The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 17:55:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  fuel smell and ida's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: fuel smell and ida's  (Read 3475 times)
wolfswest

« on: March 02, 2009, 13:41:12 pm »

I have the problem that when I park my car I have a huge smells of gasoline IN and outside the car.  I'm used to it by now but is their a way to fix this?  I have IDA's with no airfilters...

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
lawrence

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 17:29:11 pm »

I have the same problem with my car and I think it is caused by the float bowl vents and the fuel vapor the stays in the carbs when the engine is shut off. I sprayed some Hilti expansion foam at the opening of the two channels that lead through the roof and on the inner quarters behind the panels. It helped out quite a bit with reduction of smell and sound. Sometimes I put the stack covers on right away if I roll up the windows and shut the car for a while after driving.

I am curious to hear what others have done.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 18:43:35 pm »

...same problem but no solution yet (running 40 idf with airfilters)...I wouldn´t use any kind of "foam" because it "attracts" humidy and the two channels will start to rust from the inside out. As far as I know there where some kind of small "sacs" that where put in those channels by the VW factory in the ovals...is that true? Are those parts not still available?

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 18:55:26 pm »

The climate I live in is not humid so there shouldn't be a problem with rust. Yes, ovals came with triangular shaped pads, made of headliner that was stuffed with jute pad, that went up in the channels, but no one reproduces them. They should not be hard to make. I think there was a how-to thread on thesamba oval forum covering the triangle pads.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Brian Silva

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 19:03:01 pm »

I believe all models had the bags tucked up the openings in the firewall. I know my 67' has them for sure as well as many other vw's i have owned (beetles only). I will try and get some pics for you. I will try and remove them to get some dimensions for you guys if they aren't tucked too far.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 19:08:52 pm »

nervous nillies here at work always come to my desk after I drive and park car here, "Jim! Jim! your car's gonna blow up! I semlled gas pouring out of your car!!!"  Roll Eyes

Even with stack covers 48IDAs are ging to stink, out of the float bowl vent (jet screen over jet wells)... on a hot motor, the carbs "cook" the vapors up and out of the carbs. Only thing you can do in fab up airboxes that seal to top of carbs and vent back to fuel tank or a charcoal canister.

Just don't smoke around your heat soaking motor.  Shocked

nicolas

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 21:16:43 pm »

i have a bit the same problem with the fastback. i have the smell as well and it is a bit annoying for passengers (wife, kid,...) so i have bought a set off isolator (spelling)pads that fit under the carbs to prevent the heat to cook the fuel out off the carbs. haven't tested it so far as i didn't drive the car much last week, but i hope it helps. i have the type engine cover and blocked heaterchannels and the smell still gets in. it always is the worst when you open the door in the morning.
wolfswest

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 22:31:17 pm »

Nicolas,

let me know if it works. 

Lawrence,  Do you have a picture of where you put the foam?  I don't have a clue...  Huh

thx guys

Dem

guillaume

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 23:43:39 pm »

i have a bit the same problem with the fastback. i have the smell as well and it is a bit annoying for passengers (wife, kid,...) so i have bought a set off isolator (spelling)pads that fit under the carbs to prevent the heat to cook the fuel out off the carbs. haven't tested it so far as i didn't drive the car much last week, but i hope it helps. i have the type engine cover and blocked heaterchannels and the smell still gets in. it always is the worst when you open the door in the morning.

Nicolas, where did you found those "isolators" ? I am looking for a set for my IDA carbs too.
Thanks for your help
lawrence

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 00:20:54 am »

I dont have pictures, but when I get a chance I will take some and post them.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Hotrodvw

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 07:27:51 am »

Hmmm............my DRLA's don't have this issue.   Cheesy

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:50:35 am »

Hey Dem, I know the cushions Lawrence is talking about, must not be too hard to find out where to shove these. It is in the right and left upper corner of the engine compartment, where the roofline (you know the round channel where the interior light sits in) meets the engine. On a car like yours I believe VW foamed it out of the factory, causes a lot of rust behind the ears. We'll have a look in Ninove next week.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
wolfswest

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:28 am »

Hey Dem, I know the cushions Lawrence is talking about, must not be too hard to find out where to shove these. It is in the right and left upper corner of the engine compartment, where the roofline (you know the round channel where the interior light sits in) meets the engine. On a car like yours I believe VW foamed it out of the factory, causes a lot of rust behind the ears. We'll have a look in Ninove next week.

I will have a look this evening, but I never removed these "cushions" myself so I guess they are still located in the tunnels...  I will not be able to get to ninove with my bug, but I guess we can find a bug there with ears...  Grin

alex d

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 14:47:39 pm »

my car still has those cushions and I don't get fuel smell inside the cabin (mind you that's with IDFs), outside is another story (specially when fuel pressure is too high and carbs flood  Grin )
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: