in LA which I never knew until I drove it that far.  Anyway, untold memories poured from my mind while making that drive.

Regarding Lynn's address.  I'd be happy to supply it along with his e-mail (actually Tammy's as Lynn doesn't do computers).  E mail me privately and I'll reply.

I kinda remember the lightning.  Maybe that is why my brain doesn't work so good anymore??? Huh Huh Huh  What I do remember more is there was about a 1947 Chrysler sedan at the store location and I was drawn to it.  Gosh, wonder why???

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2009, 18:57:05 pm »

Hey fabs..just for clarification...the girl in the Auto Haus add was not Barb Folts.  This was a Auto-Haus employee by the name of Sue.  She's was used in another add too shot in the Buena Park store.  (Standing next to me behind the counter). I have a copy of that add somewhere.  I'll post it when I find it.

ok may be I have can be wanted to say that it was barb's car

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
edcraig

« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2009, 19:59:07 pm »

Yep....it's her car for sure.  We just used Sue in the adds.  I actually thought Barb was better looking, but Sue was a employee and photographed pretty well.  Many of the people in the AH catalogs were employees.
johnl

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2009, 20:23:51 pm »

A change of pace.  I just finished a call from Lynn (the Weasel) Rosevear.  That is said only because Lynn identifies himself as just that when placing a call to me  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  I'm trying to talk him to coming down to California and attending the Bug-In.  If you guys want to see him again, let him know it.......................... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2009, 20:39:47 pm »

I purchased these a few years ago from a former employee of the print shop that made them.
He said the red one may have been a prototype that wasn't used because they were still trying to decide what color to use.
Your thoughts Lynn ?
 Huh
edcraig

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2009, 20:40:55 pm »

The Auto Haus days were pretty good to me too.  I started right out of collage working as John's "flunky" in the Buena Park store.  Eight years later, John was the GM of the company chain of stores, (more of a figurehead!  ha!), and I was was the Assistant GM.  Lynn and the entire Rosevear family were great to work with.  Lynn put up with a lot of our crap, and always took it well.  Plus...pretty great having you job and hobby being one in the same.

We had so many people work there that are still in the industry, or names you see mentioned on forums.  I can't even start to think of everyone, but here's just a few that have probably already been mentioned.

Jim Edmiston
Dave Griener
Ron Griener
Don Chamberlin (aka..Dyno Dave Chambermaid)
Phil Kelly 
Jeff Kymla

Also from my own store were...

Mark Hebert
Danny Deacon
Greg Boras

All great guys to be around.

Wish my job now was as fun as it was back at Auto Haus.

johnl

« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2009, 21:39:10 pm »

The Auto Haus days were pretty good to me too.  I started right out of collage working as John's "flunky" in the Buena Park store.  Eight years later, John was the GM of the company chain of stores, (more of a figurehead!  ha!), and I was was the Assistant GM.  Lynn and the entire Rosevear family were great to work with.  Lynn put up with a lot of our crap, and always took it well.  Plus...pretty great having you job and hobby being one in the same.

We had so many people work there that are still in the industry, or names you see mentioned on forums.  I can't even start to think of everyone, but here's just a few that have probably already been mentioned.

Jim Edmiston
Dave Griener
Ron Griener
Don Chamberlin (aka..Dyno Dave Chambermaid)
Phil Kelly 
Jeff Kymla

Also from my own store were...

Mark Hebert
Danny Deacon
Greg Boras

All great guys to be around.

Wish my job now was as fun as it was back at Auto Haus.

Lynn put up with a lot of our crap, and always took it well.  Plus...pretty great having you job and hobby being one in the same.
Ed, I couldn't have said it better.  Times were great then and I give anything to have a job like that today.

One last comment, you were never my "flunky" as you were not that qualified !!!!!     Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Seriously, you were a great guy to work with and I'm glad that we have remained friends all of these years.  Please send the $20 you owe me for saying this..................

tklynn

weasels wif

« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2009, 01:06:58 am »

For those of you who had read my previous post you now kind of know what makes me tick.  The following would be the latest event to unfold in my VW life.  Please bear with me and read this through and you will see where I’m going.

On Friday morning the 10th I awoke to the first day of my 63rd year on the planet.  The past three anniversaries of this date have been somewhat different and empty for me.  Reason being, my Dad, who was my best friend, hasn’t been there for them.  I’m sure most of you would say you have or had great parents and if so you are blessed.  I was and am one of those.

My Dad introduced me to cars at a very early age.  My love for Chrysler’s was spurred on by him as when I was very young he drove a ’47 Town & Country Convert.  That car left a perminate mark on me.  By the time I turned 16 and was ready for “my car” I had spotted a ’63 Ford 406ci with a 4 speed.  Dad was fine with this until he saw the engine specs.  It was a firm “NO”, so as a rebuttal I said “then I want a VW”.  Shortly after my statement my ’63 Ruby Red Sedan from Econo Motors became a reality.  There was a kid a couple of years older than me who lived a couple of houses away and he had a Ruby Red ’62 sunroof sedan which I guess lit the fire.  Little did I know then what path that choice would do for my life.

I had saved some money and my folks helped me with the insurance, but as a box boy at the local grocery store making $1.57 per hour and having a $43.00 monthly car payment it was tight.  Saving a few bucks here and there allowed me to buy accessories for the car.

Dad never understood my urge to have these items and constantly modify the car, but he ALWAYS supported me.  He taught me very young something I’ve tired to live by and that is “I’m third”.  This is where God is first, the other guy is second and you are third.

Moving forward to last Friday, I took the day off from work so Christie and I could go to Disneyland (her favorite place).  Later in the day when returning home there was a large envelope in the mail from Lynn Rosevear.  I opened it and to my surprise Lynn & Tammy had sent me an original Auto Haus sticker along with an Auto Haus Racing Team sticker and a couple of Lynn’s early business cards.  You will see these at the bottom of this post.  This was all much appreciated, but what Lynn had written to me fulfilled my somewhat empty day to that point.  What he wrote follows:

“John Thanks for being a good friend and a great Auto Haus employee.  Auto Haus was successful due to your hard work and dedication!  Sincerely, Lynn W. Rosevear (Auto Haus 1968-1984)”

I phoned Lynn and thanked him for all of this and told him he had made my day.  Lynn was good to me over the years and I always tried to do the best for him and the company.  Even though at times I felt he did not see or appreciate my efforts I think his comments prove me wrong.

In closing I come back to my Dad for instilling in me some of his traits and I only wish he was he to read this, but in my heart I know he probably has and is smiling right now.

WE STILL APPRECIATE YOU JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn & TK Rosevear
tklynn

weasels wif

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2009, 01:11:04 am »

I purchased these a few years ago from a former employee of the print shop that made them.
He said the red one may have been a prototype that wasn't used because they were still trying to decide what color to use.
Your thoughts Lynn ?
 Huh

Richard,
this may very well be true, however my memory ain't what it used to be - the color is giving me the indicator that this was possibly in the works, while Dave Deal was working on the latter logos. The only oddity that I can see is the non-rounded edges, but a prototype possibility???
Hope that helps...Lynn

Lynn & TK Rosevear
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2009, 18:50:24 pm »

Another 80's story.
  Freddie Desoto, another trusted employee, owned a Karmann Ghia with an 1835, 130 cam and stock heads. He had lined up a street race for the next weekend. They begged me to borrow my Ascot  dirt track motor for a day. It was a 2200cc with
 12-1 compression, a big cam, 48 ida's, Drino Miller rods, welded heads and was running on methanol. It was a definate step up. If Freddy could only drive it would have had a great ending to the story. LOL

Then there was the time Mark Bruto came in with a Triumph motorcycle that he had just purchased. Freddy begged to take it for a ride. Freddy was a very good rider and a semi professional skateboarder. Very trustworthy. About 1 1-2 hours later we get a call from the Emergency room at Chapman hospital. The story that we pieced together was that on the Chapman /55 frwy old cloverleaf the front end of the bike washed out, putting Freddy over the guard rail and into the bushes. Very lucky that he survived and was out in only a day. We went to the crash site and found his flip flops that he had been wearing. When you are young you are Invincible!
(or so you think)

What ever happened to Freddie? Last I remember he had my 48s. What I wouldn't give to get those back!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2009, 19:00:16 pm »

My only Lynn Rosevear story is interviewing with him for a job in 1978. I made my best pitch but he didn't hire me. I went to BAP/Geon after that and worked there for 10 years.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2009, 05:21:05 am »

What ever happened to Freddie? Last I remember he had my 48s. What I wouldn't give to get those back!

I'll ask him next time I see him, Rick. He's alive and well... living near me and still an awesome skateboarder. Be cool if he still knows where those carbs are.

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2009, 18:55:36 pm »

Earlier this week I had a call from Lynn Rosevear and as always it was good to hear his "off brand" humor and take on life in general.  We both updated each other on our lives since our last conversation which had been a while.  During that talk I asked Lynn (the old Weasle) Shocked Shocked if he could e-mail me current photos.  Well, thanks to his wife Tammy they just arrived, so I thought I'd share with everyone.   Grin Grin Grin

Lynn has had a few hair styles over the years.  When I first met him back in the '60'2 he was borderline "greaser". Angry Angry  Then came the "turbo" look as Ed Craig so well put it.  Undecided Undecided The last time I saw Lynn in person was at his 60th birthday when he still lived in the Elsinore, CA area.  His hair was a bit long, but still had color.  Cool Cool Cool

Now to the latest shot of Lynn & Tammy.  It appears to be much longer and certainly more gray along with his beard.  None the less it is still the same crazy character that I've been able to call my friend for close to 40 years. Wink Wink

The Rosevears now live in Washington State and seem to be lovin' it..........................

kingsburgphil

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2009, 00:18:56 am »

I first met Lynn Rosevear through a good friend Steve Hostetler. Steve was running Lynn's store in Orange, called Sports Cars Specialties at the time.
My in-laws were looking for a business to purchase, and my late wife and I were heavily into VW's/Parts. I approached Lynn regarding his selling us
that store, and we agreed on a price conditional to reopening as Auto Haus Orange.
I pitched my in-laws and was promptly turned down and told that VW parts "would never make money". Instead they bought the Wallace Trade Bindery,
and lost every cent to a corrupt business partner. Oh well!
Dyno-Don

« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:44 am »

I know this is a very old thread, but reading through it brought back a lot of memories and I thought it was still the best place to add my stories.
It was summer of 1974, and after a first year of college I was looking for a job. There was an ad in the paper for counter help at Auto Haus in Costa Mesa. Responding to the ad brought me many things; a new job (that led to my career in automotive), a life long friend or two and some of the funniest stories I ever lived.
When I came in to the store to apply, I met the store manager, Pat "Mongo" McMahon. After chatting with him, I had to meet with John L - that was a bit tough as he was very cold and dry, but it must have gone OK because he then had me go to Buena Park and meet with Lynn. We hit it off fine and I had a job. At that time the Costa Mesa store employees were Pat, Doug Mische and a guy that I want to say was named Randy, kind of a small wirey guy who drove a FAST Ranchero maybe. Right after I was hired, they Re Hired Mike Alstrom who I am pretty sure was in DKP at one time but had a beat up, rusty 356 by then. Randy left and I was the one who suggested to John that we hire DUGBUG Nadasdy. They did and the Dugbug became the lunch getter and it was amazing how many times we went to Del Taco to get lunch and managed to find mud holes or dirt hills to climb on the way. Alstrom left and went to Small Car and I was again the one that pushed for hiring the new guy - Jeff Kymla. Jeff had been a customer who had bought a New Dodge Van and a Class 9 race car with some inheritance money. We got to know him and the money either went into the race car of the Epic parties at his house in Costa Mesa. As those things many times go, the money started to run out and Jeff needed a job, so we hired him. It was with this crew that I got initiated into the Barn Burners, and Holy Cow were those some Wild Parties.
The San Bernardino store was having some problems, I seem to remember hearing that a manager was helping himself to profits a bit or something to that affect. They asked me to go out there and train a new guy that they hired as manager. I lived on Balboa Island and it was quite a drive, but they paid me .25 a mile and I had a 914 at the time so I was making money on the drive. The store was huge, but not doing real well. There was a hot young thing working there who drove a 21 Window with surfboards on the roof, when she found out where I lived, well let's just say I had a new roommate for a while. By then I was only going out there on Saturdays to help out and was floating around between the other stores - Costa Mesa, Orange, and Buena Park on different days of the week. One Monday I got to Costa Mesa and no one showed up but Pat, John, and I. John was a little panicked as to what to do as the Costa Mesa store was always busy. I told him that (damn I wish I could remember her name) was at my house and would probably come in and work. No one knew that we were dating and John just gave me a surprised look and said OK. He never did ask what was going on.
John - the story of the Hippe chick was one of the funnier things that happened. The rest of the story - one of the days she was there, I got up on the roof and took pictures of the "young Lady" as she was sun bathing (OK passed out) nude in the grass area. We had just re hired Gavin (can't remember his last name, but he was originally from Louisiana and had a southern drawl and wore the goofiest plaid pants). Well, Gavin decided he should go talk to her. He just walked out there and told her she shouldn't be doing that (sleeping nude out there) She looked at him startled and they started talking and well, they ended up going off somewhere for a romp in the hay. The guys who were there were Pat, Doug, Me, Gavin and John as I remember it.
I worked a bit in the Orange Store with Stan Davis and another guy whose name escapes me. He drove a light blue 57 Ranchero and had a full beard. Both Stan and He were into photography especially young girls in skimply clothing. One day Ranchero man was sitting in his car taking pictures of a customer (female) who was out front of the store - nothing perverted, just a cute girl. Well the Orange Police drove by and thought something was "Funny" so they decided to have a chat - we laughed our butts off at it.
Like I said - Fun Times
Dyno-Don

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:24 am »

John - I can't believe that you didn't mention the Mission Viejo store. It was a franchise that was not doing well, the guy owned Lynn money and he ended up taking the store to settle the debt. Lynn called me to Dale St for a meeting and asked if I would like to take over the store as manager. I said sure, it seemed like a great opportunity for me and meant no more traveling to San Berdoo. Well, at that time Mission Viejo and the surrounding area was very small (hard to believe now). Some days I wouldn't do ANY business - no one came in! Slowly we started to do some, but it was a small store and I was the sole employee. One day I was quite sick, but there was no one to cover for me so I went in. I really felt bad so I stacked up about 4 Race Trim Plastic bucket seats and set them right next to the buzzer that I had for the front door. This store had a small shop in the back for doing installs and the buzzer was on the back wall so you knew if anyone came in while you were back there. Well, I climbed into the seats with my head against said buzzer and proceeded to take a nap. The next thing I knew, something startled me and I looked up to see Lynn staring at me. He knew I was sick and decided to come check on me. When he got there, he stepped over the beam for the buzzer and snuck up on me. He laughed about it and said he really appreciated that I was even there - but it scared the crap out of me! I thought it was going to be my last day.

One other Story - One day the Costa Mesa store guys got to work and there were cops everywhere. Next door was Laguna Sea Sports and some guy had been shot in the head execution style and propped up against their front door watching the traffic go by. The next day, the empty field next door was on fire when the guys got to work.
I called Dugbug from the Mission Viejo store to see how things were going as I was bored as usual down there, and his very dry reply was "Yesterday was really dead, but today things are smoking" - as I heard the fire engines in the back ground. Typical Dug response!

I worked there 3 years and had a lot of Fun, learned stuff that I use to this day, including some of John's way's that I used in my own business. And interestingly enough just like John, I have had old employees tell me that some times they thought i was a jerk to them when they worked for me, but they now understand and use the same things with their employees. If it wasn't for Lynn, John, and all the guys I worked with there I would be a different person, that's for sure.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2012, 05:00:58 am »

Is this Dyno Don Chamberlain? If so, why is your user-name status "newbie"? Also, you're a D.K.K. member... where's that?

Huh

~Sarge
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: