The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 06:37:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351113 Posts in 28641 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Keith's new Book- Bob Moore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keith's new Book- Bob Moore  (Read 2142 times)
chris67bug

« on: January 27, 2009, 12:00:07 pm »

Was reading Keith's new book about a guy called Bob Moore in the original DKP who was killed in Vietnam. 

I remember years ago seeing a very touching news article about a family who had kept their son's bug long after he died over there.  I just wondered if it was Bob's bug I'd seen.  The bug was orange if I remember rightly and was definitely 'customised' which surprised me at the time as I never knew that people 'customised' bugs in the 60's!!! 

I checked the list of casualities for California and a 'Robert Ned Moore' from Anaheim is listed, probabley the same guy??

chris

There’s nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines. That’ll give you a set of emotions that’ll stay with you. Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent.

– G.T.O. Two Lane Blacktop
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »

Thanks for that, Chris. I wonder if Sarge or another of the originals will know?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 13:24:25 pm »

Thanks for that, Chris. I wonder if Sarge or another of the originals will know?

Stories like that are pretty heart breaking, in fact I once bought a car in similar circumstances; a young guy (about the age of me when I bought it) had been killed motorcycling and had just finished restoring a Mk.1 triumph spitfire. The guys mum & dad had held on to his car under cover since his death for 10+ years when I happened across it and the (by then pretty elderly) couple decided they'd like to move it on.

Sad

Sarge

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 14:15:09 pm »

I never got to know Bob Moore.  My wife grew up across the street from him, though and knew him as a free spirited, devil-may-care, fun loving guy.  The pic I've posted is from the DKP Reunion... you can see four guys who sadly didn't make the event.  When I asked Sharon about Bob this morning, oddly enough she remarked that he was a whole lot like Bill Swanson.  Bill had a beautiful metallic gray bug which he sold for a Harley.  One day he laid it down in Carbon Canyon.  Rest in peace. Cry

DKP III
chris67bug

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 14:50:39 pm »

Keith, Sarge- thanks for taking the time to reply.  I saw that news clip some years ago, so unfortunately can't remember who the person was who owned the bug- knew it was a bit of a long shot that it might have been Bob's!!

Also Sarge, thanks for posting up the letter- it is very moving to read.

chris

There’s nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines. That’ll give you a set of emotions that’ll stay with you. Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent.

– G.T.O. Two Lane Blacktop
IP359

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 15:36:47 pm »

Very special post.
But thanks to share.
It's hard to imagine that young guys died for theirs countries.
I watched yesterday night a TV program about The Pacific War in 41 between US and Japan.
Very interesting to see these first coloured images but some images are hard to see.
War is not clean.
RIP for all these guys.
You can see a extract of this program here :
<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x26fny" target="_blank">http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x26fny</a>

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: