The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:02:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lynn Rosevear and the Auto Haus Stores
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Lynn Rosevear and the Auto Haus Stores  (Read 71693 times)
edcraig

« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2012, 05:13:09 am »

I believe this is a another Dyno Don.  At least if its who I think it is.  Don Chamberlin did work for AH, but from my memory it was only for a short time in the warehouse.  There was another Don, (also known as Dyno Don), that worked for AH much longer and would know the stories mentioned in his post.  From memory all are pretty accurate.

...Ed.
johnl

« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:11 am »

I believe this is a another Dyno Don.  At least if its who I think it is.  Don Chamberlin did work for AH, but from my memory it was only for a short time in the warehouse.  There was another Don, (also known as Dyno Don), that worked for AH much longer and would know the stories mentioned in his post.  From memory all are pretty accurate.

...Ed.

Ed is correct, this is Don Lindsford (sp) who worked at the Costa Mesa store.  Today he is associated with the Pertronix organization and is into bikes and street rods.

Mike Ahlstrom never was in DKP and to my knowledge any other VW associated club.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2012, 05:49:29 am »

Yes, this is Don Lindfors - I got nicknamed DynoDon by a relative of the Original Dyno Don - Nicholson, back when I was about 15. I do work for PerTronix as the Manager of R&D for the Exhaust Division. Part of the reason I have come on here is I have just acquired my first bug in over 20 years and the first street one since Auto Haus days and I plan on an early Cal Look style for it.

Ed, we worked together for a while at the BP store when I would come over there. I still remember the time you became Eddie "Antlers" Craig, although  can't remembewhetherer it was something that happened at one of the Xmas parties, a Barn Burnout or at the store, details are fuzzy. I also used to hang out at your Westminster store after i had left Auto Haus.

John - I first met Mike Ahlstrom before going to work at Auto Haus. He was dating a girl from my HS, Corona del Mar. It was at that time that he told me he was a club member. I know we used to call his 356 the Bondo Bucket and then later when he worked at Small Car, we called his "new" car the 912-6 - used to make him mad as he really wanted everyone to believe it was a 911
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2012, 06:27:46 am »

Right on, Don... thanks for clarifying that. I also worked for Auto Haus (managed the Long Beach store from '82 till the very end when the entire company shut down). But I only hung out at the Westminster store and never ventured out the other locations much. I dig reading about the stories regarding the other stores.

(edit) Ed, I was referring to the fact that Chamberlain has been an honorary D.K.K. member for a few years. Sorry for the confusion. Let's hear some more Auto Haus stories, everyone!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:31:35 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2012, 07:03:43 am »

No problem Mark.  I was a little confused by the post at first, but as I read more, I was pretty certain it was not Don Chamberlin, but actually Dyno Don Lindfors.

Don...Glad you remember Mike A's 912-6.  With its turbo flares and 165-15 tires it was something special!  Always loved the one spoke steering wheel too.  (actually a 3 spoke, but two were broken)  Mike was a really nice guy, and his cars were "fun".
johnl

« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2012, 15:53:01 pm »

John - I first met Mike Ahlstrom before going to work at Auto Haus. He was dating a girl from my HS, Corona del Mar. It was at that time that he told me he was a club member. I know we used to call his 356 the Bondo Bucket and then later when he worked at Small Car, we called his "new" car the 912-6 - used to make him mad as he really wanted everyone to believe it was a 911

Don, trust me that Mike Ahlstrom was NEVER a DKP member.  Ed mentioned the "fine" examples that Mike owned over a few years.  Honestly I can't think of a group that would accept any of his cars.

I saw Mike at a Bug-In a couple of years ago and he was working for UPS out in the Palm Springs area and doing well.  Wonder if he has another "creation" in the wings??     Shocked Shocked Shocked

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2012, 18:00:03 pm »

Don, trust me that Mike Ahlstrom was NEVER a DKP member.  Ed mentioned the "fine" examples that Mike owned over a few years.  Honestly I can't think of a group that would accept any of his cars.

I saw Mike at a Bug-In a couple of years ago and he was working for UPS out in the Palm Springs area and doing well.  Wonder if he has another "creation" in the wings??     Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think this is Mikes Bondo Bucket. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of his "Slop Top".
Sarge

« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2012, 19:07:43 pm »

Yes, this is Don Lindfors - I got nicknamed DynoDon by a relative of the Original Dyno Don - Nicholson, back when I was about 15. I do work for PerTronix as the Manager of R&D for the Exhaust Division. Part of the reason I have come on here is I have just acquired my first bug in over 20 years and the first street one since Auto Haus days and I plan on an early Cal Look style for it.

Welcome to the Lounge, Don!  Cool to hear you bought a bug as well as what your plans are for it.  Keep those Auto Haus stories flowin'! Cool
Here's a pic of Sharon and I from 1971... I think I spent every waking minute in an Auto Haus shirt Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Dyno-Don

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2012, 00:40:34 am »

Just remembered two things , we called Mike's car the "A-Bondo"

And the guy I refrenced as "Randy" working at Costa Mesa I think was named Kelly.

I was looking at the picture from VW Trends od the front of the Costa Mesa Store - the White Ranchero I am pretty sure was photographers (and the guy who worte the article) Bob Clark's. The Capri next to it is either mine or Jeff Kymla's - I'm pretty sure llooking at the rear wheels that it was Kymla's. As first Ithought it might have been Pat McMahon's turbo car, but alas it was yellow.

Ed - I forgot all about the "One Spoke" wheel. When he got that pile, he told me he now had the fastest street car of the A-H employees, but he didn't know that I just got my Sunbeam Tiger with the 400 HP 302 Ford. He was totally dejected.
johnl

« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:05 am »

And the guy I refrenced as "Randy" working at Costa Mesa I think was named Kelly.

I was looking at the picture from VW Trends od the front of the Costa Mesa Store - the White Ranchero I am pretty sure was photographers (and the guy who worte the article) Bob Clark's. The Capri next to it is either mine or Jeff Kymla's - I'm pretty sure llooking at the rear wheels that it was Kymla's. As first Ithought it might have been Pat McMahon's turbo car, but alas it was yellow.

Ed - I forgot all about the "One Spoke" wheel. When he got that pile, he told me he now had the fastest street car of the A-H employees, but he didn't know that I just got my Sunbeam Tiger with the 400 HP 302 Ford. He was totally dejected.

There was a "Kelly" that worked at the Costa Mesa store during this time frame.  I'm thinking the last name may been Thomas or Johnson.

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2012, 08:12:58 am »

Sarge....you look really enthused at that candle party! LOL

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2012, 13:01:59 pm »

really enthused ... candle

Like he'd much rather be lighting something else?   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2012, 15:51:34 pm »

There was a "Kelly" that worked at the Costa Mesa store during this time frame.  I'm thinking the last name may been Thomas or Johnson.

As usual during the middle of the night I remembered his name which is "Kelly Wilson".  I should have remembered this sooner as growing up in Anaheim the house two doors north of us also had a Kelly Willson and our neighbor directly south of us was Don Wilson, so with that I don't know why "Wilson" was difficult for me to remember.  The other thing that came to my mind was he was not a "local" and I believe commuted from the Upland area down to Costa Mesa daily.

Dyno-Don

« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2012, 16:57:25 pm »

As usual during the middle of the night I remembered his name which is "Kelly Wilson".  I should have remembered this sooner as growing up in Anaheim the house two doors north of us also had a Kelly Willson and our neighbor directly south of us was Don Wilson, so with that I don't know why "Wilson" was difficult for me to remember.  The other thing that came to my mind was he was not a "local" and I believe commuted from the Upland area down to Costa Mesa daily.

Kelly Wilson - that's right. And I remember that he was from the Inland Empire, some reason Rialto or Redlands comes to mind, but that could very well be wrong  Wink I do remember him talking about the commute, could you imagine doing that today? 55 south is a PARKING lot in the morning. On my first day he was the one who told me I had to "take Kirby for a walk". I said who the heck is Kirby? the company dog? You all started laughing as Kirby was the vacuum!

One other thing that just came to mind. When you were interviewing me, you went in the back and came out with a hand full of parts to quiz me. What's this? "that's a pushrod tube. What's this? "that's an oil strainer" What's this? "That's a Ford Courier valve adjuster, but i think you VW guys call them Elephant's feet" You just kind of rolled your eyes at that point.
johnl

« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2012, 18:34:01 pm »

You just kind of rolled your eyes at that point.

I've heard that one before as I guess I made a regular habit of doing so.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  None the less, you needed to know your parts to sell them..............    Wink Wink Wink

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2012, 19:01:24 pm »

johnny sandoval is still around, got an email from him yesterday!

I have passed this on to JohnL.  So i will let him fill in any more info when he has it.

Mike

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
johnl

« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2012, 19:28:06 pm »

johnny sandoval is still around, got an email from him yesterday!

I have passed this on to JohnL.  So i will let him fill in any more info when he has it.

Mike

I'm now in e-mail contact with Johnny Sandoval, it was always "John" back in the day.  He is local and is suppose to phone me sometime today so we can talk. 

As I relayed to Lids in a PM the main thing is I'm just happy to hear he is alive and well.  Beyond that only time will tell if we can reestablish our friendship as it has been about 27 years since we last saw each other.  What I can tell you is that John was a store manger at one time and worked mostly in the Buena Park retail store.  He kept the place really sharp and his car was just the same. 

I don't remember John ever being in a VW club, but possibly he was.  More to come.....................

johnl

« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2012, 23:29:57 pm »

UPDATE:  I've had a phone conversation with John Sandoval and he is doing great.  Attached is his business web site and when you look at the list of clients I'd say all is good:  http://www.jssassociatesinc.com/

We talked about several things way back then and now and also numerous names from both of our past came up.  The plan is to meet for lunch sometime next week along with our mutual Auto Haus and VW friend Paul Opperman (DGVA) and I'll be sure to get photos to share.

I told John that speaking with him after all this time made my week and it really did.........   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2012, 07:20:33 am »

Ya, I remember John, use to go to Auto Haus there in Buena Park on my lunch when I use to work at Auto-Craft Machine, I believe he had a 67', I think blue like mine, mybe a different shade. When you talk to him next time, ask him if he remembers me, Ted from Auto-Craft. Glad to hear he's around and well, AND successful.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2012, 08:17:58 am »

John sandoval, Thats a name I have not heard in years ! Had a tan oval, Lived across the street from my high school, sante fe high . Had a tan colored oval with porsche chrome wheels . Kid in my neighborhood bought the car and ended up with a glass front end.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2012, 08:46:25 am »

John glad to help.  Mike

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
lhg

« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2015, 17:36:54 pm »

I found an old box in California and saved some of the print.    Thought I'd share here.

johnl

« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2015, 20:36:06 pm »

I found an old box in California and saved some of the print.    Thought I'd share here.

I loaded, unloaded, stocked and sold a BUNCH of these back in the day.  Funny thinking about it now in that all of those items that were so common then and now they are sought after.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: