The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 17:42:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  42 DCNFs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: 42 DCNFs  (Read 18481 times)
nicolas

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2009, 15:56:24 pm »

alright!

it's good to see that nice topics still can derail (if that is a word) so nicely  Grin

42's are the way to go. i have bought mine from Zach and it is just a very nice carb; the car runs better then with the 40 IDF's and responds so much better. i do have 34 vents and i might consider 32's.
my combo is 1776 with webcam 219/118 CR is about 8.5, heads are reworked stock with 40x35 valves.

now get completely offtopic as Louis has chosen DCNFs  Tongue
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2009, 16:01:34 pm »

Well, change is always in the air. It looks like the engine may end up being a 1914 instead of a 1776.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2009, 16:03:13 pm »

I heard Sheep named his pet ferret DCNF
Donny B.

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2009, 16:08:33 pm »

Louis, the 42s will still work fine on a 1914.  I've been running them on my 2007.  They are probably the smoothest running carbs you can use.  The Berg modified ones are the best.  I believe they open the idle circuit and you need to pin down the enrichment valves (piston) with set screws to keep them from flooding.  The latter is a simple procedure but is necessary.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2009, 22:17:51 pm »

Where's Ray?

I also park at Nick's.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2009, 23:10:34 pm »

Louis, the 42s will still work fine on a 1914.  I've been running them on my 2007.  They are probably the smoothest running carbs you can use.  The Berg modified ones are the best.  I believe they open the idle circuit and you need to pin down the enrichment valves (piston) with set screws to keep them from flooding.  The latter is a simple procedure but is necessary.

Maybe you could point out the mods on this diagram for us - please Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Donny B.

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2009, 02:51:22 am »

Part 64 is the enrichment piston.  There is a spring above it and a swedged in retainer.  Take out the retainer and spring then tap the hole for a set screw.  Loctite the set screw and run it in to secure the piston against the seat.  There are two in each carb.  I just found a tap that would fit and purchased the same size allen set screws.  I am not sure about opening up the idle circuit, but expect it is similar to drilling a third hole in an IDA.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2009, 04:10:02 am »

Where's Ray?

Cell phone.
Lee.C

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2009, 04:46:18 am »

Part 64 is the enrichment piston.  There is a spring above it and a swedged in retainer.  Take out the retainer and spring then tap the hole for a set screw.  Loctite the set screw and run it in to secure the piston against the seat.  There are two in each carb.  I just found a tap that would fit and purchased the same size allen set screws.  I am not sure about opening up the idle circuit, but expect it is similar to drilling a third hole in an IDA.

Cool cheers dude - I am sure this will help ALOT of people  Smiley

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2009, 08:40:27 am »

Drove my new 67 back from the POD 2 weeks ago with a WPS  built 1776 with a 120 cam and a nice set of 42DCNF Berg specials which i would say was my best drive ever in a beetle, perfect rev range and nice pick up. Dont know how much was due to the carbs but i was very inpressed.

Rob
Paul Knight

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2009, 21:55:25 pm »

ah, that's good to know, and makes sense - thanks!
I've used 40dcnfs on a couple of type 3 motors in stock format (ok, one set had the vents opened to 36, but only because i couldn't find any 42s or short idf fanimoulds at the time!), and i've got to say, they worked just fine. but then, neither car was particularly hot at cornering, so that's probably why they worked ok!

monkiboy, i have one spare set of 40s and a sweet set of 42s i've bee saving for my notch. if you sort some set screws before i do, let me know. Likewise, if I ever get round to building my type 3 motor (!), I'll give this a try and let you know how i get on Wink
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2009, 22:17:14 pm »

I'll chime in with another thumbs up for 42's. In my '67 I had a 1776, polished and ported big valved heads, 110 and a set of 42's. It ran really well, I could even get gas mileage in the high 30's with a light foot on the long hiway trips. A real nice set-up.

-jeffrey

Lee.C

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2009, 23:57:55 pm »

Hmmm this is all very interesting  Smiley but just how much better are DCNF's than DCN's  Huh The only real problem you have with DCN's as far as I can see is that the main jeets are in the bottom of the float bowl and not easy to access  Roll Eyes m ine are totally bone stock ie NO mods,

I have only run my DCN's for approx 400 miles now due to pushrod issues BUT I will say they are VERY VERY good, NO hesitations, VERY easy to tune and they sound AWESOME  Grin

Anyone else used/using DCN's just out interest Huh Smiley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 00:00:11 am by monkiboy » Logged

Lee.C

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2009, 02:07:03 am »

Also can someone point out the MAIN JETS on this DCNF diagram please  Huh Smiley

Dougy Dee

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2009, 02:26:42 am »

24. Anyone selling Type1 manifolds for DCNF?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: