The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 18:51:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351083 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  So I accidentally bought a Notchback...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So I accidentally bought a Notchback...  (Read 3745 times)
Sam K

« on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:18 am »

My good friend Brian recnetly decide to sell this '64 Notch as he was moving to a place with no garage and had lost interest in it anyway. I don't know  a lot about type 3's but I know it's a '64 1500 S. Another friend (who also owned a '68 ex DKP car built originally by Mike Dunphee) brought the notch out from California several years ago. He then sold it to another friend who rebuilt the engine (a nice little 1776 with dual 40 IDF's), cleaned it up and drove it around for a year or so before seling it. At that point it disappeared from the grid for a while until I came across it on a local Subaru forum about three years ago. I pointed it out to Brian and he bought it. Brian drove it daily (when it ran) for about a year or so until it failed him for the final time by blowing out a spark plug. He bought a WRX and although he eventually fixed the Notch, it hadn't been driven for about a year and a half. He was going to paint it at one point, but after partially stripping it, he lost interest.

Brain knew that I had always liked the car and he didnt' want to put forth the effort to sell it, so he just kept making me a better deal until I gave in and bought it. I figure it's my trun to own it anyway. Last thursday, he and I put the glass back in it, put all the lights back on, put a battery in it and fired it up. It made the 30 mile drive from his place to my shop surprisingly well. I don't need the car and don't reaaly have room for it, though, so I'm probably going to just re-do the flat black paint, clean it up and get it running and looking as well as possible and sell it. Who knows, though, by the time I'm done I may just wind up keeping it. It wouldn't be the first time.  Smiley

Here it is in Brains garage.....

and here it is out in the sun for the first time in a long while.

This is what it looked like when Brian first bought it.

So far, I've raised it up to a more respectable height and cleaned it up a bit. I love the wheels. I got them off a 914 at a junkyard years ago and gave them to Brian when he got the Notch. I'll post more picture as it progresses.
ian c

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:47:30 am »

kewl .
are you gonna accidently drop a big engine in it ??
 Grin

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Sam K

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:07:31 am »

It's a possibility. In addition to the 2332 in '67, I have collected all the parts for another mean 2332. I've been planning on making my '63/'73 into a drag car but the Notch would be cooler.
ian c

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:21:57 am »

i think i remember being told about a notch drag project for sale ?
maybe had a ghia dash grafted in ??

but could be completely wrong  Roll Eyes

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:04:14 am »

hey it doesn't look like it is a 64, but more a 65 model with a later pan or at least later (66 onwards) discs and drums.
but there are still the popouts and other parts.
so it could turn out a nice project. good luck
Sam K

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 15:02:01 pm »

I wondered about the pan. It also has two big fuel lines but is still swingaxle so I thought it might be a '68 pan.
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:25:40 am »

I wondered about the pan. It also has two big fuel lines but is still swingaxle so I thought it might be a '68 pan.

from 68 all american type3's had indeed EFI if i am correct. what does the chasis number say? or is that changed as well? and on a 64 you have two knobs next to the handbrake for the hot air. on a 68 that were cables that come out off the same hole as the handbrake itself.

if i can help in any way, please feel free to mail me.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: