The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:56:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Vaughn Rollings RIP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Vaughn Rollings RIP  (Read 12940 times)
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 07:12:04 am »

It was truly sad news when I heard of Vaughn’s passing. I knew him as person devoted first to his family, and my deepest sympathy go’s out to all of them. I had not seen him since I left his employ in ’85 to go to work for a Volvo dealer, and now that I’ve gotten back into VW’s, it would so nice to just chat with him.
He was passionate about his work, cars, and a very skilled craftsman too; happiest when there was some “Imagineering” to do, and would always greet you with a smile. In the 6 years I worked with him, I learned many of the skills I still use today. For example, he showed me how to “hold your tongue just right” when starting a Heli-Coil in #3 spark plug on a ’74 Beetle with air conditioning!!
He was not only my boss, but we also became very good friends too, spending many memorable weekends off-roading in the old family Burro, drag racing and at rallys.
I had been putting off posting because I have several pictures of his car and dragster to show, but my scanner is broken and I felt I shouldn’t wait too much longer. I will try to post them up soon and share more thoughts.

Bruce
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »

Bruce, didn't I swap you my '67 after my San Diego mishap for that Dutch Standard '67? I think you turned it into a Class 11 style off roader. What ever happened to that car?

-jeffrey

61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 05:52:05 am »

Yes, after your "mishap", Vaughn helped me salvage into a decent offroader. Keeping up with expensive 4X4's in the mud in a low budget Bug is so satisfing! I sold off all your Cal-look stuff to finance it, "3" Five Spokes (opps Jeff!) Weber's, Seats, interior etc.
He would take the old family Burro, Dave, another co-worker would take his '67 Baja, and I would take the '67 Class eleven "inspired" Bug to Azusa Canyon in the San Gabrial Mts on Sunday's. Mind you, he drove 40 miles from Fullerton to get there, 20 miles in mud, dirt and rocks, and then back home afterwards! I think I have an old picture of him there too, with a big muddy grin on his face of course!
You'll have to tell me about the fate of the '67 1200 sometime soon too.
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 02:56:39 am »

r.i.p. will never forget you co-worker
mark
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: