The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:49:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The "Good old Days" might be............................now.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The "Good old Days" might be............................now.  (Read 3534 times)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« on: January 09, 2009, 06:10:14 am »

Okay group, think about this...

We all dig the nostalgia thing, myself included, but did you ever stop to think about all the good quality parts that are available today?  The old timers can appreciate this. You can basically build a street car with off the shelf parts that would smoke most of the old race cars... Not only go faster, but stop and handle better.

Don't get me wrong! I'm firmly embedded in "old school", and I wish I had just HALF of the cool parts I've sold over the years. I'm just saying if you wanted to build a truly nice car, and if you werent worried about having a bunch of "original" parts such as real BRM's, EMPI, etc. nowdays it's easier than ever.

<Disclamer> Of course, as always, it's "buyer beware" of the nfg, el-cheepo, crap-ola parts still offered by some.

Any thoughts?

~DR.

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:17:24 am »

Any thoughts?

Thoughts? YES! As much as I dig the old days for Cal Look (also skateboarding, surfing, and life in general), the present time is good, as well. Like the good points that you posted... in many ways, these ARE those good old days, such as it were. Why? Simple... we're still young enough to enjoy the best of both old and new. And I'm still lucky enough to be involved with the three things that have kept me happy since I was kid; cars, skateboarding, & surfing. One of these days, I might consider growing up. But not bloody well likely.

"In this great future you can't forget your past."
~Bob Marley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:30:24 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:26:39 am »

Bill Schwimmer and I have had this conversation. If the choice comes down to it looking cool on the engine, but hurting the performance, it's gone.

I also park at Nick's.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:58 am »

We all dig the nostalgia thing, myself included, but did you ever stop to think about all the good quality parts that are available today?  The old timers can appreciate this. You can basically build a street car with off the shelf parts that would smoke most of the old race cars... Not only go faster, but stop and handle better.

Don't get me wrong! I'm firmly embedded in "old school", and I wish I had just HALF of the cool parts I've sold over the years. I'm just saying if you wanted to build a truly nice car, and if you werent worried about having a bunch of "original" parts such as real BRM's, EMPI, etc. nowdays it's easier than ever.

I was fortunate to find NOS front fenders for my project but wish there would be more good quality body restoration parts available. On the other hand my stroker would be a lot cheaper now than 10 years ago when I started collecting parts for it.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:33:53 am »

but did you ever stop to think about all the good quality parts that are available today? 

If you ask me, I really don't see alot of quality parts available these days. My experience is nothing seems to fit when installed. I still consider the good old days as the '70s & '80s when generally people took more pride in the items they sold. I personally cringe at the idea of putting anything reproduction on my car IMO. That is not to say I wouldn't do it; if the quality is there.
I think cars went faster back then than they are now; but that's when octane was higher and you could run higher compression motors heads from Lonnie Reed for example. Probably more reliable now though.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:17:30 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
GreenTom

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:05:39 am »

Ireally don't mind using new good quality parts as good Day mouldings wings or good CB heads, cranks or new Berg shifters. Of corse this is really cool to have NOS Items on youre car like my friend's freshly bought Hurst shifter... briliant stuff.

this kinda discussions are always started when talking about new turbo EFI engines vs IDA oldschool screamers... both are beautiffu and fun giving Smiley you really can't compare which is "better"... and You shouldn't Cheesy.

one people wanna vave all nos parts and the found funn in seeking parsts in old bars, scrapp yards etc.. others find funn just in having nice car that they build by themeselves from new parst Wink both are hobbys and shoudn't be compared or blamed for something Smiley

the true thihng is that now you've got more parts wchich are avaliable for more people (I'm talking about prices and avaliability). I would give everything to live in 50/60ties ;P to deal with that cars... but why they didn't have sbnowboarding than ;P

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Udo

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:56:46 pm »

but did you ever stop to think about all the good quality parts that are available today? 

If you ask me, I really don't see alot of quality parts available these days. My experience is nothing seems to fit when installed. I still consider the good old days as the '70s & '80s when generally people took more pride in the items they sold. I personally cringe at the idea of putting anything reproduction on my car IMO. That is not to say I wouldn't do it; if the quality is there.
I think cars went faster back then than they are now; but that's when octane was higher and you could run higher compression motors heads from Lonnie Reed for example. Probably more reliable now though.  Cheesy

The funny or should i say sad thing is , when we started building engines in 1980 we liked to use german parts , not made in the USA because of the bad quality . We took some Gene Berg Parts because they worked good - and still work -. I these days you can be lucky to get made in the USA and not made in China . The USA quality is ok but i hate all that chines junk that is offered in the last years . Sorry , most people do not like to hear this because they like cheap , but it is true !! Since CSP and some parts that i do the level of quality made in germany is a little higher !
The same is regarding to the car - body - parts . In the old days you could go to your VW dealer and buy all parts you need . This is why i gather old used parts for my 67 project and get them sand blasted and new painted or new chromed . This is an expensive way but worth the money !

Udo

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 13:51:29 pm by Udo » Logged

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 15:34:11 pm »

Let me narrow it down a bit... when I started this post, I guess I was mainly referring to mechanical parts. I agree on the body parts, at least my experiance back when I had my shop, it was hard to find any aftermarket body parts that fit... in fact, any sheet metal parts can be a problem.

What I AM saying, is nowdays you can build a stronger transmission than ever before, four wheel disc brake kits are only a click away, you can but decent cyl heads off the shelf, good crankshafts are available, etc.

For the record, I am comparing "apples to apples" on parts available. As far as power, I'm NOT comparing turbo vs an IDA car... turbos belong on diesels Wink JUST KIDDING! One of my favorite cars is Richie's '67 Vert... We all know turbo cars can be faaaaaaast, but I still dig a healthy IDA motor.

One other thing... there were VERY few 12 second street cars back in the 70's compared to now... I know. I lived it.

~DR. Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 15:59:37 pm »

I think there are more quality parts both mechanically and in replacement sheet metal now than there used to be. I have had this conversation before and you can basically build a 200 hp 12 sec motor with mostly off the shelf parts. And it can be done for less than $6,000. You are seeing more and more quality sheet metal, take the WW floor pans as an example, but its still mostly garbage. As the hobby matures though and more people are willing to spend on quality parts I think you will see more quality parts on the market. Remember, for the most part, VW people are still cheap. But as we age and our disposable income is hopefully increasing I think more people are willing to put out that extra money on quality parts.

An example of this is the cost of paint jobs. There is a thread on another VW forum about if $7,000 dollars is right for a show quality paint job. Um, in most hot rodding and muscle car circles, if you asked for a show quality paint job at $7,000 the shop would laugh you out the door.

This post had a point I am sure, but 'ell if I can remember what it was.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 16:40:59 pm »

I think for parts what you can get off the selves that work and smoke any car of the past is due to the 70's and 80's being the experimental years and what you see now off the shelves is what came out of all those trials and errors from the past.

Technique has come along way since then i agree but now i miss the fun in building something and trying different things coz you wanted to figur things out to go fast.Now you buy this head cnc ported etc and it works right outta the box as with so many parts Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
ESH

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 12:33:00 pm »

I think it's relatively easy now when it comes to getting a good engine together but trying to get good original panels for any year's getting a lot tougher but fortunately still isn't impossible. Maybe that's not such a problem where it's sunny but here in the UK it's definitely an issue.

All in all though it is pretty good but it would be nice to see some of the cheap shit killed off.

Smiley
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 15:12:22 pm »

Plus, what about the tools readily available at not-too-bad- prices today. Mig - tig welders. air-tools etc. in the early days ?

Done ? Not Yet.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 19:19:02 pm »

Drivetrain and suspension wise, I would have to agree.

But you can take your modern drivetrain and suspension if I can build a 4 year old car instead of a 40 year old car! Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: