The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 14:08:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Type 3 rear drums/porsche PCD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Type 3 rear drums/porsche PCD  (Read 10380 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 13:35:58 pm »

Alot of cars with rear discs have a small drum type set up INSIDE the disc its self 

Yep! That's how my Volvo estate is equipped. Great engineering, right there.

Off topic but I have to reply.. Great engineering? Consider this, there is a small alublock holding the shoes inside that little Volvo drum. This has tendency to break and what will happen then? The shoes will break loose and turn around and destroy everything inside there. Cost for repair you might ask - around $ 5000. Why? Because you have to change the whole spindle, break shoes both sides, cable, wheel bearing (very expensive) and do a 4 wheel allignement. Only a Swede can come up with such a stupid patent!

Best rgs
BB

That sounds like the bitter voice of experience! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 14:26:47 pm »

Off topic but I have to reply.. Great engineering? Consider this, there is a small alublock holding the shoes inside that little Volvo drum. This has tendency to break and what will happen then? The shoes will break loose and turn around and destroy everything inside there. Cost for repair you might ask - around $ 5000. Why? Because you have to change the whole spindle, break shoes both sides, cable, wheel bearing (very expensive) and do a 4 wheel allignement. Only a Swede can come up with such a stupid patent!

Wow... I've been driving 200 series Volvos for twenty years and not just in normal mode. They get driven hard. Even after all of my abuse, the cars are built like tanks. But more importantly, I punish the emergency brakes a lot. Ask anyone that's driven with me. When it rains, the road is my playground and I tend to spin 360šs. The only e-brake that's ever given me problems were my two previous '66 sedans.

Sorry to hear that you experienced those problems, B.B. Sounds rather nasty and very expensive. If that ever happened to me, I'd feel the same way. I just thought the overall design was a good idea when I bought my first Volvo in 1989.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 14:37:02 pm »

Wow... I've been driving 200 series Volvos for twenty years and not just in normal mode. They get driven hard. Even after all of my abuse, the cars are built like tanks. But more importantly, I punish the emergency brakes a lot. Ask anyone that's driven with me. When it rains, the road is my playground and I tend to spin 360šs. The only e-brake that's ever given me problems were my two previous '66 sedans.

Sorry to hear that you experienced those problems, B.B. Sounds rather nasty and very expensive. If that ever happened to me, I'd feel the same way. I just thought the overall design was a good idea when I bought my first Volvo in 1989.

One last Volvo related answer before we go back to topic.

Car is a Volvo V70 D5 - 2005. 52 000 miles on the meter. If it was not for the fact that I managed to get the parts needed via a friend working for Volvo (thanks Rune) they would have charged me 32 000,- NOK = $ 4 800. The rate include the parts, work hours, tax and VERY bad service from the local Volvo garage. I learned my lesson and will not use the e-brake again.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 01:34:33 am »

I completely understand, B.B. Sorry to hear of your negative experience regarding that.

Sorry for the repost, but I'm curious about these items:

Okay... it's brake question(s) time. If my theory is correct (PLEASE don't be shy correcting me), my late model '67 Beetle, w/wide rear axles) should accept Type 3 drums without lathing on the centers, yes?

What about using Thing front and rear drums/wheel cylinders/backing plates/shoes on a late '67? Reason: wide five lug pattern. Also, are there any of the wide five Type 2 drums that will work on my car? If I remember correctly, Bus brakes were wide five till '71 or somewhere back then.

As you can see, I'm trying to upgrade my brakes on a very cheap budget. I'd like to do it before I get my engine/transmission built. Any positive suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: