The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:43:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Trans Question: 4-bolt vs. big grooved nut?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Trans Question: 4-bolt vs. big grooved nut?  (Read 3348 times)
Ole

« on: March 24, 2006, 20:48:29 pm »

Hi all!

I'm just rebuilding my gearbox and had to realize my recently purchased tools don't work with the late style pinion bearing Shocked. All the transmissions I worked on before were the late style (1970 up) with the big grooved nut, and I always wondered if the early 4-bolt version wasn't much easier to assemble. The early pinion bearing's diameter is 75mm, the late version is 82mm. Bigger is better... well, that was my thought. Most of the aftermarket trans-cases use the early 4-bolt version... Huh

What type of case/pinion bearing do you use? Why did VW change the easy to handle 4-bolt configuration to this f*#§ng grooved nut?

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
GeirH

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 13:19:44 pm »

That was exactly what Dave Folts said to me, when he put together my trans. The BIGGER is better!! So it was based on a newer housing. That was guesset on both side as well. No problem so far.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: