The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 18:58:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  VW Gasser Garage "Underdog 2" EBI 3 Project Car
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: VW Gasser Garage "Underdog 2" EBI 3 Project Car  (Read 41488 times)
Russell

« on: December 26, 2008, 22:28:02 pm »

OK Guys heads up for the VW Gasser Garage Big news in 2009, we are putting together an underdog 2 replica with a quick ass 300plus BHP normally asperated engine built by Ron Fleming, the last few months have been spent discussing the finner points of the project and now we are ready to go..... well sort of.

I need to find the following first " a donor car"

Watch this space.......
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 22:29:37 pm by Russell Ritchie » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
tikimadness

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 22:49:06 pm »

better watch out boom boom Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Prowagen

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 23:14:27 pm »

Holy crap!
I cannot believe this, Russell you are a leg end keep bringing us these cool cars. What year donor do you need?
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 23:17:02 pm »

It OK Michael i have already had a chat with Russell about next year.

I think we are going to have to wait and see. He got more than just this car on the go.

But he did say he was going to kick my ass next year. Shocked Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 23:33:23 pm »

OK Guys heads up for the VW Gasser Garage Big news in 2009, we are putting together an underdog 2 replica with a quick ass 300plus BHP normally asperated engine built by Ron Fleming, the last few months have been spent discussing the finner points of the project and now we are ready to go..... well sort of.

I need to find the following first " a donor car"

Watch this space.......

WTF  Shocked

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 00:22:44 am »

some picture jim send me some time  ago Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 00:24:09 am »

Wink
and more from the dog Shocked

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 00:32:40 am »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 00:33:36 am »

Wink

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:36:57 am »

Shocked Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 05:31:19 am »

Looks like a 62-64 with a 65-66 rear lid. Get cracking Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 09:05:36 am »

cool idea russel
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 10:35:12 am »

Sorry Zach but I believe the body may be earlier say 58 -> 60 or at least the doors are as they have ice pick style door pull handles ,also I think the slightly smaller rear window seen here on the Underdog was enlarged on post 61 cars .
I like the bobbed wings where they would have joined the running boards . The deck lid shouldn't be a problem as I seem to recall seeing that some place  Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 11:46:50 am »

i'm with zack 61->64

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 11:51:45 am »

another  links  Wink http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3231.msg42771/topicseen.html#msg42771

Matty c

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 11:52:46 am »

cool, nice one mr ritchie Cool

67heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 11:54:53 am »

Sorry Zach but I believe the body may be earlier say 58 -> 60 or at least the doors are as they have ice pick style door pull handles ,also I think the slightly smaller rear window seen here on the Underdog was enlarged on post 61 cars .
I like the bobbed wings where they would have joined the running boards . The deck lid shouldn't be a problem as I seem to recall seeing that some place  Wink

may be sarge can help us   Roll Eyes

Russell

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 14:35:19 pm »

Guys

Its a 61-64 and from my home work it was a 64, the decklid is currently on its way to the VW Gasser Garage World Head Quarters (named by Kev'd)  as we will build the car around that !!!! a bit like UD1 built round the door !

The pictures make it look weird but we have checked and the door handles can be swaped, anyway like all cars it had changes over time and we will grap a point that suits us, loving the blue BRM's.

Looks like a donnor car has been confirmed and I will show you some picts of the stripdown over the next 3-4 weeks, Ive now now booked the paintshgop for first week in Feb 09.  A bit slower than my other projects but Im sure we will make up time nearer June !!!

Wink

Best Regards

Russell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 14:52:43 pm »

Guys

Its a 61-64 and from my home work it was a 64, the decklid is currently on its way to the VW Gasser Garage World Head Quarters (named by Kev'd)  as we will build the car around that !!!! a bit like UD1 built round the door !

The pictures make it look weird but we have checked and the door handles can be swaped, anyway like all cars it had changes over time and we will grap a point that suits us, loving the blue BRM's.

Looks like a donnor car has been confirmed and I will show you some picts of the stripdown over the next 3-4 weeks, Ive now now booked the paintshgop for first week in Feb 09.  A bit slower than my other projects but Im sure we will make up time nearer June !!!

you'r too strong russel  Shocked Tongue Wink
cant wait to be at ebi3
you give me new ideas for mini gasser

Wink
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 17:41:33 pm »

Hope you ad the DDS lettering as in the shot off the body resting behind the shop...

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 18:33:09 pm »

have you noticed that underdog had a buggy bar at the rear and after a small T for wheelie bar
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 18:40:46 pm by speedwell » Logged

AntLockyer

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 19:15:01 pm »

Hope you ad the DDS lettering as in the shot off the body resting behind the shop...

My question was whether you were going to pick that time as the starting point.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 20:08:22 pm »

Well to be honest it really is hard to judge an old racecar like that, I should have looked at the doors as those are a little less likely to be changed than the tail lights. So if the doors are original to the car it is probably a '58, maybe an early '59. The rear window was the same size from '58-'64. In either case, any 58-64 body will do because it's just a racer, just have the proper (mis matched) doors and tail lights Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 20:14:11 pm »

hope you don't start this one with a clean original paint car but with an incomplete shell just like they had the common sense to do back then...  Roll Eyes

Glitter don't make you faster.
Russell

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 21:19:58 pm »

Roland

Not sure if you mean i dont have common sense  Sad but heres a reply for you.

They were unlucky that the UD1 was crashed but they were lucky that they reused the pan, and running gear, engine etc. However with the hard work that we put into the UD1 replica it would be a waste to strip it for UD2 !!!

So we will use a clean car that hopefully requires no welding !!! the bug bear of any project. original paint ? well if thats what it has so be it, but its likely that it will have been repainted at some time in its life......

It comes down to money and tme what we start with, we have a very little time, however we do have money to get a really good solid shell and this will save us in the long run both time and money on repairs.... why bother.

Now back to your post the only reason that they had spare shells in those days was because everyone was taking them off and turning the pans in to beach buggys, how wasteful.

heres another example closer to home your Car, is wonderfull and done to a very high standard, I too have done this before with full quaters etc but its alot of work and takes alot of time to do it right as Im sure you know, and too be honest the new steel is not as good as the older thicker stuff, so as i only have 6 months Ill start with the best start possible and save time and money on repairs. However as with the relpicas Ive done and am starting the car could always go back to standard if required, at least Im not welding up orignal bonnets just for the smooth look !!!

Dont really want tgo start a rant with you, I love the old gassers and think that the replicas are good fun thats all, people turn early splits into rat looks and they ruin these old cars, Bob at BBT messesd with the Heb !!! these are the cars that should be moaned about not 1 poor little 64 bug thats about to kick ass and be raced like never before,

also it will make an old man Ron Flemings dreams come true and with the support the EBI crew have had from him (your fellow club members you should be delighted)
When he turns up with more americans from the hay day and they totally love the feel and the racing its great to know that i maybe helped put the smiles there.

Anyway looking forward to posting pictures of the car now as Im sure it will upset a few others but W.G.A.F.

SORRY  Grin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 21:23:56 pm by Russell Ritchie » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 21:35:41 pm »

Roland come on dude we all know it better to start with a good car that needs no welding. As Russell has said it save time but you are right Russell has got no common sense. Grin

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 21:39:15 pm by gold65turbo » Logged

Hahaha your killing me.........
kev d

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 21:54:46 pm »

hope you don't start this one with a clean original paint car but with an incomplete shell just like they had the common sense to do back then...  Roll Eyes

Fair point roland, now if you could just point the rest of us to that supply of good solid dumped bodyshells that you know about we`ll get cracking Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 22:06:27 pm »

Just saying that the base you used for underdog 1 replica was a really sweet car that i'd have loved to drive just as it was and it made me really sad when you tore it apart and painted it orange...

My point being you could save wrecks to make those replicas and let the "survivors" car be. Now of course it's easier to buy a solid car, but if we'd do only easy stuff, where would the fun be, right?

So i know that I can't say or do anything that will change your mind, it's just my own 2 cents...

and for the hoodriders don't try to legitimate what you do by telling that people are doing worst things. I moan about hoodride splits and BBT's heb and a LOT of other things Smiley

Glitter don't make you faster.
Russell

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 22:34:32 pm »

The sweet car was one very sad worn out 65 bug for a $ 2000.00 and turned it into a replica racer .

You dont seem to grasp the subject and if you saw the 65 (UD1) you would see that i invested in that car.

If you dont like what i do fine send me a PM but dont wreck a post with some stupid comments.

PM sent.

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 22:51:01 pm »

Heres the donor car !

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: