The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:29:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Camber Compensator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Camber Compensator  (Read 16121 times)
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« on: December 13, 2008, 15:41:54 pm »

I am looking to buy a CB Performance camber compensator for my UK Spec '72 1300 Beetle (Swing axle with Z bar) and I was wondering if anyone had a photo showing one fitted?

I've heard conflicting reports about whether the compensator clears the Z bar mounting brackets and I want to be sure before I spend £80 on one!

Thanks.  Smiley
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 17:04:22 pm »

doesn't fit if you have HD side plates.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Doktor

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 18:30:27 pm »

I've heard it's no problem if you buy an original Sway-a-Way like AC.NET sells -> http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=SSS0006&cartid=1212200881226868

Wink

dr.aircooled
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 17:32:09 pm »

I've heard it's no problem if you buy an original Sway-a-Way like AC.NET sells -> http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=SSS0006&cartid=1212200881226868

Wink

Cheers but I don't know anyone who supplies the Sway-a-Way type in the UK and importing one from the States would not be cheap!

Someone on here must have a CB performance compensator fitted? If anyone has a photo of theirs showing where the straps fit to the axle tubes it would be much appreciated, even if you don't have a Z bar i'll be able to tell if it would clear the mounts from a picture.

Thanks.
 Smiley

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 18:02:47 pm »

doesn't fit if you have HD side plates.
Empi made an "extra wide" mounting bracket for heavy duty side-plates.
Very hard to find, but they exist !
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 20:17:27 pm »

Use the Berg Side Cover Savers (I think that's what they're called?). Camber Comp fits, no problemo.
I have never been able to grasp how the CB (EMPI style) camber compensator is as effective as the Sway-A-Way. Pulling down on the axles as opposed to pushing up on them? Makes no sense to me. My vote goes to Sway-A-Way.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 20:39:27 pm »

Zach I believe the empi style is to pull down the inside tire to keep it in contact with the ground and not Jack itself to full negative camber which is what happens without it.  I have used one for almost 20 years now and I can tell you they work and work well.  I even have a spare just in case as I actually had one break in two at the center pivot hole.  Actually the Sway-Away one is a camber stop not a compensator.  I may be splitting hairs here.  I have no idea how well they work.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
christophe

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 23:29:53 pm »

Use the Berg Side Cover Savers (I think that's what they're called?). Camber Comp fits, no problemo.
I have never been able to grasp how the CB (EMPI style) camber compensator is as effective as the Sway-A-Way. Pulling down on the axles as opposed to pushing up on them? Makes no sense to me. My vote goes to Sway-A-Way.

How is the Sway-A-Way fitted if not like the CB or Empi?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 23:48:58 pm »

Sway-A-Way pushes up on the axles rather than pulling down on them...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
dougmische

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 18:18:50 pm »

Wink

Cheers but I don't know anyone who supplies the Sway-a-Way type in the UK and importing one from the States would not be cheap!

Someone on here must have a CB performance compensator fitted? If anyone has a photo of theirs showing where the straps fit to the axle tubes it would be much appreciated, even if you don't have a Z bar i'll be able to tell if it would clear the mounts from a picture.

Thanks.
 Smiley

I have a Sway-a-Way compensator that was for the Wocket but never installed. I had the center mount widened to fit the HD side plate.  I would be happy to donate it to your cause.  Perhaps you can talk Keith Seume into carrying it home with him next time he's over...
qubek

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 09:27:42 am »

It's a camber compensator, so it doesn't matter if it pulls the axles down, pushes them up or doing nothing while the car is not in move. What it should do is to contradict (to a certain degree, it must be flexible) the movement of the axles into the same direction at the same time, that is - both up or both down. When one wheel goes up, the camber compensator should push/pull the other one down. Both styles seem to be designed to to that.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
stealth67vw

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:29 am »

I just installed a Sway-A-Way compensator on my 67 with a Bugpack heavy duty side cover gearbox. It didn't fit, but I made it fit. The bracket is about and 1/8th inch to narrow so I just simply bent the tabs out slightly in a bench vise. I then removed the bottom four side cover nuts, slipped the bracket over the side cover studs, tapped the bracket up against the drain plug and tightened up the side cover nuts straightening the tabs.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 20:33:41 pm »

I am looking to buy a CB Performance camber compensator for my UK Spec '72 1300 Beetle (Swing axle with Z bar) and I was wondering if anyone had a photo showing one fitted?

I've heard conflicting reports about whether the compensator clears the Z bar mounting brackets and I want to be sure before I spend £80 on one!

Thanks.  Smiley

I remember I had one of those "Empi Style" compensators on my '67 when I was in high school, and I distinctly remember having to take the factory Z Bar brakcets off the springplate/axle housings so it would clear. I also remember what a difference it made in how the car would corner. Before I installed it, it was all too easy to get car in scary attitude in a fast corner, you could feel it lose grip REAL quick as the tires tucked under, afterwards the threshold was much higher. I ended up breaking it opne afternoon on Calaveras Rd in a full on dash to get to work, running very late. I run the S A W one now.
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 22:03:38 pm »

Thread back from the dead.

I have since purchased an original Speedwell compensator and am planning to fit it with the Z bar removed to my replacement '70 chassis once its refurbed.  Wink
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:39 pm »

i recommand IRS and all that jacking up is cured  Grin
brewsy

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 20:27:17 pm »

Hey Oldspeed (or anybody),
Did you manage to fit the CC WITH the Z Bar in the end??

Ive got a '67 UK spec vehicle and deffo want to fit a CC but I will need to keep the Zbar to add to the overall rear spring rate (when necessary).
Regardless of whether a person thinks a Zbar is equiv to an anti roll bar (or not) the rear torsion bars are softer than non Zbar cars.

Anybody got a heads up on what mods would need to be done to make them fit together?

Ta
Marc
Sepi

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 20:19:11 pm »

I wasn't happy with the original fitting and I did this kind of bracket and it works well

Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 20:44:55 pm »

That's nice work.
Fugu

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »

What about a nut under the spring plate to reduce wheel tuck ?
slowlearner

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 23:40:54 pm »

That is another option, but it's not what the CC does only.

BTW, there's another mod to make Empi style work even better. I've done it on mine. I only use 1 U bolt but the effect is the same.

Adds extra spring rate as well as roll stiffness.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: