The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:46:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  a few mods + PAINT!!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: a few mods + PAINT!!!!!!  (Read 11692 times)
whirligig

« on: November 23, 2015, 22:18:29 pm »

So the Whirligig is in my unit, time to do a few winter mods and prep for paint. Those that know its been waiting to be finish for 2 winters. Plan is to make rear wings/valance /inner wings quick removable. Some aerodynamic aids after some sketchy 90+top end wobbles (rear wing??) and some fancy bits. Making a start Wednesday on my day off, piccis when I have worked out how to on this site as not found a how to.

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
whirligig

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 14:40:39 pm »

rear end all dzused up, stripped out and body loose on pan. Just waiting to get organised to mount on body frame and get the rear roof gutter section repaired. Bum internet connection is so slow cant get photos onto photo bucket, we have a line/connection fault so will be bollocking BT again for the third time, phone not working properly as well!!!!!

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 15:40:49 pm »

rear end all dzused up, stripped out and body loose on pan. Just waiting to get organised to mount on body frame and get the rear roof gutter section repaired. Bum internet connection is so slow cant get photos onto photo bucket, we have a line/connection fault so will be bollocking BT again for the third time, phone not working properly as well!!!!!

Nice to hear your getting on with it! If you need any help uploading pictures you can email me a few and I'll host & post for you rennwagens@live.co.uk

Look forward to seeing it out again in 2016.

whirligig

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 17:48:20 pm »

Internet and phone fixed. broken wire at pole !!!!!!!!! random /rota day off today so sorted bump steer out. Inner rose joints to high on polo steering rack, set track rods level with beam as top arms are horizontal (lowered and drop spindels) and no noticeable movement when suspension moved up and down(did before!!!) Body has had the gutter ect welded and will be of to Pete's at Napstok on the 31st for paint. Slight problem as cant have any hols till the end of March as not allowed to take any as Halfords Autocentres think we will be busy due to new reg time. Recon might only have 6days to reassemble so a few late nights coming up.

whirligig

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 16:02:19 pm »

lets see if the photos download.http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/twobugs/017_zpsevcfqt9m.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/twobugs/013_zpsqquhttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/twobugs/012_zpsyrbzbcgc.jpgxgqfu.jpg

whirligig

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 16:13:04 pm »

lets have another go.[imghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/twobugs/002_zps8laflojq.jpg][/img]

whirligig

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 16:22:52 pm »

supost to have anti shake still you can see the Napstok 2inch narrowed beam, shock towers and polo rack conversion. Front wings now vented with sections from engine lid to look "factory" , curve is almost spot on.

whirligig

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 18:34:10 pm »

taken the shell , wings ect to Petes , got a day off on Wednesday so on flatting duty.

thehanz DVK

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »

like those vents in the wing ...
intresting front beam with that polo rack, is there a euro version also with everything in the right place  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
broen messiaen

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 21:41:27 pm »

like those vents in the wing ...
intresting front beam with that polo rack, is there a euro version also with everything in the right place  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

yes there is, I have it.
bought the bracket from Alex on here.
whirligig

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 16:19:36 pm »

but we made it before he posted on here--------3years ago now, case of great minds and all that?Huh beauty is the pinion angle is the same as the steering box so it needs no column mods. Went down to Petes this morning and cleaned off 3 years of race crud from the primer . Great fun lay on my back rubbing of oily residue from the under side of the rear luggage area. Day  off next week so more rubbing as it should be in the paint booth by then.
  Forgot to say rack mounting available from NAPSTOK CUSTOMS to order for RHD, you just need the rack and polo lower column and maybe the track rods if you want rubber inner joints.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 16:30:02 pm by whirligig » Logged

whirligig

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 14:05:35 pm »

At last got the Whirligig back in my unit, was suppose to be painted end of Feb !!!! Not happy with the quality either as it looks like its been rushed to paint and marks from poorly flatted primer show and reaction/marks in base coat on bonnet. TBH looked better when I painted it myself in my dirt/dust unit with a small gun. End of the day its a race car not a show car and its one colour and shiny.  Will take photos as I build it back up but was going for a photo shoot 2 weekends time but if I didn't have to work and could spend all my time on it still wouldn't be ready

whirligig

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 14:59:56 pm »

So not a lot has happened, let down by a painter who said he would do it but the refused to answer the phone. daughter pregnant anyway so that put a hold on things, baby Jack came in early Sept so back on it. Back on the trailer waiting to go to painters for a quote. Want to see if we can get in Volksworld show . Watch this space------

whirligig

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 11:23:46 am »

had a day off last week so took whirligig to the painters (jim smith uses him) for a quote and left it there , hope its ready by the end of Jan as that wont leave me much time to assemble. Need to find Moroso rev counter , dropped it fitting it back in my race car and bent bezel, or some other 70s style 5inch pod one but needs to be accurate although she said she don't look at it!!

Jim Smith

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 20:54:22 pm »

What body shop have you taken it to?

www.cotsweld.co.uk      Race car fab   01242 232084
Dead Dog

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 20:40:13 pm »

should have gave me a shout  Smiley

VWDRC PRO 102 - 11.85 @ 107mph
T1 1914 omex 600 t3/4 turbo

WRP Paint & Restoration - VWDRC Sponsor 2012 & 2013
whirligig

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 13:41:17 pm »

back from paint in the unit last Sunday, NOW the big push to get ready for Volksworld show. Now have better tec , new phone and computer so will try and post build up shots. Volksworld show , does this meen I have to buy big box of cotton buds for cleaning? Its a race car dam it!!!!!

whirligig

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 14:44:08 pm »

Nearly back together, just need to upload to facebucket to get them on here (ball ache) anyway waiting to hear from Volksworld to see if we are in the show. One prob drivers door changes colour partway down and no time to sort, of work today as put my back out fitting one piece acrylic windows to doors. Must have twisted when pulling through tight seals. Made full length inner seal from 2 inners cut and joined with spring clips.

whirligig

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 15:21:51 pm »

lets see if this works[imghttp://][/img]

whirligig

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 15:38:21 pm »

that worked well!!!!!!try athpmf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]gain[IMG]gave up anymore as p/bucket doin my head in

Neil Davies

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 07:34:34 am »

That's looking better! It's amazing how a splash of colour makes a car look so much more complete, even if it's nowhere near! With the door changing colour,  can you have the car name stickered on it so it hides the change?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
whirligig

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 23:11:54 pm »

Well Holly says she wont have it sign written now (shame) , its her car and cant make her. Good news is its in Volksworldshow as got confirmation this morning. Just door cards, headlamp covers and a bloody good clean then. Also need to fit new trailer lights and fix arches.Maybe a show stand for engine lid to show motor off and a bonnet prop. Annoyed though as the best glass screen I have is scratched and the second hand plastic window are a bit scuffed , still the show card will say ITS A RACE CAR DONT IT and its a restricted budget build.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: