The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:04:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Anyone up for some cars and coffee?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Anyone up for some cars and coffee?  (Read 10536 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 16:55:49 pm »

Just got back and that place is starting to really blow!

I had to sleep in, this morning due to a long/busy work week. Really wanted to attend C&C. So... aside from the gloomy and rather windy weather, how did it blow? Not as many cars?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
58vw

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 17:07:48 pm »

blow in a good way or bad way

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Sarge

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 17:17:25 pm »

You guys picked a bad weekend.... Sad  there's a HUGE car show today at the OC Fairgrounds.  I passed a nice '57 Chevy, a '37 Chevy, a nice old Dodge Pick-Up and a tubbed '67 396 Chevelle on the way to work this morning. Cool

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 22:25:22 pm »

Ah, that explains it. Thank you for that, Sarge. Hope to see you and the caped one tomorrow.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 22:58:26 pm »

Hope to see you and the caped one tomorrow.

Count on it.... I'll have my little bitch poor you up a nice brew (since I got him the free pass, he's promised to do EVERYTING I say... even the costume)Grin  Ever try any thing from here??.... http://www.greenflashbrew.com/   Right around the corner from where Carlsbad used to be... we helped Allen Wiess celebrate his birthday there a couple of weeks ago.  The Barleywine is 10% Shocked Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 23:00:19 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 05:18:56 am »

Right on... looking forward to tomorrow. Thanks for that link... never heard of that company before. Sounds like strong stuff.

~Sarge
sofaking

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 05:25:57 am »

Blow as in A-holes with cars with dealer ship plates still on there 100.00 + cars parking like asses. It just sucks that they roll in there and with plenty of parking just a row away they have to park like crap on the end of the isles and make it a bitch to get out of there. My god someone hand me a tissue for my tears! Cry Smiley Tongue

Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 05:37:38 am »

HUH? Paper license plates? Only 100 cars? That's NOT the C&C that I remember. When I was going there up until this last August, the place was packed nicely with way over 100 OLD/GOOD (sorry, but new ones bore the crap outta me) cars. All organized into different groups, too. Good crowd, great food in the cafeteria, and excellent tea or coffee. I shot some decent photos for their website, too. Hopefully, like Sarge posted, it was just a bad day due to the other car show(s) and gloomy weather.

~Sarge
sofaking

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 06:36:13 am »

OOpps I ment $100.000 + cars (benz,vipers,ect) I don't know just because you went down to your local dealership and wrote a check dosen't meen you have to be an asshole also. But I guess you can't have it al! Smiley I just have had some not so good times the last couple of times I've been that's all Cry Cheesy

Rennsurfer

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 07:55:13 am »

OOpps I ment $100.000 + cars (benz,vipers,ect)

Gotcha. Yeah... personally, if I had a brand new car, I'd leave at home and give it a rest during the weekends from it's daily driving duties. Then, take out a real (read: old) car and proceed to enjoy. I agree w/ya.

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 19:26:17 pm »

HUH? Paper license plates? Only 100 cars? That's NOT the C&C that I remember. When I was going there up until this last August, the place was packed nicely with way over 100 OLD/GOOD (sorry, but new ones bore the crap outta me) cars. All organized into different groups, too. Good crowd, great food in the cafeteria, and excellent tea or coffee. I shot some decent photos for their website, too. Hopefully, like Sarge posted, it was just a bad day due to the other car show(s) and gloomy weather.

The Goodguys show at the OC Fairgrounds was going on, but it didn't have any impact on C&C.  I left the house at 5am and entered the 405 off of Brookhurst.  The '57 300C has new tires and it was the test run.  I hit 90 by South Coast Plaza with virtually no traffic.  It is great to drive at that time of day as the only ones out there are the illegals going to work and me. Grin Grin  Stopped at Starbucks just a couple blocks away from C&C and parked at Ford about 5:45.  There are 472 parking slots so I've been told.  It was full and everyone is orderly and respectul of ALL rides.

For you guys that have never tried it you need to.  There is something there for everyone and I try to never miss it.

John L.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 19:31:15 pm »

PS - John's the one on the left in the photo, OK? He doesn't bite and responds well to requests that begin with the words "So tell me about the time when...". Just don't ask too many questions about Chryslers unless you have an hour or two to spare. And it's probably good etiquette not to bring up the subject of PT Cruisers… Cheesy

Keith, you not only look like a "Little Fleming", but your comments are "cutting" just like Ron's use to be.  Sorry Ron, but you have mellowed over the years.  Wink Wink

Actually my question time regarding the Chryslers has be reduced to only 45 minutes and Keith the last time they let you into the country (we really have to tighten up at our borders) wern't you driving a "PT Cruzer"Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 19:34:18 pm »

PS - John's the one on the left in the photo, OK? He doesn't bite and responds well to requests that begin with the words "So tell me about the time when...". Just don't ask too many questions about Chryslers unless you have an hour or two to spare. And it's probably good etiquette not to bring up the subject of PT Cruisers… Cheesy

Keith, you not only look like a "Little Fleming", but your comments are "cutting" just like Ron's use to be.  Sorry Ron, but you have mellowed over the years.  Wink Wink

Actually my question time regarding the Chryslers has be reduced to only 45 minutes and Keith the last time they let you into the country (we really have to tighten up at our borders) wern't you driving a "PT Cruzer"Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dang! You got me!  Grin Grin Grin Next time I'll try to rent a true American car, like a Lexus! Cheesy

PS - "Little Fleming"  Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 19:36:11 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 19:36:55 pm »

John, you've got great taste in eateries... North Woods Inn was a great place to hangout and eat/drink. I used to go to the one in Belmont Shore (Long Beach area) till is closed down.

Cool to hear that people from The Lounge go to C&C. I went there, a lot, last year in either my BMW E21 or my VW Beetle. I gotta get back in that groove. Those were some fun mornings and would often see old and new friends, there.

Ah, the Northwoods.  We use to frequent the Belmont location and were very sad when it closed and they tore it down.  Had something to do with the IRS.  We still do the La Mirada location occasionally.

An E21, well between the two rides you need to get back into the groove and show up at C&C Grin Grin.

John

johnl

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 19:39:37 pm »

Dang! You got me!  Grin Grin Grin Next time I'll try to rent a true American car, like a Lexus! Cheesy

PS - "Little Fleming"  Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin

Dang! You got me!  Grin Grin Grin Next time I'll try to rent a true American car, like a Lexus! Cheesy  Make sure you do just that or I'll bring the Mass with me to esplainnnnnn it to you.

John

PS:  Saw your dad yesteday and he is really slowing down.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 20:56:03 pm »

I read somwhere (else) that some guys with the older esoteric stuff (like ours) are getting really sick and tired of losing their parking spaces @ C & C to the 2008 Mercedes SL's rollin' on "dubs", slammed Roll Over Freelanders or the worst, the newest Audi's.... you know the Gallardo's, Murcielago's...etc. "Rollin phat".... puke. Anyway, the other guys (vintage Alfa guys.... yeah the wrecking yard hounds...hahaha HI CORNPANZER Grin) were going on about only cars 1975 and older allowed in.... or something like that.
If I wanted to go stroll around and look at $300K+ brand new cars I'll just go to the nearby dealers. In fact, took Lucas over to Auto Gallery on Saturday near Calabasas so we could get ignored. No, seriously, took him to see the new Alfa 8C... they've got a shiny black one in there... only $265K Roll Eyes.... beautiful car.
Last (and only time) I've been to C & C there were a fair share of newish Ferrari's, 'Vette's, etc... but not many. I think we had 4 Vw's there? Glenn Gaskey, DKK Fred, Carlos and mine. Lots of other cool stuff too... including a yellow 275GTB4!
There's always going to be assholes. I just think So Cal probably has the highest ratio of them per square foot.

Oh yeah Northwoods Inn... killer place, especially on a lazy, hot summer day. We'd go tot he one in Covina, you go in there and it's like a cave... order a big frosty Newcastle and a chili burger. Then another Newcastle, then another....   BURP
johnl

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 22:08:15 pm »

I read somwhere (else) that some guys with the older esoteric stuff (like ours) are getting really sick and tired of losing their parking spaces @ C & C to the 2008 Mercedes SL's rollin' on "dubs", slammed Roll Over Freelanders or the worst, the newest Audi's.... you know the Gallardo's, Murcielago's...etc. "Rollin phat".... puke. Anyway, the other guys (vintage Alfa guys.... yeah the wrecking yard hounds...hahaha HI CORNPANZER Grin) were going on about only cars 1975 and older allowed in.... or something like that.
If I wanted to go stroll around and look at $300K+ brand new cars I'll just go to the nearby dealers. In fact, took Lucas over to Auto Gallery on Saturday near Calabasas so we could get ignored. No, seriously, took him to see the new Alfa 8C... they've got a shiny black one in there... only $265K Roll Eyes.... beautiful car.
Last (and only time) I've been to C & C there were a fair share of newish Ferrari's, 'Vette's, etc... but not many. I think we had 4 Vw's there? Glenn Gaskey, DKK Fred, Carlos and mine. Lots of other cool stuff too... including a yellow 275GTB4!
There's always going to be assholes. I just think So Cal probably has the highest ratio of them per square foot.

Oh yeah Northwoods Inn... killer place, especially on a lazy, hot summer day. We'd go tot he one in Covina, you go in there and it's like a cave... order a big frosty Newcastle and a chili burger. Then another Newcastle, then another....   BURP

Guys, listen to me.  I get up early and arrive and ALWAYS have the same parking spot at C&C.  It's not the one up front where I want to be the big shot, but its the one I want.  I have some BMW buddies that arrive later and are tweaked because I didn't save them a spot.  Don't think its my responsibility.  I make the effort, so everyone else can do the same.  It is easy to lay in bed and snore, but I choose to live my life a different way.  God has blessed me with where I live and with my love of cars, so I take advantage each and every week.

Yes there are some jerks there, but there is always some of them anywhere one goes.  I ignore them and enjoy to the greatest degree the friends that I see every week with all kinds of cars.  Some of them I can' even tell you their names, but they always greet me with a smile and "Hi how are you doing"?

I do 2 Chrysler 300 International Club meets a year.  This means getting on a plane and doing a red eye to usually somewhere in the east.  I get very little sleep and they may be 30 cars there if I'm lucky.  Some of them are way below standard in my opinion, but that is beside the point.  I go to see my friends and meet new ones.  Yes I started going some 23 years ago because of the cars, but go back for the people.  It is expensive and comes out of my personal pocket, but it is the "experience" that makes it worth the cost and loss of sleep.

I appreciate all cars that are saved and even if it is not my personal taste I try to compliment the owner for his or her effort.  Also I move around the lot with several guys (mostly BMW people).  They know I own 2 BMW's but they didn't judge me by that, but by how I relate to them.  We share stories and have a great time.  I always drag them to any VW's that re there and they have learned a thing or two from me as I'v learned much from them.

For you doubters try it a couple of times and I think you will look at the big picture rather than the few bad seeds.

John

PS: I'm read for a Northwoods Run  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Jim Ratto

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009, 23:47:57 pm »

Guys, listen to me.  I get up early and arrive and ALWAYS have the same parking spot at C&C.  It's not the one up front where I want to be the big shot, but its the one I want.  I have some BMW buddies that arrive later and are tweaked because I didn't save them a spot.  Don't think its my responsibility.  I make the effort, so everyone else can do the same.  It is easy to lay in bed and snore, but I choose to live my life a different way.  God has blessed me with where I live and with my love of cars, so I take advantage each and every week.

Yes there are some jerks there, but there is always some of them anywhere one goes.  I ignore them and enjoy to the greatest degree the friends that I see every week with all kinds of cars.  Some of them I can' even tell you their names, but they always greet me with a smile and "Hi how are you doing"?

I do 2 Chrysler 300 International Club meets a year.  This means getting on a plane and doing a red eye to usually somewhere in the east.  I get very little sleep and they may be 30 cars there if I'm lucky.  Some of them are way below standard in my opinion, but that is beside the point.  I go to see my friends and meet new ones.  Yes I started going some 23 years ago because of the cars, but go back for the people.  It is expensive and comes out of my personal pocket, but it is the "experience" that makes it worth the cost and loss of sleep.

I appreciate all cars that are saved and even if it is not my personal taste I try to compliment the owner for his or her effort.  Also I move around the lot with several guys (mostly BMW people).  They know I own 2 BMW's but they didn't judge me by that, but by how I relate to them.  We share stories and have a great time.  I always drag them to any VW's that re there and they have learned a thing or two from me as I'v learned much from them.

For you doubters try it a couple of times and I think you will look at the big picture rather than the few bad seeds.

John

Hey John, sorry to get off topic, I know you have an E39 M5, where did I see you in it? Somewhere last year... nice car. Real Autobahn burner...

What is your other Bimmer?
When I was a late teen/early 20-something, living at my parents' still, there was a gorgeous blonde that lived up the hill from us, maybe a year younger than me.... anyway, she drove this HOT red 2002tii.... she'd drive by my place and throw a rev if I was out front. Never caught up w/ her, but always loved tii's since then.  Roll Eyes

Rennsurfer

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 00:07:46 am »

Cool, John... sounds like a plan. I'm going to try to make the C&C event on Saturdays, again. If you bring a Bimmer there, I'm sure that I've taken pics of your car. I post on the C&C site under "Rennsurfer." I haven't talked to you since Keith's book signing bash at Doug's house. Would be nice to meet up at C&C. Hope to see a you and a few Loungers there, soon.

~Sarge
Dustin

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 01:21:31 am »

I slept in last Saturday but plan on making it this week. See you there John.

The thing I like most about CNC is the eclectic mix of cars. I can park my bug next to a 6 (or 7) figure sports car and we both will get compliments, sometimes from the same people! The last time I was there, I wasn't late but it was packed because a HUGE Acura NSX club showed up. These are practically daily drivers around OC and I had to park right in the middle of them, but as soon as I got out of my car, a NSX guy came over and complimented my bug and waited to see the motor! What we So cal locals don't appreciate is that most people will never see most of those cars other than in a magazine. They wont get a close up view of the detail, design and style that goes into some of those cars that we may never afford! I don't pay much attention to the owners of those cars but the cars themselves.

I just love cars!!!! PERIOD!!!

OK... I'm done!............ Next...

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
johnl

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 15:38:03 pm »

John

Hey John, sorry to get off topic, I know you have an E39 M5, where did I see you in it? Somewhere last year... nice car. Real Autobahn burner...

When I was a late teen/early 20-something, living at my parents' still, there was a gorgeous blonde that lived up the hill from us, maybe a year younger than me.... anyway, she drove this HOT red 2002tii.... she'd drive by my place and throw a rev if I was out front. Never caught up w/ her, but always loved tii's since then.  Roll Eyes

Jim,  you saw the E39 M5 at Edmiston's.  That car currently has just over 40K.  Don't drive it all that much, but it is fun to put your foot in it with 400HP and go through the 6 gears.   We drove it to the Drags at Irwindale on Sunday.

The second car is Christie's E46 323ci.  We ordered that car and took delivery in October of 1999, but it is a 2000 model.  It is also siver with red leather, sport and premium packages and the HK sound system.  Currently that car has about 68K on it and is still mint.

We've owned 10 BMW's including the two mentioned over the years.  Either 6 cylinders (my favorite) and a couple of V8's, but never a 4 banger.

johnl

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 15:43:38 pm »

John

Jim,  you saw the E39 M5 at Edmiston's.  That car currently has just over 40K.  Don't drive it all that much, but it is fun to put your foot in it with 400HP and go through the 6 gears.   We drove it to the Drags at Irwindale on Sunday.

The second car is Christie's E46 323ci.  We ordered that car and took delivery in October of 1999, but it is a 2000 model.  It is also siver with red leather, sport and premium packages and the HK sound system.  Currently that car has about 68K on it and is still mint.

We've owned 10 BMW's including the two mentioned over the years.  Either 6 cylinders (my favorite) and a couple of V8's, but never a 4 banger.

Jim,  Forgot to mention that Christie's E46 is a 5 speed.  She dislikes driving automatics and is still a "Hot Rodder" at heart. Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 15:46:07 pm »

Cool, John... sounds like a plan. I'm going to try to make the C&C event on Saturdays, again. If you bring a Bimmer there, I'm sure that I've taken pics of your car. I post on the C&C site under "Rennsurfer." I haven't talked to you since Keith's book signing bash at Doug's house. Would be nice to meet up at C&C. Hope to see a you and a few Loungers there, soon.

I'll be there this weekend with either the T&C wagon or the '55 C300 (Tango Red).  Look forward to seeing you and who ever else shows. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: