The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:00:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  keith goss chop top stories
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: keith goss chop top stories  (Read 24507 times)
nicolas

« on: January 16, 2009, 13:45:37 pm »

well

most recently i have been thinking about this car again. now with Keith sharing a story about how he drove it and before that by seeing it in the callook book. it really must have been something special back then. maybe even frowned upon... as it didn't fit in with what was common back then.

or a story off how it came to England... i bet you have some to share KS.  Kiss  Grin
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 16:56:00 pm »

here's a pict for a good start  Grin Grin Grin

for sale

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fritte

2044 48IDA

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 17:47:59 pm »

Love the car with Dual Quiet Pack Muffler Cool

12.63-174kmt @ SCC 2012. JPM Dyno: 173hk @ 7000rpm. 209Nm
oppdatere til å bruke
deano

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 17:58:17 pm »

I recall when Keith Goss finished that car and was getting it ready for its big Bug-In debut. As a favor, I had filled, sanded and painted all the engine sheet metal for him, so when I got to the Bug-In, I was anxious to see the finished engine compartment for the first time. But where was Keith? It was late morning, and he was no where to be found. Finally, he drove up, but came from the far end of the track and not the front gate. What I found out was that during the trip to OCIR, the breather backed up or got unplugged, and the entire engine was bathed in oil... as in dripping! Keith and "Eggs" had to clean the entire engine of oil, using every rag they could find. When they pulled up to their spot in the show, both of them were thrashed and covered in oil. Keith was exhausted from the night before, and having his dream debut going off the rails was not what he had in mind. But, as we all know, the day turned out not too shabby.... "World's Most Beautiful VW"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 18:32:59 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
IP359

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 18:24:36 pm »

My tribute......
But who're these guys Huh??
 Grin Grin Grin

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 22:05:55 pm »

Too many stories of my own, but it was the very first car I ever wrote about in a magazine – back in 1976 or 77. Always loved it and never forgot it. When I was researching the first Cal Look book, I spent an evening with Roger Grago, who talked at great length about Keith Goss's car and how fast/neat etc it was. I said i always loved the car and Roger told me that Keith stil owned it. That was on a Tuesday night.On Friday I met with Bill Schwimmer and we also talked about Keith Goss's car. Bil told me he stlil had it AND it was probably for sale... Bill arranged for me to see it on Sunday – it had sat virtually untouched in Keith's garage since 1984 when he blew up the engine. The motor was rebuilt and sitting alongside the car in the garage. Keith and I talked – he is a shy, slightly nervous sort of person, but he opened up when he realised that I was the person who had written about his car in a British magazine all those years ago. We also laughed when we realised we were the same age and, of course, both called Keith. It was fate. I made an offer, the deal was done and the car came to the UK a couple of months later.

When I saw the car, it looked good except for some paint blistering across the roof. By the time it arrived in the UK, the paint was blistered everywhere. I took it to Luke at Terry's Beetle Services and he decide that there was no option but to bare metal it. I was afraid to do that but agreed. It was very interesting to see al the bodywork that had been done. Most of the seams had been brazed (real old school work!). Underneath the dashboard was (and still is) a plaque which Keith had made. It read something like "Creme of the Chops, built out of love by Keith Goss, May 1976".  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 22:11:58 pm »

Too many stories of my own, but it was the very first car I ever wrote about in a magazine – back in 1976 or 77. Always loved it and never forgot it. When I was researching the first Cal Look book, I spent an evening with Roger Grago, who talked at great length about Keith Goss's car and how fast/neat etc it was. I said i always loved the car and Roger told me that Keith stil owned it. That was on a Tuesday night.On Friday I met with Bill Schwimmer and we also talked about Keith Goss's car. Bil told me he stlil had it AND it was probably for sale... Bill arranged for me to see it on Sunday – it had sat virtually untouched in Keith's garage since 1984 when he blew up the engine. The motor was rebuilt and sitting alongside the car in the garage. Keith and I talked – he is a shy, slightly nervous sort of person, but he opened up when he realised that I was the person who had written about his car in a British magazine all those years ago. We also laughed when we realised we were the same age and, of course, both called Keith. It was fate. I made an offer, the deal was done and the car came to the UK a couple of months later.

When I saw the car, it looked good except for some paint blistering across the roof. By the time it arrived in the UK, the paint was blistered everywhere. I took it to Luke at Terry's Beetle Services and he decide that there was no option but to bare metal it. I was afraid to do that but agreed. It was very interesting to see al the bodywork that had been done. Most of the seams had been brazed (real old school work!). Underneath the dashboard was (and still is) a plaque which Keith had made. It read something like "Creme of the Chops, built out of love by Keith Goss, May 1976".  Smiley

that's cool about the plaque. Was that a common touch back in the 70's?

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 22:47:05 pm »

No, the car was such a massive part of Keith's life (and mine, as it turned out) that he was really cut up about selling it. He made the plaque and fitted it to the car the night before it was shipped. You can only see it by lying upside down under the dashboard... He also stamped "K Goss" into the throttle linkage and crankcase. When I went through the car, I left a written message behind the door panels, too. All part of the car's history. Smiley

Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 23:02:55 pm »

No, the car was such a massive part of Keith's life (and mine, as it turned out) that he was really cut up about selling it. He made the plaque and fitted it to the car the night before it was shipped. You can only see it by lying upside down under the dashboard... He also stamped "K Goss" into the throttle linkage and crankcase. When I went through the car, I left a written message behind the door panels, too. All part of the car's history. Smiley

Definitely one of the cars that seemed "alive" if you get what I mean. True Soul.
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 23:09:14 pm »

you are right Jim. it has soul, whatever it means, but it has.

and KS, thanks. those were the things that i was hoping for. if you find the time to write down another one please do.
there are other cars that are/were out there and where stories like this could be written about, but i picked this car as it is so 'different' like i mentioned before and off what i know never been repeated.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 23:59:12 pm »

Thanks Uncle Keith  Wink Smiley this car has been a huge influence on my tastes when it come to "Cal Look"  Grin

I really love the whole look of the car - especially the wheels  Wink

Lets here more Keith  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 00:23:53 am »

Thats cool stuff Keith...! I wonder how many cars are marked in some way... I know I rounded of the ends of the drip rails of my first bug, nothing too obvious, but I will recognize it if I see it again.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 15:38:51 pm »

i saw the plaque under the dash at the bug show when russell doing a price with the car , i will watch after the pict  Wink

Russell

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 19:35:51 pm »

Fabs

what do you mean a "price" with the car....... ?

Its not for sale, its far too good, and cool.  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 19:50:14 pm »

Fabs

what do you mean a "price" with the car....... ?

Its not for sale, its far too good, and cool.  Grin
price =awards =trophies etc...................... Grin Grin Grin that was 3 or 4 years ago  when you have broken the trans

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 03:00:45 am »

I loved this car from the time I saw Keith Goss debut it until I actually sat in it. Funny that I had to travel to England in 1994 to do so. Keith Seume allowed me to sit in the hallowed drivers seat...then we took a group shot with Anne and I, Gene & Dee Berg (whom we spent several weeks with in England and for factory tours in Germany), Dyno Don, Keith and wife, RK Smith and someone I do not recall.

It was a great time. Got to meet Bernard Newbury and wife that same trip. The Goss chop top was one of my all time favorites, besides the Mike Martinez chop. Decided at that time I would own one eventually.  Finally came about. 

The Goss chop exemplified a cross between the I/Gas sedans of the day and a high end Cal Look.  What a great car...

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 03:03:43 am »

More shots of our trip to Avon Park in the summer of 1994...the GOSS CHOP TOP and other great memories.  What a great trip and memory.  Thought I would throw up these shots I took of Keith doing a burnout in his old chop and then carrying the wheels off the starting line.  Great turbo car in the day.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
bilboa2

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:16 am »

Kieths,My favorite chop for sure. Back then keiths'cars was done and mikes martinez's was being built... both good friends. Kieth's thought towards mikes was nice but not quite the correct 'slope', I thought so too. Mike's orig motor was a detailed 1600, I believe.Later hooked up with lonnie reed, and made a bad as race gas/close ratio trans car.12.78 at o.c.I never road in kieth's when he had a big cam, but quite a few road trips with the engle 110,still a torque monster.He did drive it...as many say "he never drove it' Both good fiends, but mike's was never as "COOL"..Kieth lived by disneyland, many great rides, viewied through a "smokey"chopped windshield... different views for sure.good memories/fun times.   p.s. how far is england by train?? love to ride in it since engine enhancements..bill
rick m

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 07:23:16 am »

Hey Bill...how's that 67 you bought? Sounds like you are getting busy with some projects. Do you still have the Bahama Blue street car?

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 08:35:31 am »

Wow, thanks for the memories, Rick! Was a great weekend for sure! Having Dyno stay with us was an adventure in itself! Roll Eyes Grin

Doktor

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 15:12:11 pm »

Found nice one on youtube... Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhHgwsCnxEs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nhHgwsCnxEs</a>

This was from Beetle Bash '96, and around that year my grandpa left me his bug... Cool

dr.aircooled
Russell

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 22:20:39 pm »

wow.....

Ivan with hair and keith thrashing my car AGAIN !  Wink

Best Regards

Russell
Doktor

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:43 am »

wow.....

Ivan with hair and keith thrashing my car AGAIN !  Wink

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

dr.aircooled
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:43 am »

Back on track...

When I took the chop-top to have its first MOT (tech) inspection prior to getting it UK registered, I booked it into our local VW agents – they'd been VW dealers since about 1955 – and hoped for the best. Well, the old guy who did the tech inspections was waiting for me in the workshop and waved me forward over the inspection pit and two-ramp lift. He quickly threw up his hand and yelled stop! He then knelt down and waved me forward as he'd noticed the car was lower than stock and was concerned about the beam hitting part of the ramp assembly. No problem, as it turned out, but it showed he cared (maybe only about the test equipment...). Anyway, he began by asking me to turn on the lights – all OK. Horn? OK, Wipers? OK, Washers? OK etc etc...

At this point, the service manager wandered in as he'd seen the car out of his window and wanted to have a closer look. Turns out he used to rally a Bug back in the 1960s and was interested to see what the chop-top was all about. The parts manager then showed up – he still drove a 1959 Bug as his hobby car – and he asked to take a look at the engine. Well, the sight of two 48IDAs blew them away – the service manager couldn't believe a 1600 ran so well with them. Weren't they a bit big? ER, actually it's a 2.1-litre motor, I explained, followed by a brief rundown of the engine spec.

As we chatted about the car, the tech inspector climbed down into the inspection pit beneath the car to continue his work. There was a brief silence followed by "Oh my God, what's going on here? Hey guys, come and take a look at this!". The parts and service managers climbed down to take a look. The gloss-black floorpan, braided hosing, chromed suspension components etc were not what they expected to see on an old Beetle. The tech guy then said to me "You might as well take it away now. If the underneath of the car looks as good as this, then I'm sure everything else is going to be just fine." I got the tech ticket (MOT certificate to us) without the brakes, suspension, wheel bearings or steering being checked at all. Keith Goss's building skills had won them over...

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 16:38:18 pm »

the glory day  Cool Cool Cool ...........bug in 16

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 17:00:07 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 17:01:02 pm »

Wink

peach_

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 19:02:16 pm »

Back on track...

When I took the chop-top to have its first MOT (tech) inspection prior to getting it UK registered, I booked it into our local VW agents – they'd been VW dealers since about 1955 – and hoped for the best. Well, the old guy who did the tech inspections was waiting for me in the workshop and waved me forward over the inspection pit and two-ramp lift. He quickly threw up his hand and yelled stop! He then knelt down and waved me forward as he'd noticed the car was lower than stock and was concerned about the beam hitting part of the ramp assembly. No problem, as it turned out, but it showed he cared (maybe only about the test equipment...). Anyway, he began by asking me to turn on the lights – all OK. Horn? OK, Wipers? OK, Washers? OK etc etc...

At this point, the service manager wandered in as he'd seen the car out of his window and wanted to have a closer look. Turns out he used to rally a Bug back in the 1960s and was interested to see what the chop-top was all about. The parts manager then showed up – he still drove a 1959 Bug as his hobby car – and he asked to take a look at the engine. Well, the sight of two 48IDAs blew them away – the service manager couldn't believe a 1600 ran so well with them. Weren't they a bit big? ER, actually it's a 2.1-litre motor, I explained, followed by a brief rundown of the engine spec.

As we chatted about the car, the tech inspector climbed down into the inspection pit beneath the car to continue his work. There was a brief silence followed by "Oh my God, what's going on here? Hey guys, come and take a look at this!". The parts and service managers climbed down to take a look. The gloss-black floorpan, braided hosing, chromed suspension components etc were not what they expected to see on an old Beetle. The tech guy then said to me "You might as well take it away now. If the underneath of the car looks as good as this, then I'm sure everything else is going to be just fine." I got the tech ticket (MOT certificate to us) without the brakes, suspension, wheel bearings or steering being checked at all. Keith Goss's building skills had won them over...

Cheesy thats such a cool story, got any more?  Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 19:23:59 pm »

Best chopped VW ever... so far Wink
What was the wheel/tire set up on that car? Looks like late 6" & 7" Fuchs, with a 215/60 out back??
Keep the stories coming! Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 19:36:40 pm »

zach here's a pict of the wheels i took last year at ebi1

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: