The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:35:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Upgrading Fuel Line
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Upgrading Fuel Line  (Read 41579 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:52 am »

The original fuel line in AssHull's pan was shot, so it needs replacing. I'd like to replace it with some stainless steel braided line, but I don't know what size to get, where to get it, what I need to adapt it to the stock tank, AN fittings... Pretty much everything. Motor isn't anything wild, just a 1915, and the plan is to run a CB rotary fuel pump (Carter). We appreiciate your help! Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 01:22:29 am »

the size line you use is really dictated by if the line thru the pan will be a "pressure" line or a "suction" line. If you mount the pump up front and send the fuel back to motor, AN-5 or 5/16" is more than large enough.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:34:18 am »

The original fuel line in AssHull's pan was shot, so it needs replacing. I'd like to replace it with some stainless steel braided line, but I don't know what size to get, where to get it, what I need to adapt it to the stock tank, AN fittings... Pretty much everything. Motor isn't anything wild, just a 1915, and the plan is to run a CB rotary fuel pump (Carter). We appreiciate your help! Smiley

Zach,

Get in touch with HotRodVW from this forum or the CLF. (Same name) He does this stuff for a living and can get you good prices as well.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 01:35:43 am »

Thanks guys. Pump will be mounted up front. Is AN-5 large enough to allow for future engine upgrades?

Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:44:51 am »

according to AG Bell, 5/16 wil support 300hp naturally aspirated when used as a pressure line. You need to take into consideration what that pump flows too at a pressure suitable to whatever carbs your running. And what his needle valves will flow.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:57:04 am »

According to CB's website:

An internal pressure regulator supplies a constant 3 1/2 lbs. of uninterrupted fuel pressure at up to 30 gallons per hour.

They also advertise a 5 1/2lb version. We haven't bought the pump yet, so it isn't set in stone. I would like to use an electric pump that is quiet, and gets the job done. So if there are any other options out there, I'm all ears.

Carbs for now will be 40IDF's, but an upgrade to IDA's is inevitable Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 17:08:23 pm »

According to CB's website:

An internal pressure regulator supplies a constant 3 1/2 lbs. of uninterrupted fuel pressure at up to 30 gallons per hour.

They also advertise a 5 1/2lb version. We haven't bought the pump yet, so it isn't set in stone. I would like to use an electric pump that is quiet, and gets the job done. So if there are any other options out there, I'm all ears.

Carbs for now will be 40IDF's, but an upgrade to IDA's is inevitable Wink

Assuming your friend's motor has a VE% of around 75-80% at 6000 rpm, it will ingest about 675lb or air per hour and about 8 gallons of fuel per hour. Even at a VE% of 90%, the motor will use about 9 gallons per hour. Assuming you are running gasoline,
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 18:30:23 pm »

so a 3 1/2lbs pump and a stock fuel line will work as well? Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 19:03:30 pm »

so a 3 1/2lbs pump and a stock fuel line will work as well? Wink

3.5psi is right for Weber needle valves, but I do not know they gph you're needing or what that pump puts out. And, I could not get the stock fuel line to feed my 2054cc IDA motor at high load situations. The motor would run the float bowls dry, even with size 300 needles. Obviously a supply somewhere up stream. I was running Facet pump with 7mm VW hose and stock pipe in pan and stock outlet out of tank. On the freeway, if I ran my foot down hard, I'd get about a mile, and the motor would fall on its face. Kill motor, pull over, look down stacks of carbs and crank linkage.... nothing coming from nozzles.
After a long talk with Jerry and John @ Hoses Unlimited, I went to AN-6 Parker push-lock hose and fittings throughout, along with Holley blue pump and red regulator and Earl's 90-degree AN-6 x 12mm into Webers. I also drilled the inlet passages of carbs (above needle) larger. This finally worked.

Sheep's 1914 IDA motor wouldn't run hard with stock line either. We ran AN-6 thru tunnel and Mallory pump, Holley regulator on his car too.

One thing you might want to think about too: a drag (only) car with a 160hp engine is going to use fuel system differently than a 160hp street car. You might make it thru the quarter mile with what's in the float bowls, but on a long incline, if you put your foot in it, you may not. So think about what you're using the car for. I think a lot of the old drag cars that "made it" on the stock line in the pan worked because they were light for one thing and they were done in 11-12 sec. If they tried climibing the Grapevine here in So Cal with the throttle down, that stock line probably would have starved the bowls. Meltdown.

I think the stock line can supply roughly 150hp. It is only 5mm. All the pressure in the world doesn't create volume. 
More later.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 20:10:14 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 20:09:16 pm »

alright, i see.

well, i'm gonna have another peek at my steering box and see about that fuel line. will let you know Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 21:02:55 pm »

alright, i see.

well, i'm gonna have another peek at my steering box and see about that fuel line. will let you know Wink

pay attention to how you FEED the pump... the suction side.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 00:31:22 am »

is it normal for the fuel line to run like mine? red circle?
what's the "inlet" that i made green for? that looks more logical for the fuel line to run through.

i'm sorry for hijacking the thread but what would be the best way to run an AN-6 line?

p.s. the line exists to the right of my gearbox.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:14:04 am »

I haven't seen that before... You're right, it should go into the frame head where you have the green circle, and exit out it left side frame horn.

I suppose we are going to get some AN-5, and run it the way the factory intended- save for the electric fuel pump and such Wink

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:29:43 am »

yup, my car has some messy things of a "restoration" of 15 years ago. the fuel line actually runs underneath the carpeting somewhere. i noticed it when i put that in a few years ago. but i didn't have a clue a fuel line could be that thin.

what i just don't get is how to run it through the tunnel, say i get 10 feet of AN-6 how do i get it to the other end and not get tangled up with the throttle and clutch cable and such... let alone exit it through a tiny peek hole  Huh

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 01:49:36 am »

Access panels in the tunnel will help- if you dont already have them to stiffen up the clutch tube,  I would recommend it. I think I will run the line back to front, until I get to the forward most access panel, then just grab it and stuff it up through the hole in the frame head(?). I made these simple aluminium panels for AssHull's car today...

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 01:55:15 am »

i see what you mean, but mine isn't quite body-off Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 02:01:48 am »

It can still be done Wink

SlingShot

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 05:31:24 am »

Those tie-rods are going to receive a fresh coat, right?

Will Race For Beer !!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 17:48:35 pm »

I haven't seen that before... You're right, it should go into the frame head where you have the green circle, and exit out it left side frame horn.

I suppose we are going to get some AN-5, and run it the way the factory intended- save for the electric fuel pump and such Wink

You might want to consider AN-6 or -8 for feed side of pump
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 18:19:40 pm »

So why don't I make it all AN-6 then? Or does the feed side have to be larger than the outlet side?

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 20:39:39 pm »

Those tie-rods are going to receive a fresh coat, right?

Don't need it. It's pretty warm inside the shop.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 20:42:27 pm »

So why don't I make it all AN-6 then? Or does the feed side have to be larger than the outlet side?

yes the feed side should be larger.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 04:52:03 am »

I ran all 3/8" line from the pump to tank.  I always do overkill......don't ask me why LOL.  If anything, I make sure the suppyl side of the pump is sufficient. You don't want to starve the pump and burn it up, but I honestly think that matching the supply to your pump inlet is fine. 

This pump uses 1/8" npt ports.  I drilled them out to flow a bit better, since they adapt to #6 male AN. 

I ran 3/8" braided and 3/8" hard line from here to the carbs. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 12:21:32 pm »

zach, it doesn't look like the CB rotary accepts AN fittings, does it?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:20 pm »

they're push fit

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 15:26:20 pm »

just got rid of my faulty fuel line. and i found the other one underneath the rubber in the green circle, cut off of course.

zach, you said it should exit in the left side frame horn? i'm trying to locate it. also, should i run a 3/8" hose all the way? isn't that quite thick? i mean i need to run it all the way and don't want it to get stuck somewhere...

cheers!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 15:59:25 pm »

It doesn't... I still need to know what I need to mate the two together...

zach, you said it should exit in the left side frame horn? i'm trying to locate it. also, should i run a 3/8" hose all the way? isn't that quite thick? i mean i need to run it all the way and don't want it to get stuck somewhere...

Yep, right out the top of the frame horn. I haven't tried running the hose yet, but it looks like the line should make it all the way through. Just make sure it is clear of the shift rod as that is the only moving part inside the tunnel.

Hotrodvw

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 16:03:44 pm »

It doesn't... I still need to know what I need to mate the two together...

Yep, right out the top of the frame horn. I haven't tried running the hose yet, but it looks like the line should make it all the way through. Just make sure it is clear of the shift rod as that is the only moving part inside the tunnel.

Zach......post a pic of the pump, I may be able to have a solution for ya.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 16:58:48 pm »

what is it eric? i'd be interested too Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Hotrodvw

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 17:12:22 pm »

It's not the pump I was thinking of.  I was thinking of an EFI pump.  If you're stuck w/ AN fittings, you an use an AN x barb adapter ad a 2" length of hose.......then run your AN stuff.  I can mock up something here at work, and give you a visual if needed.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: