The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 22:09:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SARGE: tell us about the Volkswagens Limited days..the very first DKP guys/cars
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: SARGE: tell us about the Volkswagens Limited days..the very first DKP guys/cars  (Read 41679 times)
Sarge

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 22:42:49 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked miss sharon Tongue Tongue Tongue
 if I had lived in this time , I would also have chosen her Tongue Tongue Tongue good choice bro  Wink

fabs

Thanks, Fabs!  40 years of wedded bliss this July... seems like just yesterday we were standing in the church on Broadway down the street from the Pickwick; my club brothers in their burgundy jackets heckling us from the front row of pews Roll Eyes Grin  Wish I had a pic of all the bugs lined up out front.  After the smoke cleared from all the burnouts, I remember hearing a woman say she'd NEVER heard VW's squeal their tires like that....... Shocked Roll Eyes

DKP III
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 00:59:59 am »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked miss sharon Tongue Tongue Tongue
 if I had lived in this time , I would also have chosen her Tongue Tongue Tongue good choice bro  Wink

fabs

Thanks, Fabs!  40 years of wedded bliss this July... seems like just yesterday we were standing in the church on Broadway down the street from the Pickwick; my club brothers in their burgundy jackets heckling us from the front row of pews Roll Eyes Grin  Wish I had a pic of all the bugs lined up out front.  After the smoke cleared from all the burnouts, I remember hearing a woman say she'd NEVER heard VW's squeal their tires like that....... Shocked Roll Eyes

That must have been a great wedding ! Congrats for 40 years of wedding, that's so rare nowadays.

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 01:12:55 am »

That is truly awesome. You two make a great couple, too. Congrats on the upcoming 40 years.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 07:28:37 am »

Congrats Sarge with your 40 year wedding anniversary! That is rare now a days. Couldn't happen to a finer couple!
Now...keep the stories and pics comin'. This is the best thread EVER! Grin Cool

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Felix/DFL

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 14:44:57 pm »

You guys are crazy!

Sometimes I don`t know which colour my undepants has that I took on in the morning, and you guys are telling storys that are older than 40 years as if they happened yesterday  Cool
Thank`s for charing those memorys with us!
Cornpanzer

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 15:11:02 pm »

Sharon still is a cutie!  Jim on the other hand.......  Wink Wink

Keep having fun Sarge!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
vwxtc4free

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 17:13:19 pm »

I can't begin to think how many cans of VHT we sprayed on our "headers".... it was a weekly ritual! Roll Eyes Wink

WOW,That statment takes me back.I may have not have lived in Cali. But as a kid growing up here on the east coast my first memories of a cool car was a green '70 chevelle of a sisters friend.He use too crawl under it every week with some vht also.I just remember how cool those headers looked peeking out behind the skinny centerlines .It had a coil cut in front to give it some rake just like a looker. Cool

Speaking of lookers .Jim ,you are a lucky man. Wink You have two nice lookers. and one of them enjoys VW's too.

Grin Congrats on 40 years! Something to be proud of in this day and age.

Sarge

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 17:39:37 pm »

Thanks guys! Smiley      My days at Fullerton JC came to an end after a year and a half.  Sharon and I were both art majors and were together in a number of classes.  Our grades quickly tapered off Roll Eyes.  Before I knew it, I became available for the draft.  I needed a job bad and found it at Graham's Chevron in La Habra.  John and Bill Graham taught me more about life then my own parents it seemed.  The other old timer that worked there was a guy named Mike Barnaby who drove a jacked up '52 Ford with a tube front axle and a 406cu mill under the hood.  The Grahams nicknamed him Balls for some reason Roll Eyes.  The three of them enjoyed nothing better then verbally working me over about my shit box bug.... "Hey, somebody pissed yer back windows, Jim" (I had yellow plexiglass quarter windows), "When ya gettin' that hemorrhoid exhaust pipe removed", and so on.  John had a hair trigger temper and liked grilling me about the zerk fittings I supposedly greased on the produce truck driveshaft or the new Atlas Plycron tire I'd wadded up on the tire machine... "WTF ARE YOU DO'IN TO MY TIRE, JIM???DON'T YOU LIKE MY TIRE, JIM?Huh? Angry Angry Angry.  After a day of that BS, I'd get out of there at nine and head down to pick up Sharon in Santa Ana where she had a job dipping ice cream at Hi-Lo Drugs... then over to Harbor Blvd to cruise around all the hot spots before heading back to La Habra at mid-night.  The old Stone's song Goin' Home always came on at mid-night.... Cool

DKP III
Georg/DFL

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 19:55:13 pm »

Sarge and John: Thanks for sharing your memories and stories with us. It's just great reading them! Keep 'em coming!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
johnl

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 19:12:15 pm »

Sarge and John: Thanks for sharing your memories and stories with us. It's just great reading them! Keep 'em coming!

Over the weekend I did some diggin' and came up with some old photos.  Nothing to do with the cars, but some shots of people.  Now you can put a face with the name.  If this gets screwed up in sending it is because I have no clue what I'm doing.

First photo will be at my wedding (I'm still a newley wed with only 38 years this August, but I'm also much younger than Sarge!!!!!!!!!
Left to right:  DKP Dave Patrice, my best man and then owner of an Auminum front end 409 Chevy John Burk, myself (I had to have a gold coat as the car was at Becker's being painted Yarbonnett Yellow at the time).  Gary Michael Huggins, a founding member and the guy who came up with the DKP name.  Last, but certainly not least a much younger James Edmistion looking rather dashing.  John L.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 19:17:19 pm »

Another shot leaving the church.  Edmistion is t the far left, but now he is a right winger like me.  With his back (best side) to the camera is Underdog Doug (The Mass) Gordon.  Far right is Rich Kugel being the Fonz as usual.

John L.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Sarge

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 19:18:29 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked  DAMN.... that gold coat's the SHIT!! Cool Cool Cool   Nice one, John Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 19:22:19 pm »

See this is what the Lounge is all about. Thanks to Sarge and John for rolling back the VW clock for us. This really is the genesis of the hobby we all follow, guys.... these guys posting their stories. Doesn't get any better....  Cool

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto
johnl

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 19:27:29 pm »

This shot is in my parents back yard at the receiption.  I think there were about 300 people there including most of DKP.  Left to right;  Mike (Howdy) Mahaffey, Gary Michael Huggins, Frosty (Forest Winton Blossom III).  Yes, that is really his name and he was in the club before the DKP days and work for Joe Schneider at Schneider Motors.  Rich Kugel and last Mike (Here Now) Mendenhall.  He always started a sentence wth the famous quote, "Here Now".

John L.

johnl

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 19:35:56 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked  DAMN.... that gold coat's the SHIT!! Cool Cool Cool   Nice one, John Grin

Jim, admit it.  You wanted that coat in the "worst way", but it was just to tight on your big frame!!!  God, it is awful isn't it.  Well at least I had good taste in women and my pals. Grin Grin Grin

John

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 19:45:52 pm »

waouwww cool stories

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 19:51:10 pm »

Sharon still is a cutie!  Jim on the other hand.......  Wink Wink

Keep having fun Sarge!

Here is a shot of a younger Sharon Edmision in the Wedding Party (far left).  She was a babe then and still is to this day!!!  I always had a thing for older women.  Sharon is exactly 6 months older than me.

John L.

johnl

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 19:57:06 pm »

Here is a very faded shot of Rich Kugel and myslef the morning we were going to Navy Boot Camp.  That is Rich's dad to the right and my dad almost out of the shot.  This was in my partents driveway and the 1960 Pontiac out front belonged to Mr. Kugel.

Within 24 hours neither of us had any hair!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

John L.

johnl

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 20:08:05 pm »

See this is what the Lounge is all about. Thanks to Sarge and John for rolling back the VW clock for us. This really is the genesis of the hobby we all follow, guys.... these guys posting their stories. Doesn't get any better....  Cool

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto

I think it is you younger guys in the hobby that keep the flame going for us.  It is great to have people that appreciate history and ask for the stories.  I think Jim E would agree?? Shocked Shocked

Anyway, I'll try to keep them comming. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

John L.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 20:44:47 pm »

Grin These are AMAZING stories and pic's guys  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
peach_

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 21:22:11 pm »

This is great, these stories inspire me to do stuff like you "older" guys did, keep'em coming Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jim Ratto

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 21:43:25 pm »

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto

I think it is you younger guys in the hobby that keep the flame going for us.  It is great to have people that appreciate history and ask for the stories.  I think Jim E would agree?? Shocked Shocked

John L.

John, you'll have to meet my buddy Frank "Sheep" Seifert sometime. Sarge has had the "pleasure" (?)  Roll Eyes a few times. Anyway, we went to high school together in the 1980's, and after finishing that inaupiscious career, we went on to work together at most crappy jobs we could find. Not only did we pretty much always work same jobs, but we were WAY into DKP folklore, and the very early Orange Co. look cars, like Jim E's white '63, Don Crane's red '67, Fleming's black oval, your '63... etc. This was about 1989, 1990 or so. Right around time that you guys had the reunion in Yorba Linda. I remember when Hot VW's ran the little article on the reunion... what was that 1990 or so? Der Kleiner Lug Nut Toss and all that. Somehow, we got our hand on a copy of the VHS tape that Greg Bunch and Tony Alvarez made with Fleming... all those old pics set to the period rock and roll. We sat around with some other gearhead VW friends one night, 1993 I think... and guzzled a couple of 12 packs of Sheep's dad's beer and watched that tape until the thing broke in two.... no kidding. Sure looked like Sarge and the rest of ya had too much fun. Coolest bit was that most of the pics were either of people or of cars but with people around them. EVERYBODY was SMILING.  Grin Must have been a great time to grow up with a group of like minded friends. Bethca never thought you guys were going to change history, huh?
Now a days, if some oldies station comes on the radio for whatever reason, everytime I hear "Do You Believe in Magic" or "For What it's Worth" or "People Are Strange" I think of a bunch of car crazy college kids in maroon jackets raising hell on Harbor Blvd circa 1969 under an Anaheim sunset. TOO COOL  Cool
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 21:46:55 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 21:53:24 pm »

BTW: John, you'll have to ask Sheep about his 1966 Bug and the motor we've been working on for the better part of 2 years now. Not your typical Y2K IDA'd 2276 thing....   I think Sarge and you might find its specs "interesting"

Consider yourselves "mentors"

Jim
johnl

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 22:52:31 pm »

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto

John L.

John, you'll have to meet my buddy Frank "Sheep" Seifert sometime. Sarge has had the "pleasure" (?)  Roll Eyes a few times. Anyway, we went to high school together in the 1980's, and after finishing that inaupiscious career, we went on to work together at most crappy jobs we could find. Not only did we pretty much always work same jobs, but we were WAY into DKP folklore, and the very early Orange Co. look cars, like Jim E's white '63, Don Crane's red '67, Fleming's black oval, your '63... etc. This was about 1989, 1990 or so. Right around time that you guys had the reunion in Yorba Linda. I remember when Hot VW's ran the little article on the reunion... what was that 1990 or so? Der Kleiner Lug Nut Toss and all that. Somehow, we got our hand on a copy of the VHS tape that Greg Bunch and Tony Alvarez made with Fleming... all those old pics set to the period rock and roll. We sat around with some other gearhead VW friends one night, 1993 I think... and guzzled a couple of 12 packs of Sheep's dad's beer and watched that tape until the thing broke in two.... no kidding. Sure looked like Sarge and the rest of ya had too much fun. Coolest bit was that most of the pics were either of people or of cars but with people around them. EVERYBODY was SMILING.  Grin Must have been a great time to grow up with a group of like minded friends. Bethca never thought you guys were going to change history, huh?
Now a days, if some oldies station comes on the radio for whatever reason, everytime I hear "Do You Believe in Magic" or "For What it's Worth" or "People Are Strange" I think of a bunch of car crazy college kids in maroon jackets raising hell on Harbor Blvd circa 1969 under an Anaheim sunset. TOO COOL  Cool

Jim,

The tape you refer to may have been the one that I made.  Did it start with a VW driving into the park?  The camera would have been held in the passenger seat.  If so, then I've still got the "original".  Christie and I got it out not to long ago and watched it.  We did incorporate some footage that Greg Bunch and Ron (Big Al Taming) Fleming had worked on.

The day of the DKP reunion I also had a Chrysler show going on at the Doubletree Hotel in Orange.  At that time Christie was the President of the local WPC (Walter P. Chrysler) Club and we had to be at both places.  I had two or three cars at that show as well.  My heart really wanted to stay at the DKP event forever, but I couldn't and to this day I regret that.

Don't know about us changing history.  We were just young and lived for the day and loved our cars and the Orange County way of life.  To this day I still think it is the best place in the world, but it is certainly a different world.  My standard statement when people ask where I live is, "I'm the white guy in Garden Grove".

You talk about listening to the Oldies, well back then they weren't Oldies.  We use to have a code when cruzin'.  The radios in the cars were five button I think and we all had our stations programed the same.  When a good tune came on we signaled each other via fingers so we all had the same tune at the same time.

Last, I had a phone call from Lynn Rosevear yesterday morning, but we were out for the day, so I'll need to call him back.  Here is another couple of items I found over the weekend.  There are two different cover versions.  One is loose leaf and the other bound.  They are VIRGIN!!

Enjoy,

John L.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 23:01:43 pm »

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto

John L.

Jim,

The tape you refer to may have been the one that I made.  Did it start with a VW driving into the park?  The camera would have been held in the passenger seat.  If so, then I've still got the "original".  Christie and I got it out not to long ago and watched it.  We did incorporate some footage that Greg Bunch and Ron (Big Al Taming) Fleming had worked on.

The day of the DKP reunion I also had a Chrysler show going on at the Doubletree Hotel in Orange.  At that time Christie was the President of the local WPC (Walter P. Chrysler) Club and we had to be at both places.  I had two or three cars at that show as well.  My heart really wanted to stay at the DKP event forever, but I couldn't and to this day I regret that.

Don't know about us changing history.  We were just young and lived for the day and loved our cars and the Orange County way of life.  To this day I still think it is the best place in the world, but it is certainly a different world.  My standard statement when people ask where I live is, "I'm the white guy in Garden Grove".

You talk about listening to the Oldies, well back then they weren't Oldies.  We use to have a code when cruzin'.  The radios in the cars were five button I think and we all had our stations programed the same.  When a good tune came on we signaled each other via fingers so we all had the same tune at the same time.

Last, I had a phone call from Lynn Rosevear yesterday morning, but we were out for the day, so I'll need to call him back.  Here is another couple of items I found over the weekend.  There are two different cover versions.  One is loose leaf and the other bound.  They are VIRGIN!!

Enjoy,

John L.

Hey John, the VHS did include that footage, but it started out with Jefferson Airplane's "You're My Best Friend" and showed the now famous DKP eagle logo... then Doors, Beatles, Buffalo Springfield...etc. It then segues to some 8mm film movie footage of Carlsbad and cruising what looks like San Juan capistrano. It then ends with footage from the interior of your black Bug and the reunion @ Yorba Linda,
johnl

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 23:11:35 pm »

Thanks guys! Smiley      My days at Fullerton JC came to an end after a year and a half.  Sharon and I were both art majors and were together in a number of classes.  Our grades quickly tapered off Roll Eyes.  Before I knew it, I became available for the draft.  I needed a job bad and found it at Graham's Chevron in La Habra.  John and Bill Graham taught me more about life then my own parents it seemed.  The other old timer that worked there was a guy named Mike Barnaby who drove a jacked up '52 Ford with a tube front axle and a 406cu mill under the hood.  The Grahams nicknamed him Balls for some reason Roll Eyes.  The three of them enjoyed nothing better then verbally working me over about my shit box bug.... "Hey, somebody pissed yer back windows, Jim" (I had yellow plexiglass quarter windows), "When ya gettin' that hemorrhoid exhaust pipe removed", and so on.  John had a hair trigger temper and liked grilling me about the zerk fittings I supposedly greased on the produce truck driveshaft or the new Atlas Plycron tire I'd wadded up on the tire machine... "WTF ARE YOU DO'IN TO MY TIRE, JIM???DON'T YOU LIKE MY TIRE, JIM?Huh? Angry Angry Angry.  After a day of that BS, I'd get out of there at nine and head down to pick up Sharon in Santa Ana where she had a job dipping ice cream at Hi-Lo Drugs... then over to Harbor Blvd to cruise around all the hot spots before heading back to La Habra at mid-night.  The old Stone's song Goin' Home always came on at mid-night.... Cool

The Hi-Lo Drugs was on 17th Street at Ross in Santa Ana.  You ask how I know this?  Well before we moved to Anaheim I lived about two block from there and attended third grade at that exact location.  The school was torn down and a small center was built.

John L.

johnl

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 23:14:55 pm »

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto

John L.

Jim,

Enjoy,

John L.

Hey John, the VHS did include that footage, but it started out with Jefferson Airplane's "You're My Best Friend" and showed the now famous DKP eagle logo... then Doors, Beatles, Buffalo Springfield...etc. It then segues to some 8mm film movie footage of Carlsbad and cruising what looks like San Juan capistrano. It then ends with footage from the interior of your black Bug and the reunion @ Yorba Linda,

Yep, that is it.  I just got my things backwards.  Old age I guess.  Maybe I should transfer that to CD???

Here is another Auto Haus Catolog Cover.  This is the loose leaf version with a Chrome cover.

peach_

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 23:54:57 pm »

Keep it coming!

Jim Ratto

John L.

Jim,

Enjoy,

John L.

Yep, that is it.  I just got my things backwards.  Old age I guess.  Maybe I should transfer that to CD???

Here is another Auto Haus Catolog Cover.  This is the loose leaf version with a Chrome cover.

Maybe DVD Would be better  Wink Tongue Cheesy

If you did I Put my name down for a copy  Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Sarge

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 04:27:25 am »

Pimp Daddy got da SHIT Cool Cool Shocked

DKP III
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2009, 04:38:29 am »

Movie night at Sarge's house!!

I'll bring the beer!

~DR Grin