The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:07:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Porsche-style upholstery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Porsche-style upholstery  (Read 7207 times)
Stephan S

« on: March 10, 2009, 00:42:19 am »

Went to a couple of Porsche events last weekend and saw this...
I'm surprised that this type of upholstery (typical of early 911 Porsches) hasn't really been popular with Cal Look owners...
You guys like it?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:02:53 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 00:44:48 am »

Hmmm very interesting - I have been looking around and I've taken a liking to the "plaid" from Mk1 Golf/Rabbits  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 00:55:18 am »

I'm surprised that this type of upholstery (typical of early Porsches) hasn't really been popular with Cal Look owners...
You guys like it?
I'm surprised that this type of upholstery (typical of early Porsches) hasn't really been popular with Cal Look owners?...
 IT Has your just to Young to Remember LMAO this is my 67 Cal Look 28 years ago Grin Grin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 00:59:10 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Stephan S

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:12 am »

I'm surprised that this type of upholstery (typical of early Porsches) hasn't really been popular with Cal Look owners...
You guys like it?
 IT Has your just to Young to Remember LMAO

Shubee, look again at the picture I posted, please. I'm talking about this specific style of pattern.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:58 am »

You guys like it?

Shubee, look again at the picture I posted, please. I'm talking about this specific style of pattern.

Yeah thats more like the plaid I was talking about Wink As for that Porsche style stuff I think they call it "Houndstooth" Undecided  Very COOL:)

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:19:25 am »

You guys like it?

Yeah thats more like the plaid I was talking about Wink As for that Porsche style stuff I think they call it "Houndstooth" Undecided  Very COOL:)
looks like a 69 Camaro insert

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:18:23 am »

Shubees right , Look back 30 years ago and look at stock early ghias. Very similar

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
pancho villa

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:46:21 am »

dont they call that hounds tooth, me like, me like alot.
2manytoys

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:43:02 am »

Stephan,

Do you have any information on the fabric. A website maybe. I like the green and black mix on there.

p-

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 04:53:59 am »

I don't feel that the pattern in Stephan's picture is plaid. To me, it looks closer to what we used to call houndstooth. Very popular during the late '60s as a factory option on many different cars.

Whatever the case... I really like it. If I wasn't so determined to make my current interior factory looking, I'd consider an insert pattern like that which would match the rest of the seat(s). Good stuff, Stephan. You're right; I can't believe more Cal Lookers are into that.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
youngnstudly

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:14:13 am »

You're right; I can't believe more Cal Lookers are into that.

Actually that's not true...I've discussed this with others on other forums and the Porsche pattern houndstooth is only available as NOS and due to this, it is not cheap. If other manufacters used this pattern (or similar) it might be wise to find some of that material for a lower price (unless they started reproducing this pattern). I am still looking for some Porsche material for my 70's build ghia though. Cool All the material I have found online is Porsche priced and way outta my budget! Sad

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Sam K

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 06:36:11 am »

I don't think it should be too hard to find houndstooth material. I just reupholstered the seats in my '68 Camaro with a factory style black and white houndstooth seatcover kit so somebody must reproduce it.
youngnstudly

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 17:58:31 pm »

I hope they do!  I'll have to check the muscle car parts' suppliers and see if I can find some by the yard. Thanks! -Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 18:00:23 pm »

Some of us are too young to remember those days and some are too old to remember how to spell but I sure love the pattern on that picture.  Thanks for sharing Stephan......... That would be a sweeeet look for a Notch!!!  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 18:15:39 pm »

"Some of us are too young to remember those days and some are too old to remember how to spell....."

sheeeeeeeeesh.... another old fart stab Shocked  Glad it's not me for a change Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 18:41:23 pm »

Give us five minutes and we'll think of something... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 18:48:34 pm »

Give us five minutes and we'll think of something... Grin

Shocked why you little.... Angry

DKP III
nicolas

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 19:52:22 pm »

That would be a sweeeet look for a Notch!!!  Cool

tell us more...  Grin

very nice for a upholstery btw. hasn't this been done before? i thought this would have been highly in vogue during the 70's. and in that fabric are probally 100's off different colour choices and combinations to be found.

jmarkha1

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 20:42:18 pm »

BMW used houndstooth for their 3 series cars - late 80s / early 90s.
Stephan S

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 00:10:30 am »

Some of us are too young to remember those days and some are too old to remember how to spell but I sure love the pattern on that picture.  Thanks for sharing Stephan......... That would be a sweeeet look for a Notch!!!  Cool
Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Cheesy
Do you have any information on the fabric. A website maybe. I like the green and black mix on there.
Sorry Pat, I don't...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 00:12:51 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Cornpanzer

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 03:48:58 am »

As I recall, houndstooth is the typical two-color check.  Usually seen in black/ivory, it is similar to early Camaro but distinctly different when used in early 911's.  The three-color check shown above is Pepita and there was several variations using reds, beiges, greens, etc.

I think that the sample shown above was from Tony at Autobahn Interiors somewhere around San Diego.

They also did some cool Tarten plaids in '73.  Check out this red interior from a car I shot for Excellence.  Cool stuff!  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
LuftsickTero

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 13:21:04 pm »

I have seen black/whit houndstooth pattern in 70's Bug's (Euro-version) seat covers which looked like originals and really nice..

Also like the psychedelic pepita Porsche had in late 70's/early 80's(?), there was a metallic green 928 in my neighborhood and really liked the interior.

http://www.sitzklinik.de
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 13:27:02 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 14:17:15 pm »

Dang, I totally forgot about the checkered patterns that Porsche did in the 924/928 cars from the '70s/'80s. Those would be a great option on a Cal Looker. But not for me... I'm Pig Pen and get any material that's white dirty in one day.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 16:06:27 pm »

I have seen black/whit houndstooth pattern in 70's Bug's (Euro-version) seat covers which looked like originals and really nice..

You can also find this kind of pattern in early golfs an sciroccos, it may be easier to find these old seats and take the material.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 16:09:44 pm by Nico86 » Logged

LuftsickTero

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 16:35:32 pm »

Getting away from the original topic, but cool patterns here too:

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: