The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:23:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Where do you see Cal-look in ten years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where do you see Cal-look in ten years?  (Read 9276 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« on: August 09, 2006, 12:25:19 pm »

Will all have gone back to stock cars or will we be using hi tech solutions in our lookers?
Look where we was ten years ago!

What do you think? 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
pre-cal

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:16:24 am »

I will be staying in the 70s timebubble. Once you´ve built your car, keep it as is or move on to another project, but NEVER change it!!!!
Just put it under a dustcover and take it out for a spin once in a while, or just put it into hibernation.
Styles will change and you might move onto other projects, but California Look as we know it, will never change.
The only ting that will change is the source of parts and project cars. Enthusiasts that come after us, will probably be rebuilding newer models to get that old look.
Sounds horrible, but that might just be the case:((.
PC
Georg/DFL

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 19:41:18 pm »

I am with you, PC! My Ghia will stay that way it looks today. There will be technical change, but from the overall appearance it will look like back in 2006.  Wink And I hope most people will do it that way.

A few years ago my friend and club member Tobi wanted to respray his fantastic cherry red Oval. I told him not to do it, because so many people know that car through all the magazine features in VW Speed, Volksworld, Super VW, Käfer Revue and it would be a shame to erase the cars history – or it's at least harder to recognize. In the end he left it cherry red, because we made a deal... Grin And I am sure today he is happy that he didn't change the color.

Look at Dave Rhoads '64! It's such a cool car because it is a true refugee from the 70s, unchanged since than. Maybe in ten or twenty years time people will say: "Look at this car, it's the old car from (insert your name), it's a true 90s Cal Look car.  Smiley

To stay with PC: If you want to follow a new trend or just build a new project – take another car and leave your Looker as is!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 17:38:48 pm »

I will be staying in the 70s timebubble.
PC

Mee too brother! I like cars built with state of the art 1976 techology! Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 18:21:42 pm »

We all gather at organized sunday morning meetings, parking our cars straight and between the white lines in a pre booked parking lot, looking at each others cars that has not changed in years and now and then a new kid drops a bomb with all those ohhhhhh so sought after aftermarket parts compiled on one car and we droool while slowly walking by. Cars are not anymore valued by there timeslips or how mouch the front wheels are yanked of the ground on take off, more based on how mouch they are worth in money.....................naaaaaaa then again I sincerly hope we have fun and gladly enjoys the timeless look of the near perfect cars of 70's rage and goes sideway out of the parking lot when heading home at midnight speed shifting in to the night!! Timeless cars and careless drivers!!!!!
richie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 19:18:39 pm »

Look at Dave Rhoads '64! It's such a cool car because it is a true refugee from the 70s, unchanged since than. Maybe in ten or twenty years time people will say: "Look at this car, it's the old car from (insert your name), it's a true 90s Cal Look car.  Smiley

Sorry to disapoint you georg but it changed last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to wash it Cheesy

5 years of dust looked bad,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Ole

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 21:10:39 pm »

My Ghia will stay that way it looks today.

Does that mean without engine on a trailer?

Grin Grin Grin

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:03:36 am »

I think that many people who think that Cal Look would be a fashion will change the style of their cars sooner or later. In germany I have heard of some people that they are already bored by "The Look". Some of them are going to change the style of their cars to some kind of "german folks style" which - in my opinion, will be the next big fashion in europe.
For me personally Cal look is absolutely no fashion but more of a lifestyle (sounds stupid but that´s how I feel about it). When I bought my oval 8 years ago I was fascinated by the resto style which was slowly becoming popular in germany...until one day in the year 2000 I met some strange guys from a club called "Der Fieser Luftkühlers" who showed me the "Bible" of  KS. The very next day I ordered it at amazon and comletely read it in one evening. From that day on I didn´t care about roofracks etc. anymore. I was amazed to read about the history of clubs which where formed long before I was even born. I´m still fascinated by those cars which were running extremely fast ETs on tzhe quartermile - ETs which I´m still dreaming to achieve today! Cheesy
Those pics in the books formed a picture in my brain of how a period "Looker" would have to look like and I´ve tried to replicate it as good as possible without abandoning personal details. I think that more and more people will try to build Lookers the way those cars looked back in the old days whereas in recent years most people seemingly favoured what I would call 90s cal look: cars with complete trim, interior etc.
When looking at the cars at the last DAS Drag Day in Bitburg this development was clearly visible. I saw way more traditionally built cars than at any of the drag days of recent years...
Georg/DFL

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 22:06:17 pm »

My Ghia will stay that way it looks today.

Does that mean without engine on a trailer?

Grin Grin Grin

Shut the f#§* up, Ole!  Smiley

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 17:33:23 pm »

Well it's been 10 years plus. Where has the California Look scene changed and where have things remained the same?
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 20:27:11 pm »

I like that some cars brought new and innovative solutions (especially for racing) but some other cars stayed the same Smiley And I like to see cars built exactly and perfectly such as 60s cars, some other as 70s cars, some other as 80s cars, 90s cars...

The pure genious of an air-cooled VW is its simple technology and I love that Cal-Look keeps this simplicity and enhances it.

volkskris

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 21:40:29 pm »

Is it me, or has dechroming become more popular again the last 10 years?
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 07:39:50 am »

Is it me, or has dechroming become more popular again the last 10 years?

Don't know. But turboing your cal looker has..  Cool

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 08:20:17 am »

The amount of horsepower has increased for 10 years, that is for sure. But I like that the look (all variations of it) kind of remain the same.

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: