The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 15:21:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  JHU's timebandit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: JHU's timebandit  (Read 70556 times)
Oldschool

« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2007, 08:28:23 am »

PM Sent too, thanks in advance

Oldschool

Quality not Quantity...
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:46 am »

Wow, I have some progress to report on the Timebandit....  Wink

The body is still in primer and is waiting for the pre paint mock up... by the look of things it can take some time. But on the other hand I have made some good progress on the engine for the car. The CE heads have had a running with the mill and is now down to 47 cc in the combustion chambers. The chambers themselves have been reworked by me and is strangely uniform in shape and volume. The valve pockets in my pistons adds another 5 cc to the equation, with 1 mm of deck-height, that leaves me with a low 10.2 CR. With my FK89 Im looking for something around 11.3.  So my heads will need another go in the mill before Im happy with them.

I have had about two weeks of vacation now and I have really enjoys the late hours I have spent working on the engine. Opening up new parts and finding them to be within specs brings a smile to my face. However I admit getting a "tad" frustrated with my new CB straight cut kit... I had five full blown attempts to mount it on the crank without getting it on....  THEN i measured the slot for the woodruff key....  0.5 mm to narrow! Out came the file... and the KEY went under surgery since the gear was way to hard to modify. I have also had some great fun dialing in the new FK89... was happy to find that cam card and reality match.

Oh and I took a hack saw to a pair of intakes... loving the results!!! 

I hope to have the engine up and running in time to SCC this fall....  Maybe I get to try it on the strip to... if the makeshift "race-car" gets thru the scrutinizing of the tech guys....

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2007, 02:35:30 am »

There has been a Bad Batch Of CB Straight cut Gears they are very Thight and I have Seen Three Different sets with the small gear cracking two cracked after the motor were run and had to be torn Down..

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2007, 03:01:20 am »

Okay, thanks... I didn´t know..... I dont expect mine to crack as it was close to the VW size in the hole (it was a little tighter) but the grove was WAY off!
Fingers crossed! :-)

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2007, 17:28:27 pm »

Well, CB won over me again it seems... the crank lifts the cam up... Sad  back to square one... out with the new and in with the old!

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2007, 19:28:39 pm »

LOL  just put a set of Magnum gears in it  you will be glad you did sell the CB ones on Samba

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2007, 08:58:25 am »

Glad to hear it's coming along! Smiley

Scott Faivre

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2007, 23:21:42 pm »

Smiley

I spent ALL day yesterday with some friends getting my make shift racer up and running (with a 1600).  And today
I got the electrics to work and did a bit of break adjusting... and as by magic got the car thru MOT!!
It still need a of of work, but the basics are there... except the shifting... quite frankly it SUCKS even tho it has the daddy of all shifters... the BERG.

O happy days.. I got a bug to cruise in!!   

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2007, 23:09:22 pm »

The shifter problems were dealt with tonight... out came the angle grinder, the worn out bushing holder was repaired and the whole lot went in again.... but 100mm further back... ups!!  Tongue

Grelland

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2007, 19:16:31 pm »

pics?

« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2007, 09:40:03 am »

You will see it live today Grelland!
The heads went under the knife again last night... it bounced up from 11.1 to 11.6...  Will it still run on Shell V-Max...? I don't know!?

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2007, 09:45:47 am »

The shifter problems were dealt with tonight... out came the angle grinder, the worn out bushing holder was repaired and the whole lot went in again.... but 100mm further back... ups!!  Tongue

I did the same thing last night even though I kept everything where it`s supposed to be  Wink SCC..... I`m one small step closer!

Keep on with the good work JHU!

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2007, 11:50:57 am »

If every other method fails we can then distinguish our cars by the placing of the shifter.... mine is a 65 too you know?  Roll Eyes

Grelland

« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2007, 13:07:29 pm »

You will see it live today Grelland!
The heads went under the knife again last night... it bounced up from 11.1 to 11.6...  Will it still run on Shell V-Max...? I don't know!?

Can't wait :-) The sun is shining, see you later

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2007, 12:17:40 pm »

Well the engine is alive now....!! Took me some sweet time!! And the sound of it isn't what I expected. I have never heard any of my engines without the fatty stinger... but this one breathes thru a 2,5" Apple racing muffler... so the sound is all civilized... And It will stay that way for a couple of days more, as I welded in the bung for the LM1 Broadband lambda in the muffler side of the collector. As soon as I get home from work, I'm going to run sync the carbs and let it run for 5 minutes, then I’m dropping the oil, fit my temp sensor in the universal case block of. Fill up on cheap oil and find a good hill to get the rings to set. After that the synthetic SAE 40 will go back in. This is going to be a good night.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 13:16:58 pm by JHU » Logged

Turtle001

« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2007, 12:31:24 pm »

coming over to Bitburg jon?

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2007, 13:17:32 pm »

No not this year...  Embarrassed

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2007, 15:52:27 pm »

Well the engine is alive now....!! Took me some sweet time!! And the sound of it isn't what I expected. I have never heard any of my engines without the fatty stinger... but this one breathes thru a 2,5" Apple racing muffler... so the sound is all civilized... And It will stay that way for a couple of days more, as I welded in the bung for the LM1 Broadband lambda in the muffler side of the collector. As soon as I get home from work, I'm going to run sync the carbs and let it run for 5 minutes, then I’m dropping the oil, fit my temp sensor in the universal case block of. Fill up on cheap oil and find a good hill to get the rings to set. After that the synthetic SAE 40 will go back in. This is going to be a good night.
Jon, i'm thinking about an Apple muffler too. Quiet? ,Restrictive ?

Done ? Not Yet.
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2007, 21:29:35 pm »

I have a short video clip of a friends car running an apple muffler, but I don't know how to put it out here. Very special sound, sharp and crisp. But at the same time nice and quiet on low revs. I think it is very free flowing as well.. 
Harry/FDK

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2007, 21:36:18 pm »

Thanks Rune, i need something for the center of town (cops) Then WOT Grin

Done ? Not Yet.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2007, 11:31:00 am »

Jon, i'm thinking about an Apple muffler too. Quiet? ,Restrictive ?

I wouldn't say its quiet, but its muffeled. Just a deep dark rumble, it has a more muffeled sound than your average "fatboy". Probably due to the size of the thing.
But you hear it when you step on it....  Grin

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2007, 12:41:18 pm »

Well, I drove my engine for the first time last night. And I have to say it was interesting    Cool
The task at hand was to get the rings set and to do a bit of jetting. I used my LM wideband and was happy to see it being on the rich side.
Started out with 60 idle jets and 180 Main with 200 air. In F2 emulsion tubes. The ignition was set to 32°.
I had a serious stumble between idle and main and I also experienced some pinging in around the same RPM 3000 ish. I stopped and backed of the ignition 5 ° but still there was pinging in this transition.
And suddenly the oil temp was out of control, and I stopped to cool it of. I Suspected had misunderstood the Lambda readings and put in 70 idle jets and 195 mains.
Then I realized the oil temp gauge had made contact with ground, so I got that fixed and the temp fell down to 50°C puh.
But more interestingly the car was running EVEN richer (no big surprise) but the stumble had diminished severely and the pinging was also gone.

After a few pulls up a steep hill I decided to go home and think about my next action. I found out that my float levels still was to high and the fuel was dripping down into 3 and 1.
So I pulled the carbs and the intakes to mount a set of borrowed 51,5's to it. Might as well tune it in with those carbs, since my 48’s are a bit on the small side for this setup.

But my question is could my F2 emulsion tubes be the reason behind the stumble? I have a set of F9 and a set of F7's to, will test the F9s today to see how it acts.
Any ideas?

richie

« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2007, 14:45:40 pm »

i know very little about IDAS but they always seem to end up with F7s,just my experience,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Harry/FDK

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2007, 19:00:40 pm »

Jon, did you drop the Synthetic in right after the break-in Huh

Done ? Not Yet.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2007, 16:24:10 pm »

I used cheap mineral from a chain that re-brands everything they sell, so I thought it was shit, but later I found out its Statoil 10-40 and was gutted. Angry
After I was sure the rings had set I poured in Valvoline synthetic. I also had a chance to look at my lifters (stock VW's) and they seem fine, even though the K800s are sitting with 200psi in the seats. So I'm sticking to my "lifter-jumping-on-cam-kills-the-fun" belief... for now Wink

Harry/FDK

« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2007, 18:48:28 pm »

That's still a quick move from mineral to synth...

Done ? Not Yet.
nicolas

« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2007, 09:10:33 am »

do you need to have a breakin time on mineral before switching to synthetic? i want to use synth oil in the future, but i may need some help regarding the subject... sorry to jump on your post.

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:22 am »

Synthetic oil has superior lubricating capabilities and will not let your piston rings wear in (fit to the sylinder) as fast as dino oil.
I used Synthetic oil during the breaking in of the cam, since that is a case of work harding the cam and not a "wear in" issue.

Then I used mineral to set the rings, and back to synthetic before the dino stuff got the engine all dirty inside.
I set the rings by this method: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm But I don't recommend it to others. People can chose for themselves.   

Harry, what do you mean with "quick change"?

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2007, 11:16:43 am »

Synthetic oil has superior lubricating capabilities and will not let your piston rings wear in (fit to the sylinder) as fast as dino oil.
I used Synthetic oil during the breaking in of the cam, since that is a case of work harding the cam and not a "wear in" issue.

Then I used mineral to set the rings, and back to synthetic before the dino stuff got the engine all dirty inside.
I set the rings by this method: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm But I don't recommend it to others. People can chose for themselves.   

Harry, what do you mean with "quick change"?

What do you mean? Is there any other ways to break in a the rings  Huh       Grin  Breaking in the rings is the fun part               

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Felix/DFL

« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2007, 21:15:51 pm »

Very interesting view of breaking an engine in under full throttle, but in a way it makes sense that the pressure forces the rings to lay on the cylinder.But what is with total seals ?
It`s funny cause I came across this theme of the pressure forcing the rings to the cylinder with a friend as we talked over the need of total seals.
But we didn`t think about the break in...

By the way, very nice progress and the vids of your hill racer were so GO(O)D ! Go on and on...

Pedal to the metal,
Felix
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: