The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:31:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350867 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Bubblegum Day...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bubblegum Day...  (Read 2670 times)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« on: February 15, 2009, 08:08:44 am »

Just got home from a little road trip today, had some time to myself, and happened to remember a very fond memory from my youth... My earliest first hand exposure to a modified VW.

I grew up in an average neighborhood in So. Cal. where the streets were safe, and parents would not think twice about letting their kids go out and ride bikes, play games, or just hang out with the other neighborhood kids.

Well, around the corner from me lived Mr. Reynolds, AKA "The Bubblegum Man". Mr Reynolds was a married, middle aged, average guy, that every Saturday- rain or shine, would be out in his garage tinkering with his VW... Saturday was also known to the neighborhood as bubblegum day... Mr Reynolds would give us kids all the bubblegum we wanted. No, this guy was not a perv... he was just a cool guy who liked kids.

Now, the VW connection... Mr Reynolds had a super clean '58 or '59 Bug that was 356 Porsche powered! I remember it well, it even had a single 356 "grille" cut in the decklid, full gauges, racing seatbelts, and silver Porsche rims with nipple hubcaps... all this back in 1965 or so! I wish I had a picture!!

Anyway, I remained friends with Mr. Reynolds for several years until he moved around 1972 or so, and took his VW with him...

I can't help but wonder what ever happened to him (and the car!)

Good memories from a much simpler time...

~DR.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:52:00 am »

Nice little story Dave.

And you are right, 60's and 70's looked to be much simpler time. When little things still could make people happy.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:11:18 am »

Right on, Dave... that's a cool story. Great memories, I'm sure.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:31:45 am »

Slightly off topic, but I have an original 1960's Ed Roth "Rat Fink" gumball machuine I keep in my garage.
Kinda also serves as a "piggy bank"
 Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: