The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:13:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lounge member's car registry? and making keys
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Lounge member's car registry? and making keys  (Read 15140 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 06:56:26 am »

Anyway, I was pulled over and while writing my warning ticket , the officer made me remove the tpse from my VIN# and told me it was against the law to cover it. I covered it up again the next day. Cool

Amen, brother. Good on ya.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 10:56:30 am »

When I bought my '51 (just over 3 years ago) I rang an old friend who's a real vintage buff. He asked for the VIN number to see if he could identify it. Turned out he'd got an old database from the mid-90's with all the VIN numbers of split window beetles known in the UK at that time. I gave him the first three numbers and he told me the last three! Then he told me when the car had come into the Uk, where from, and a load of information about the car that I didn't know. He even said he remembered seeing the car back then and might have some photos!

Not much of a point to all that, other than that although a database of VIN numbers might be a good idea as a private resource, it's probably better off as that, not a public thing.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Sarge

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 14:34:17 pm »

Some of the local dealerships were cutting keys from the VIN without having people prove ownership.

Keys are a HUGE problem at the dealership.  We don't let ANYONE off easy when it comes to ordering them (especially if they've lost all their keys... you need a current registration and drivers license to apply as well as being the OWNER of the car.  It's amazing how many times we have to go over and over this with a customer Roll Eyes).  All new VW's and Audi's 2000 and up have immobilizer ignition systems meaning the key must be programed to the car (that will be an additional $125 Smiley) by our Service Department to get the vehicle to start (it's amazing how many times we have to go over and over THIS with a customer, too Roll Eyes).  We also have to keep all this information in a log book which could be inspected by "Big Brother" at any time.  Duplicating a customers existing key doesn't require all the paperwork... we have a small mill for doing the flat sided center cut late model keys as well as a relic of a machine for doing the older conventional looking keys.  One tiny screw-up and you get to start over again.... the boss is ALWAYS watching, too. Angry Sad  Just one of many blood pressure tests in a day at the Fun Zone. Wink

DKP III
Brian Silva

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 18:34:55 pm »

Haha, Had the same experience as Sarge at the Mercedes dealer I worked at. When a customer wanted to order a key, they had to go thorough the same process for purchasing a key. They bocked and squeeled once they found out a single key cost $210  Shocked dollars but for that kind of money we threw in the programming for no charge.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 01:52:56 am »

Great post, Sarge. Good to hear that dealerships are going beyond a few us car owners covering the vin.

~Sarge
lawrence

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 02:02:15 am »

Some of the local dealerships were cutting keys from the VIN without having people prove ownership.

Keys are a HUGE problem at the dealership.  We don't let ANYONE off easy when it comes to ordering them (especially if they've lost all their keys... you need a current registration and drivers license to apply as well as being the OWNER of the car.  It's amazing how many times we have to go over and over this with a customer Roll Eyes).  All new VW's and Audi's 2000 and up have immobilizer ignition systems meaning the key must be programed to the car (that will be an additional $125 Smiley) by our Service Department to get the vehicle to start (it's amazing how many times we have to go over and over THIS with a customer, too Roll Eyes).  We also have to keep all this information in a log book which could be inspected by "Big Brother" at any time.  Duplicating a customers existing key doesn't require all the paperwork... we have a small mill for doing the flat sided center cut late model keys as well as a relic of a machine for doing the older conventional looking keys.  One tiny screw-up and you get to start over again.... the boss is ALWAYS watching, too. Angry Sad  Just one of many blood pressure tests in a day at the Fun Zone. Wink

Same deal over at To#¤ta, Sarge. A few years ago I worked the retail counter and I would deal with customers and their keys on a daily basis. Run the VIN, get the key code, cut the key, etc. I got quite good and the parts guys usually asked me to cut them because I had the magic touch Grin With some keys ranging from $75-$125 the boss didnt want many screw ups.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Sam K

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:25 am »

A very close friend of mine lost the only key to his '98 Audi A4 (which I had previously owned and ended up with again later, but that's a whole other story) while on vacation. The car was in the airport parking lot and something like $15.00 per day. betweem the parmking fees and the cost of a new "switchblade" key and getting it programmed to the car, it cost him a small fortune.
Sarge

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 17:24:05 pm »

Being a dealership in Santa Ana, you can only imagine how many car "flippers" (those in the business of buying and selling used junk) we get to deal with on a daily basis involving keys.  Then there's the young gals who lost all their keys (at the club they were at last night) and want us to drop EVERYTHING we're doing NOW and make a key over the phone for pick-up in the next five minutes Roll Eyes!  I HATE KEYS!!! Angry

DKP III
lawrence

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 21:11:28 pm »

Being a dealership in Santa Ana, you can only imagine how many car "flippers" (those in the business of buying and selling used junk) we get to deal with on a daily basis involving keys.  Then there's the young gals who lost all their keys (at the club they were at last night) and want us to drop EVERYTHING we're doing NOW and make a key over the phone for pick-up in the next five minutes Roll Eyes!  I HATE KEYS!!! Angry

I like to classify those people into the group called MORONS!! Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Bugsy

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 22:12:53 pm »

Yes Lawrence. MORONS!
In many cases the Polo owners seems to be the worst and S8 owners is the more understanding one. In Sweden we now have to order the keys with the help of VIN, already cut from our Audi/VW importer, Takes a couple of days but you should have thought of that before you lost your LAST key, instead of makeing a copy of the existing one Grin.

SARGE
How easy is it if you need a key to an older car in the states, up to 95'?  Do you have axcess to an existing code or do you sell new locks right on? I would say in our case it's almost impossible to get the code to those.
Sarge

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 00:46:36 am »

I like to classify those people into the group called MORONS!! Grin

Well put, dude! Grin

Yes Lawrence. MORONS!
In many cases the Polo owners seems to be the worst and S8 owners is the more understanding one. In Sweden we now have to order the keys with the help of VIN, already cut from our Audi/VW importer, Takes a couple of days but you should have thought of that before you lost your LAST key, instead of makeing a copy of the existing one Grin.

SARGE
How easy is it if you need a key to an older car in the states, up to 95'?  Do you have axcess to an existing code or do you sell new locks right on? I would say in our case it's almost impossible to get the code to those.

Nowdays, we don't get involved with helping those who've lost all their keys on pre '99 model cars... we send them to the locksmith. Grin  In the old days, we had a code book that corresponded to the lock number stamped on the door handle or the ignition lock and a squeeze cutter to make keys (extremely easy to screw up).  I don't miss that a bit!

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 00:53:20 am »

Nowdays, we don't get involved with helping those who've lost all their keys on pre '99 model cars... we send them to the locksmith. Grin  In the old days, we had a code book that corresponded to the lock number stamped on the door handle or the ignition lock and a squeeze cutter to make keys (extremely easy to screw up).  I don't miss that a bit!
[/quote]

Hey uh... Sarge you guys have a key for my Bug?  Grin
Sarge

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 01:38:48 am »

Next time I see you, remind my about it and we'll try my key.... I bet it works Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 01:42:21 am »

even in a non RED '67?  Roll Eyes
Jim Ratto

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 01:59:57 am »

Sarge, sheep wants to order your back door key. Got those?
Neil Davies

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:44 am »

Next time I see you, remind my about it and we'll try my key.... I bet it works Grin

My old '67 door handle could be opened with any key - my front door key for one! I also used a teaspoon once, and I have even used the arm of my sunglasses... Glad I got a new handle a while back! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Sarge

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 14:30:44 pm »

Sarge, sheep wants to order your back door key. Got those?

I don't like the sound of that.... Roll Eyes Grin

My old '67 door handle could be opened with any key - my front door key for one! I also used a teaspoon once, and I have even used the arm of my sunglasses... Glad I got a new handle a while back! Cheesy

Hahaha!  In the late '80's, I was lucky enough to snag the last OEM ignition switch VOA had to offer.  I never paid any attention to the new key profile.... just installed the switch and added the key to the other two on the key ring.  One day, to my amazement, I found that my old original key turned the new switch Shocked.  Always fun to get the last of something... nowadays, I spend time looking through the old paper parts catalog I salvaged out of the dumpster years ago for treasure but the pickin's are getting slimmer by the minute. Sad

DKP III
Donny B.

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 16:36:21 pm »

I spend time looking through the old paper parts catalog I salvaged out of the dumpster years ago for treasure but the pickin's are getting slimmer by the minute.

By any chance did you managed to get a copy of Progressive Refinements Sarge?  Those are pretty cool to look through.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 17:12:32 pm »

Amongst my ton of old dealer manuals, parts books, bulletins, etc, I have a complete key code book for older air-cooled models, giving the codes and what that means in terms of the profile and dimensions of the key... Pretty interesting (but very boring reading...).  Cool

Did you know that back in the 1960s, the same key would fit one in every 64 Bugs?  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Bugsy

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 17:46:39 pm »

Its' sad when the parts disappear from the shelf but it feels god to get the last one. I got the last key to my 62', ordered with keycode.
And the weatherstrip for the decklid to my 66' was the last one too from the Swedish importer  Wink.
lawrence

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 21:32:33 pm »

It's bad enough that I am on the lounge during every free moment I get here at To#¤ta. If I worked at a VW dealer I would spend all my time loungin' and seaching musty books for NOS parts. "What, you need a key made? Be right with you sir." Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Sarge

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 23:11:09 pm »

If I worked at a VW dealer I would spend all my time loungin' and seaching musty books for NOS parts. "What, you need a key made? Be right with you sir." Grin

Around here you wouldn't.... Big Brother is ALWAYS watching Angry.  I've learned to listen for the creak of the boss's chair, the squeek of the front door, footsteps.... not good gettin' busted as there's always extra duty as pay-back. Sad  Now, let's see... if I was a '67 window crank, where would I be??

DKP III
Sam K

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:56 am »

This discussuion remind me of all those "treasure hunt" artilces from HotVW's back in the late eighties. I think the were written by Jeff Walters and they were basically stories about gong to old VW dealerships and raiding them for all the cool old parts they still had.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:16 am »

Those stories read like an average day for Sarge...  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2009, 14:06:39 pm »

This discussuion remind me of all those "treasure hunt" artilces from HotVW's back in the late eighties. I think the were written by Jeff Walters and they were basically stories about gong to old VW dealerships and raiding them for all the cool old parts they still had.

I remember reading some of those!  Nowadays there is no treasure. Only piles of power window regulators, 1.8t ignition coils, exchange turbochargers, plastic water flanges and the like....sigh.  Oh yeah, and lots of KEYS  Angry

Those stories read like an average day for Sarge...  Cheesy

What I want to know is... when do I get to the "average day" of sitting on the patio with a stogie and a nice Gin & Tonic?? Wink Cool

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2009, 14:12:50 pm »

What I want to know is... when do I get to the "average day" of sitting on the patio with a stogie and a nice Gin & Tonic?? Wink Cool

In your case Sarge, its gotta be almost here???   Shocked Cheesy

Respectfully!  (ducking)

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2009, 14:16:23 pm »

In your case Sarge, its gotta be almost here???   Shocked Cheesy

Respectfully!  (ducking)

Why I oughta..... Grin

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 02:13:57 am »

In your case Sarge, its gotta be almost here???   Shocked Cheesy

Respectfully!  (ducking)
                                                        Ducking and distance won't help you. Sarge is pretty handy with a mortar!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 03:24:59 am »

Ducking and distance won't help you. Sarge is pretty handy with a mortar!

Hang!

Fire!

BOOM!

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 03:58:07 am »

I thought I felt something...is that what that was???    Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print