The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:43:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Pertronix distributor...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pertronix distributor...  (Read 4202 times)
Tom G.

« on: December 08, 2006, 09:34:25 am »

Hi,

has someone of you expierences with this new distributor, it looks like a MSD one, but is cheaper :-))
I had the idea to combine it with a mallory hellfire 6 AL...Is this a good combination??
Because i am not really proud  of my existing 009 distributor with compufire... So what is your opinion?? on the other hand Is the mallory distributor still produced at this time?? Because i found no one, who offer me a new one...
Bye
Tom
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:51:07 am »

Hi Tom,

I guess you mean a Mallory HyFire VI bos, donīt you? Grin I donīt know if it works with the pertronix distributor, but it does in fact work with your existing 009 (with or without points). Concerning the Mallory distributor: yes, itīs still available (CSP, Serranos...) and thereīs a pointless conversion available from ignitor as well.
Bye,

Tobi
ESH

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:01:16 am »

I'd get the Mallory distributor if you can, I've heard good things about them and am about to upgrade to one (from an 009 with points). I'm going for the digital box aswell. I can get you the part numbers sometime for the distributor/s over the weekend if you want but Serranos, CSP, Veedub Parts etc etc all carry them.

Whilst your at it get one of these aswell:

Cool
GreenTom

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:09:38 am »

Mallorys are getting quite expencive at this time Smiley and I've heard that Petronix is much better option that mallory and it is with electronic ignitor in standard.

The best option (but not the cheepest) is fly wheel tigger (I don't know how does it spell sorry) but it is very easy way tu tune up youre engine especially in conection with fuel injection Smiley

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Steve D.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 19:25:14 pm »

What are you looking to gain?  If you want to tune your advance curve, the Pertronix billet distributor works just as well as an MSD distributor without having to spend another $200 on an ignition box just to run the thing- a standard coil will work just fine, you can upgrade to a CDI later.  Of course, if you aren't going to play with the advance curve, you might as well just buy the ignition box and use your existing distributor to trigger the ignition box.  You can trigger the box off of the compufire, or standard points- the points will then last nearly forever because it isn't carrying any current, they are just acting as a trigger.

Either way, it'll work just fine- HAVE FUN!

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: