The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 22:47:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Vaughn Rollings RIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Vaughn Rollings RIP  (Read 12787 times)
jhicken
DKK

« on: January 03, 2009, 16:17:27 pm »

Man, I had a shock this morning, I picked up the latest Hot VW's which is the California Look Edition [Feb 09], with the yellow car on the cover. The first thing I thought was man, that reminds me of Vaughn's Rollings old car, although it's a '67 and Vaughn's was something like a '72, but it was yellow and doing a smoky burnout and that is what i remember most about Vaughn's car. I then start thumbing through the mag and ironically there is a short article on VW volks we recently lost. Now I heard about Jack Engle and Dick Vale, but what floored me was I saw Vaughn's name. Damn, he was only '56. It's been years since we've talked but I have so many good memories of him and his shop when it was located across teh street form the Fullerton PD. He helped build my first motor in my '67. His shop was often a weekend hangout for a few members of DKK. I even went down with him a half dozen times to OCIR. I was towing him back to the pits behind my '67 in his drag car [Imagination] in one of it's best passes [10.3 I think?]. I've been meaning to look him up again but I don't get to Cali that often. He may not have remembered who I was, but he sure had an impact on me.

Here's to you Vaughn, an unsung hero.

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 17:08:03 pm »

Oh man... this truly is saddening news. Vaughn was a funny dude that really knew how to work on cars, too. Loved his shop. Like Jeffrey posted, that place was one of the D.K.K. hangouts. A few of our club members were mechanics there, as well.

Rest in peace, Vaughn... you'll be missed but never forgotten.

Cry

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:24:57 am »

Sorry to hear this.  Cry    I believe he was the first customer to successfully install a Berg 5 in his car and one of the first to install Porsche alloys on a car. The IMAGINATION dragster was ahead of its time as well. A wizard when it came to mechanics. He deserved a lot more fame. RIP Vaughn!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 18:18:28 pm »

He was two doors down from my shop, Drank alot of beer with him, He was just ahead of his time when it came to makeing stuff run. A funny story how I met him, I use to walk my dog around the building when I moved in next to him. Well  {yoda} my dog, Use to bark at everything and everybody so it became a habit to hear yoda, shut the fuck up from me, So one day I was walking yoda and stopped to say hey to vaughn and he asked me is your dog named yoda or shut the fuck up.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
ugly duckling

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:01 am »

one of vaugns famoes rides. automatic digger. on one of those foggy morns at the county. his yellow street car i beleave was a 68/69. the last time i seen the street car was at angelos hambergers in the early eightys those were the deffent cool cruzin times in orange county. rip vaghn. UD.

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:01 am »

Oh man, that certainly is sad news.  I can't ever remember being more terrified in a full bodied bug (Dyno's red buggy was worse...oh my).  Vaughn definately had the lead foot in that yellow late model.  He was also the first that I can remember that installed the Mex turn signals in the late model bumpers.  I told him I was going to deep Mexico and he talked me into going to a dealership down there for him, and I brought the lights back in my luggage.  Jeff, you are right, Vaughn did it the right way.  Everyway.
Back in the day, even tho we were friends, he rarely worked on my car.  I could'nt afford him!  ha.  (went to Uve)
Vaughn's legend should be cherished by all.  He was way out of the box and way ahead of most of us.  He was always willing to strecth the limits of the (here it comes) Imagination.  Look THAT ride up young men and you are in for a surprise.  He could have easily put a standard 4 grinder in and instead spent hours and hours trying to be different tinkering with that damn auto trans....
I thank you Jeff for letting us know of his unfortunate passing and I can only smile when I think of those GIANT side burns/mutton chop wiskers he had sticking practically out the window of that 12 second yellow late model.
He will be missed.
Look this guy up.  He was a great influential renegade.
RIP

Worm

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:27:25 am »

Right on, Worm... I was hopin' that someone had a picture of the yellow car. Brings back good memories, staring at it.

R.I.P. Vaughn.

Cry

If anyone has or knows of anyone who has more pics of Vaughn and his cars, PLEASE get them posted up here. Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:51:24 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:28:00 am »

If anyone has any other info regarding his passing, please let us know. I just got this out of Hot VW's. The pics above are great, they really bring back the memories. Vaughn was a character, please post more stories, this guy shouldn't be forgotten.

-jeffrey

bilboa2

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:40 am »

I think I remember him beating gary berg's bergular after a car rally.. I think it was on orangethorpe not nabisco..? any one remember?  bill
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:12:11 am »

I heard that story too. It pulled a lot harder than the Berglar. Maybe Roger Crawford will chime in on this one. They were good friends.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 17:00:11 pm »

One more...

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 13:33:05 pm »

guys i 've just scan this report with vaughn
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 13:34:12 pm »

Wink

jhicken
DKK

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 15:38:07 pm »

Sweet! Thanks for posting that. What mag was it in?  As I mentioned before, I was with Vaughn when he shaved a little more that half a second off that posted time. He ran something around 10.3. I'm not sure what his best time eventually became, but he was one happy camper on that day down at OCIR. Great article, specially about the aspect of doign something outside the box. His brother Norm had a tubbed '57 Chevy with a 409 in it. I think the VW was faster though. Believe it or not, I think the reason Vaughn stopped racing is that as he got older, he couldn't fit in the car anymore!

-jeffrey

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 15:44:52 pm »

my pleasure jeff i know that you will happy with this one  Wink
it's december 78 hot vws

rgd
fabs

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 20:29:20 pm »

Wink

jhicken
DKK

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 01:10:20 am »

Yea, that's the card I have from Vaughn. I think he gave it to me when we first met. I was already in DKK at the time, otherwise, I probably would have checked out DZK. They had some pretty cool cars. Thanks again for posting all that.

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 07:22:46 am »

Very cool, Fabian... thanks for that article on Vaughn.

Here's a business card that he gave me, back when he had his shop.

~Sarge
RhoadsVW

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 17:44:52 pm »

Was sorry to here of his passing.  New him years ago. Helped me on a few projects. Mostly transmissions.  The roll bar that is in my green car is from his yellow car.  Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 18:36:21 pm »

Next time any of you are at roger crawford's Say hi to his son mark

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Vaughns Kids

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 20:53:09 pm »

Hello,
I am one Vaughns daughters Lisa. I just wanted to say how thankful me and my family are for all the nice comments and memories everyone on here wrote about my Dad. It has been almost a year now and we still can't believe it. We are all doing well though. I am so happy that my Dad is remembered by so many, it is truly awesome!

Sorry this is so late but we just found this post!

Danny, I will tell Mark hi for you Smiley and thanks again everyone!

Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 21:01:51 pm »

I think I remember him beating gary berg's bergular after a car rally.. I think it was on orangethorpe not nabisco..? any one remember?  bill

one day I was @ Roger's and noticed the pic of the yellow sedan on the wall and asked Roger about it. He said it was used to go hunt Gary Berg down way back when. Where is this car today?

Jim R
kingsburgphil

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 02:13:07 am »

This is sad news, I worked for Harold and Vaughn in 1976-77. Vaughn was fun to work with, and fun to work for. I'm going to miss him.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:16:02 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
58vw

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:41 am »

great guys and always helpful...remember their shop across from fullerton pd...vaughn helped me out one time when my car took a crap about 1984 as i was ditching class..got me running and back to school before i got caught Grin

sorry about your loss and gods speed to vaughn
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 23:57:04 pm by 58vw » Logged

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 17:55:48 pm »

Lisa,
I am so sorry for your loss.
Maybe you could post some of your own pictures of your dad or tell some stories about him ?
He will be sorely missed, but not forgotten.
 Cry

Hello,
I am one Vaughns daughters Lisa. I just wanted to say how thankful me and my family are for all the nice comments and memories everyone on here wrote about my Dad. It has been almost a year now and we still can't believe it. We are all doing well though. I am so happy that my Dad is remembered by so many, it is truly awesome!

Sorry this is so late but we just found this post!

Danny, I will tell Mark hi for you Smiley and thanks again everyone!

DKK1980
DKK

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 22:03:03 pm »

"Vaughn Rollings"   He is da man!
I was shocked to hear of his passing. He will be missed by many especially all the original ol school local cal lookers in Fullerton and DKK club members from the day. He was responsible for keeping me cruzin smooth always. One memory for me was when he built my trans in my 63 Rag but he wouldn't let me drive it untill I raised the rear back to stock settings after being lowered with negative camber.  Sad  He said "No Way!! Lets put that back end where its supposed to be....I said sure Vaughn.  I always listened to him for sure! He was so right about everything mechanical. Boy he sure could build reduction boxes in my split window buses too . Vaughn..... I will miss you dearly, and I will always remember that first "Burn-Out" you did with that mean "Berg 5" speed pullin into the parking lot in front of Perry's Pizza on DKK meeting night. First we heard that sound......the sound of him winding up the best sounding 48 motor anywhere, then a huge plume of rubber smoke......he screamed by us in second gear, you could barly see him inside the car, then when he hit third gear he was right in front of the hardware store windows and threw on the brakes! Just in time, he never hit 4th gear..........I will always remember that Vaughn.

My heart goes out to all of his family and friends,  We will meet again Vaughn!!! 
kevinandlinda

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 22:09:07 pm »

We have such great memories with Vaughn. He was such a nice guy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. He will be missed.... Kevin and Linda
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 05:10:21 am »

Here is a shot I clicked off at one of the OCIR Bug-Ins. I talked with Vaughn for awhile.  I was amazed at his ingenuity with the reduction style gears to use the VW automatic mid engine.  He was definitely very creative. Too bad to hear about him passing.  He was younger than me and that always makes you thankful to have another day.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:25 am »

"Vaughn Rollings"   He is da man!
I will always remember that first "Burn-Out" you did with that mean "Berg 5" speed pullin into the parking lot in front of Perry's Pizza on DKK meeting night. First we heard that sound......the sound of him winding up the best sounding 48 motor anywhere, then a huge plume of rubber smoke......he screamed by us in second gear, you could barly see him inside the car, then when he hit third gear he was right in front of the hardware store windows and threw on the brakes! Just in time, he never hit 4th gear..........I will always remember that Vaughn.

Vaughn was absolutely part of our old DKK scene, and don't forget he also had a fantastic sense of humor!       

.... a DKK Thursday night meeting, gathering up in the parking lot of Larry's Pizza, lining up our cars and visiting with each other prior to the meeting.    When all of a sudden you heard Vaughn begin his entrance with the recognizable winding of his engine.  Cool  All of us DEEKs would find our spot to view his signature trickery.  You just knew it was going to be entertaining!!  But on a rare occasion he would prank us all.  He would imitate the brand new 16 year old driver, popping the clutch without any use of the gas pedal.   His poor car just jerked along into the parking lot, with all of us DEEKs rolling on the floor laughing  Cheesy  He enjoyed a good laugh like the rest of us.

An extra prayer tonight for Vaughn and his family.  I know heaven is having some extra fun and laughs with him  Wink
Rennsurfer

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 18:23:41 pm »

Great recollection of a great person, Lisa. He was such a nice and funny guy.

Rest in Peace, Vaughn. Prayers and positive thoughts out to family and friends.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: