The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:16:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old School Cal Looks The Way I Remember Them !!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Old School Cal Looks The Way I Remember Them !!  (Read 51724 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:33 am »

It has had sprint stars bought new, Empi 5 spokes also bought new, americans mag bought new, BRM used off Dyno's notch, then flat 4 BRM (no more polishing mag wheels), and now new UK americans. I have a set of empi 8 spokes but they never make it on the car. Barn picture soon. Brian
Hey Brian do you have  a 46 VW that use to Belong to Mike HornBecker?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
1946vw

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2007, 04:16:27 am »

At this time in the barn there is a 1943,1944, 2- 1946s, and the old cal-look car. the dragster up at the shop waiting for the new 1680. brian 
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2007, 04:30:15 am »

Shocked an 43 & 44  Shocked woauuuww the germans invade the usa in the second wwII  Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
stealth67vw

« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2007, 05:00:00 am »

At this time in the barn there is a 1943,1944, 2- 1946s, and the old cal-look car. the dragster up at the shop waiting for the new 1680. brian 

Yeah right, a 43, a 44, 2 -46s and a low 9 second NA 1679cc powered car, sounds like somebody is dreaming again.......oh wait, that's me  Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
1946vw

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2007, 05:13:41 am »

Down on farm.
1946vw

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2007, 05:14:53 am »

Still on the farm
1946vw

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2007, 05:15:45 am »

Still on the farm.
1946vw

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2007, 05:16:37 am »

Enough of the farm.
stealth67vw

« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2007, 05:39:40 am »

Those tailights are......uh........ different.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2007, 06:33:28 am »

Enough of the farm.
SHOWOFF! I nominate Brian Hyerstay's barn the official cal-look Wolfsburg shrine. Anyone second that? Grin

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
63 ripper

« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2007, 08:45:16 am »

Look! A real Cal Look car from the 70's and (GASP!) it has molding!!!

Grin
What, the green one in the foreground? Shocked

KS does your new blue car have trim ? Tongue

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2007, 08:51:30 am »

Grin

Oh yeah, baby! And wheels, and an engine, and, and....  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
63 ripper

« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2007, 08:52:58 am »

Grin

Oh yeah, baby! And wheels, and an engine, and, and....  Grin

BRMs ? Shocked

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2007, 08:55:21 am »

BRMs ? Shocked
Shocked I do have certain standards... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Donny B.

« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2007, 16:02:02 pm »

I may take some heat for this, but Oh well....

I am new to this forum, but I have been around for a few years and my taste has changed a lot.  It had nothing to do with the original cal-look issue of Hot VWs.  It had everything to do with the cars I saw on the road and at the shows.  Did anyone mention one piece windows?  I have one piece windows in my car and like the look.  All of this is about LOOK.  Fine, my flat-4 BRMS and GT steering wheel has the look.  Are they original? No, but I personally beileve they are of better quality than the originals.  I had a close friend with about eleven genuine BRMs and I was able to get him to admit they were crap.  They cracked easily and some were so porous you had to run tubes.  They didn't have the safety bead etc.  Okay I know that the originals are worth a lot of money, but I used to driver my '66 about 20k miles a year and I wouldn't feel as safe on the mag wheels.  Regarding the Empi GT steering wheel, I like the Flat-4 better.  In my opinion it is made to a higher quality standard.  I know it isn't worth as much, but I wouldn't trade mine for an original.  That is just my opinion.   I also have all the trim on my car because that is the way I like it.  For a while I had the trim off and was going to weld up the holes.  I'm sure glad I didn't do that.  Everyone seems to get hung up on ORIGINAL.  If that is what you like, Great!  To me it was about the look I liked and I got that.  Since I finished the car in '95 I have driven it over 100k miles.  I don't drive it near as much these days, but I used to.  In '97 between May 12th and September 1st I had driven it over 10k miles.  How many people still do that.  My car was never up to the current DKP standards.  For a short while I even showed it with a roof rack.  Shame on me.  Like I said my taste changed.  How many remember the middle 80s with the molded sun visors and tornado or turbo mirrors?  They called them cal-look back then.  They being the magazines.  The look is the look.  Sure hope I didn't alienate anyone.  I like it here.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
ESH

« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2007, 20:01:33 pm »

Sounds like a reasonable take on things to me. Not sure about reproduction parts being 'better' than the originals but there are plus points to both the reproduction stuff and the original stuff. You can turn out a good car going down either route as far as I can tell. I like a car that is totally period and I know of a few people that will only cut it that way but I also know people that have great cars that aren't loaded with the old stuff (and they're usually the faster people too! Grin). As for trim, my girlfriend and I have to make a decision on which way to go with a shell and right now it could go either way, we'll probably toss a coin as it changes daily.

Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2007, 20:20:18 pm »

I am new to this forum, but I have been around for a few years and my taste has changed a lot.  It had nothing to do with the original cal-look issue of Hot VWs.  It had everything to do with the cars I saw on the road and at the shows.  Did anyone mention one piece windows?  I have one piece windows in my car and like the look.  All of this is about LOOK.  Fine, my flat-4 BRMS and GT steering wheel has the look.  Are they original? No, but I personally beileve they are of better quality than the originals.  I had a close friend with about eleven genuine BRMs and I was able to get him to admit they were crap.  They cracked easily and some were so porous you had to run tubes.  They didn't have the safety bead etc.  Okay I know that the originals are worth a lot of money, but I used to driver my '66 about 20k miles a year and I wouldn't feel as safe on the mag wheels.  Regarding the Empi GT steering wheel, I like the Flat-4 better.  In my opinion it is made to a higher quality standard.  I know it isn't worth as much, but I wouldn't trade mine for an original.  That is just my opinion.   I also have all the trim on my car because that is the way I like it.  For a while I had the trim off and was going to weld up the holes.  I'm sure glad I didn't do that.  Everyone seems to get hung up on ORIGINAL.  If that is what you like, Great!  To me it was about the look I liked and I got that.  Since I finished the car in '95 I have driven it over 100k miles.  I don't drive it near as much these days, but I used to.  In '97 between May 12th and September 1st I had driven it over 10k miles.  How many people still do that.  My car was never up to the current DKP standards.  For a short while I even showed it with a roof rack.  Shame on me.  Like I said my taste changed.  How many remember the middle 80s with the molded sun visors and tornado or turbo mirrors?  They called them cal-look back then.  They being the magazines.  The look is the look.  Sure hope I didn't alienate anyone.  I like it here.

i think a lot of people think like this on this forum. we all like callook and we all share or opinions, with respect for one another. so there is really no right or wrong, repro or original here as long as you are happy with it. hang around long enough and figure it out

BUT roofracks are a big NO NO  Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2007, 20:34:02 pm »

Aye, I think a lot of folks think like that here. I like to rib folks about this and that, but it is all meant in fun. As long as you are happy with your car I really don't care. To me driving them and having fun with them is what is important. The diversity is what is great about this hobby. The fact that there is room for everyone's tastes. Now if you were to throw a set of gold plated Daytons on there, that might be different.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2007, 20:38:26 pm »

i think a lot of people think like this on this forum. we all like callook and we all share or opinions, with respect for one another. so there is really no right or wrong, repro or original here as long as you are happy with it. hang around long enough and figure it out

[/quote]

i agree

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2007, 22:05:28 pm »

What About My Roof Rack Guys  Huh Huh Huh but I think you made some very good points dude  Smiley

Also I think Mat is right about us "period correct" being a little slower  Wink Smiley we'll have to se what my lil 1700cc will do  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Donny B.

« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2007, 23:12:38 pm »

Sure is refreshing not to get slammed!  I like the original stuff, but....   My friend with the original BRMs and numerous issues with cracks.  Be careful to not hit any curbs, not that I would want to do that with any wheel.  By the way my roof rack is very special.   I got it with my wife's '61.  It is a 9 slat Bernhard Korner; a nice period piece from the '50s before VW started making their own.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2007, 20:22:45 pm »

I have allways loved primered cars, lowered fornt ends and a lot of horsepower, way too mouch if I might say, or better yet, the more the better.........I think timeslips in the glovebox are mandatory but street racing reputation and lot's of good stories from the parking lots or industrial suburbs are a must...............................the rest, guess it is up to each and every one!!! My favorite car being Mike Martinez chop top does not make it any clearer!!! well I guess it all boils down to having fun!!!
richie

« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2007, 22:11:38 pm »

Enough of the farm.
SHOWOFF! I nominate Brian Hyerstay's barn the official cal-look Wolfsburg shrine. Anyone second that? Grin

Hey Steve,I am glad you spelled Brians last name as I had no idea how too Sad   Figured there was on;y one 1946vw around and had to be the same Smiley  cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
fast54vw

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2007, 07:21:56 am »

The new engine for the Ghia 1984

the original sidewinder, they shoud have marketed it back in 84

Its not what you do, its how you do it!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: