The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 18:14:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  truss bar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: truss bar  (Read 31347 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 23:58:15 pm »

Their rear support bar is indeed crap! On the bright side it's at least chromed...  Roll Eyes

Dam right! I have a few cool ideas for mine though  Wink Also is it just me or does the use of "Hemi-joints" in these so called truss bars inherantly allow FLEX/TWIST thus defeating the point of them  Undecided Smiley

Anyone hav any thoughts on my point about the hemi joints  Undecided Huh Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 00:06:28 am »

Do They make a Truss for an early pan? with the straight upper shock bolts?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bobby Welker

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 06:03:48 am »

hey subee look at the one at eyeball-engineering.net, he has early and late truss bars way better than any out yet.  take a look hope this helps
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 19:42:43 pm »

, do they need to be adjustable??
They don't need to be adjustable, just rigid.  Adjustability just makes installation easy in every car.

Cool, then welded bars it will be...

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 03:34:24 am »

well this is way old now seems but heres a shot of my trussbar setup finally....

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Eric Justus

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 03:59:48 am »

I wonder if a traction bar actually bolted to T2/T3 mount bosses on case would completely rid a car of wheel hop?
I know a normal traction bar, like Berg's stops downward travel, but under wheel hop, the motor is bouncing around like a BB in a coffee can. If the bar is tensioned "enough" I guess it would pre load the motor upwards enough, but what if the engine was located in the rear in all directions, by bolting the case directly to a tensioned bar? I suppose a guy could even fashion some type of rubber dampers to go between case and bar (10mm male thread to screw into case, then hard rubber spacer, then female 10 or even 12mm threads to bolt traction bar to). Danny Gabbard are you listening?

sorry to take this off the above topic.

I couldnt run a traction bar on my 343. I ran the CSP truss bar and it eliminated all wheel hop and helped click off 1.4-1.6 60 foots too  Wink

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 10:17:28 am »

I`m not a brigde builder

Here you go BB, a crash course in bridge building (truss) construction:

Wiki: "The nature of a truss allows for the analysis of the structure using a few assumptions and the application of Newton's laws of motion according to branch of physics known as statics. For purposes of analysis, truss are assumed to be pin jointed where the straight components meet. This assumption means that members of the truss (chords, verticals and diagonals) will only act in tension or compression."

In other words, the point is to design so there is no bending...  the CSP design has no bending, while the other design relies on the top bar being stiff enough not to bend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_bridge

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ian c

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:20 am »

hey subee look at the one at eyeball-engineering.net, he has early and late truss bars way better than any out yet.  take a look hope this helps

ive had my eye on one of them for a while  Grin
the tranny brace looks good as well .

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Bobby Welker

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 06:56:22 am »

hey you guy's are talking about a truss bar?  Why do you have to  HACK on the body make it fit?  CSP I spoke to them about it, at the Bug-in , they pretty much looked the other way.  Don't get me wrong nice piec of machine work  I had one but sold it, didn't want to detroy my car. IMO
airstuff

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 12:29:11 pm »

What do you guys say about the Eyeball engineering kit?

Here you go the link:

http://eyeball-engineering.net/TorqueBar.html

I like it
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 12:50:59 pm »

What do you guys say about the Eyeball engineering kit?

Here you go the link:

http://eyeball-engineering.net/TorqueBar.html

I like it

I like it too, but do they have it in stock?

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
airstuff

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 13:14:01 pm »

hey BeetleBug,

send thema mail to :  Productquestions@Eyeball-Engineering.net
ian c

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 15:37:48 pm »

the way its designed , it should suffer more flex on the horizontal bar , but its nice and thick to overcome that .
means there is no chance of clashes with big headers too .

the way theres a joint makes it easier to fit too .

as i said earlier , the tranny brace is a nice piece of kit ...

(o\ ! /o)
Hotrodvw

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 06:18:12 am »

I basically built an exact copy of the black one like in this pic.  Here are pics of mine.  I also used 1"x.120" mild steel hydraulic tubing, w/ 1/2" heims.  I welded brackets to my solid rear mount rather than fab an eyelet set up for the frame horn bolts. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:20:57 am by Hotrodvw » Logged

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 06:51:35 am »

Looks good nice work, I have a little question on the Beefiness of some of the tabs but looks like you did a good job.

I'm very happy with how mine came out here's a shot again done by Mike at 407 sppeed shack in Downey Ca. Welded in but no cutting of body.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:54:53 am by Jason Foster » Logged

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Hotrodvw

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:57 am »

I'm not racing yet, so it hasn't been 'thoroughly' tested yet.  Weld in didn't appeal to me.  I like things removeable.  I've never liked something so much I had to have it forever.......except for my wife.   Wink

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 14:12:24 pm »

Not to change the subject, but what is the best way to keep the rear frame horns from flexing? Tieing it into a roll cage?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
ian c

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 17:36:19 pm »

Their rear support bar is indeed crap! On the bright side it's at least chromed...  Roll Eyes

Dam right! I have a few cool ideas for mine though  Wink Also is it just me or does the use of "Hemi-joints" in these so called truss bars inherantly allow FLEX/TWIST thus defeating the point of them  Undecided Smiley

the joints give ease of installation , but are also there for pre-tensioning .
you tension the sides differently to help stop the engine twisting when you rev it .

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 17:37:42 pm »

Not to change the subject, but what is the best way to keep the rear frame horns from flexing? Tieing it into a roll cage?

--louis

1 : tied into the cage .
2 : welded to chassis .
3 : truss bar / tranny brace / traction bar .
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:17:52 am by ian c » Logged

(o\ ! /o)
Neil Davies

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 10:46:12 am »

--louis

It amazes me that people are willing to go down the strip in 12 second cars without any form of roll over protection. If I was putting in some form of bracing system into the back of a car that would see any amount of track time, I would take the opportunity to add at least a roll bar and rear diagonals.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 13:03:56 pm »

--louis

It amazes me that people are willing to go down the strip in 12 second cars without any form of roll over protection. If I was putting in some form of bracing system into the back of a car that would see any amount of track time, I would take the opportunity to add at least a roll bar and rear diagonals.

true.

BUT in Belgium (where else  Roll Eyes ) it is illegal to put a rollbar or cage in a car that is driven on the street. i have heard it and asked myself and they said it is illegal. can't get my head around that either as all new cars basically have rollcages build into the chassis and case...
Stephan32

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 14:56:50 pm »

Hi Guys,

Here are my experiences.
I did run a berg mid mound on rubber and torque bars. ( similiar to CSP stuff )
Both did not help to eliminate wheel hop.
I welded the lower part of the torque bar to the frame horns.... it ripped out of it.. serious! ( the weld was perfect )
After that I installed a stiffer and more solid rear gear box support, welded onto that no problem.
Still wheel hop.
I then fitted solid mounts to the berg mid mount  ( cheers Tobi ) and it got better, but wasn`t gone.
At last I fitted a rear engine support, not solid with rubber.
Since wheel hop is gone...

But one thing, the CSP torque bar has one big plus, the rear suspension gets much stiffer and the handling
of any fast street car improves by miles.
Excellent when you like a "snappy" back end.

Cheers Stephan
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 21:33:00 pm »

hey you guy's are talking about a truss bar?  Why do you have to  HACK on the body make it fit?  CSP I spoke to them about it, at the Bug-in , they pretty much looked the other way.  Don't get me wrong nice piec of machine work  I had one but sold it, didn't want to detroy my car. IMO

There is absolutely no need to hack up the body with the CSP bar. You just need to have the long block with exhaust pipes
1 and 3 ready, to make/tack the lower brackets. The upper bar is the "easy" fit.

Done ? Not Yet.
PIP

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 15:49:46 pm »

Oldspeed setup

#247 ROMETSCH BEESKOW RESTO
http://www.dbkvw.com/photos/rometsch_beeskow_247_rest/
Dbkvw.com
Hotrodvw

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 16:04:20 pm »

I would move the tranny cradle ends down as close to the frame horns as possible.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2009, 16:07:44 pm »

That does not look like it is giving good triangulation.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Hotrodvw

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2009, 16:09:28 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK..........I'll bite.  I thought about this also.  I pre-loaded the down bars with the floor jack under the cradle.  Basically, I put the the weight of the car on the rear trans mount.  Nothing moved.  This is how I set mine up., so it's pulling upward.  If anything, the frame hors won't go any further.  My heims if anything are being pulled on.  

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2009, 21:29:11 pm »

[/quote]

OK..........I'll bite.  I thought about this also.  I pre-loaded the down bars with the floor jack under the cradle.  Basically, I put the the weight of the car on the rear trans mount.  Nothing moved.  This is how I set mine up., so it's pulling upward.  If anything, the frame hors won't go any further.  My heims if anything are being pulled on. 
[/quote]

Hmmm interesting BUT Just the wait of the car is very different to the forces involved when launching on a sticky track with slicks  Undecided  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Hotrodvw

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2009, 21:52:26 pm »

Possibly........but my car is a street car, not a race car.  It may occasionally see track time, but only on radials.  For my application, I think the heims are fine.  That said.....I have a friend that runs the same set up that I have on the track w/ M&H DOT slicks and has no issues either.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: