The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 23:37:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SARGE: tell us about the Volkswagens Limited days..the very first DKP guys/cars
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: SARGE: tell us about the Volkswagens Limited days..the very first DKP guys/cars  (Read 41711 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2009, 04:44:12 am »

You talk about listening to the Oldies, well back then they weren't Oldies.  We use to have a code when cruzin'.  The radios in the cars were five button I think and we all had our stations programed the same.  When a good tune came on we signaled each other via fingers so we all had the same tune at the same time.

John & Sarge... GREAT STUFF. Please keep this thread going. Easily, one of (if not THE) best discussions on The Lounge. John, that radio story (above) is epic. It's what defines being part of not only a car club... but an exceptional one, is all about. One that cultivates camaraderie, fun, and being there for each other no matter what. After reading that paragraph about the radio push buttons (pre-sets), I smiled. From now on, when I'm driving my '67, I'm never going to look at my Sapphire AM radio the same.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:48:07 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:25 am »

Movie night at Sarge's house!!

I'll bring the beer!

~DR Grin

Shocked Your free pass is in the mail Grin

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 04:48:56 am »

I'll bring the beer!

~DR Grin

HAHA!! Ya beat me to it, Dave... well played.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2009, 04:54:54 am »

I'll bring the beer!

~DR Grin

HAHA!! Ya beat me to it, Dave... well played.

No problem Mark, he'll still need food, snacks, bail money, etc. Wink

~DR
Rennsurfer

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2009, 05:04:33 am »

No problem Mark, he'll still need food, snacks, bail money, etc. Wink

~DR

True... good points all around. Bail money, however, isn't my fortè. Joking aside, if this is on, LET'S!

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2009, 05:06:57 am »

PD don't need no BAIL money Angry Roll Eyes

Here's a couple shots of John when he was young and crazy.... a real LOOOONNG time ago Grin  Hey, that looks like a Johnny's decal in the vent window....

DKP III
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:14 am »

SECOND THAT!  Grin Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Grin

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Georg/DFL

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2009, 10:01:34 am »

Awesome, guys, just awesome! I am blown away!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
guillaume

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2009, 12:28:50 pm »

Cool stories. If you make a DVD version, I will buy one Smiley
Sarge

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2009, 12:54:13 pm »

Here's another shot of John... this time with my sis Shocked.  They were an item for a couple of hours I think  Grin.

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 13:16:08 pm »

See this is what the Lounge is all about. Thanks to Sarge and John for rolling back the VW clock for us. This really is the genesis of the hobby we all follow, guys.... these guys posting their stories. Doesn't get any better....  Cool

Keep it coming!

Yeah, what he said.  This is great reading.  Oh, and the pictures are priceless!  Thanks, guys.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 16:34:57 pm »

PD don't need no BAIL money Angry Roll Eyes

Here's a couple shots of John when he was young and crazy.... a real LOOOONNG time ago Grin  Hey, that looks like a Johnny's decal in the vent window....

Jim,  I never knew you had these photos.  You were the wise one keeping a record of our history.  I was to stupid and just enjoyed our friendship and the cars.  Can't believe we were that young and I had that much hair!!!  Don't think that is a Johnny's decal, but really don't know what it would be.  What I'd give to have that car back today.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
John L.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 16:41:37 pm »

Here's another shot of John... this time with my sis Shocked.  They were an item for a couple of hours I think  Grin.

I had my share of girl friends, but there were two that made lasting memories for me.  I married one, Christie and the other one, Mary Ann Edmistion is shown here.  She was a very special person and I have nothing but fond memories of our times together.  Several years ago at Jim's house Mary Ann showed up and it was great to see her.  Today she has a son that flies military jets, but I'll let Jim fill you in on that.

Jim, these photos have not made my day, but they have made my week!!! Shocked Shocked

John L.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 17:42:45 pm »

Can you guys hold on a moment while I get myself a more comfy chair and a fresh bottle of wine? Thanks... Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2009, 17:46:07 pm »

John, love to see any more pics of your '63 in that Cadillac green.... very cool car.

Thanks for sharing the pics Sarge. You're alright, despite what Jayburn and Carlos say aboutcha
johnl

« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2009, 18:04:16 pm »

Can you guys hold on a moment while I get myself a more comfy chair and a fresh bottle of wine? Thanks... Cheesy

Keith,  had enough time to get a refill???  This has turned into a feeding frenzy and I am really enjoying it.  Jim and I haven't talked this much in years, to many years!! Undecided

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2009, 18:05:52 pm »

John........ Thanks for sharing..........great stories and pictures!!!  Shocked Shocked

Hope to see you soon !!!   Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers
johnl

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2009, 18:06:35 pm »

John, love to see any more pics of your '63 in that Cadillac green.... very cool car.

Thanks for sharing the pics Sarge. You're alright, despite what Jayburn and Carlos say aboutcha

I'm still digging, so there will be more to follow.

Sarge

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2009, 18:07:37 pm »

Bring two of everything... I'm tired and real thirsty Cheesy

My pleasure, Jim Cool

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2009, 18:23:09 pm »

cool stories as usual guys and thx for the pic  Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2009, 19:51:29 pm »

The photo with the decal or sticker in the windwing reminded me of something we use to do.  Pete Dayton and Gary Huggins both worked at Disneyland back in the day.  There was a Mickey Mouse decal with him holding something like a globe.  We took the Rich Rat and removed the globe and then took a DKP decal and cut the VW portion out and placed it in the Rat's hand.

This item was always displayed on the driver's windwing.  Christie and I are both annual passholders at the Tragic Kindom and are there about every week.  I've looked for the Rat, but have never found them.  Who would have ever thought a Mickey Mouse decal would be hard to find.

John L.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2009, 22:18:10 pm »

Time for another bottle of Merlot... Hic! Tongue

johnl

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2009, 22:58:53 pm »

Keith,  You must remember that you need these stories for your next book!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sarge

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2009, 23:04:35 pm »

No wonder nothing gets done out in the garage...... Kiss Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2009, 23:08:27 pm »

next book?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2009, 23:10:59 pm »

Keith,  You must remember that you need these stories for your next book!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
But does anyone want books when they can read the stories on the internet? Huh Grin

At least I've found time to lose the turn signals... Kiss

next book?
Sigh... Don't you guys have anything better to do than read about a bunch of old farts? Roll Eyes Grin

johnl

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2009, 23:20:19 pm »

But does anyone want books when they can read the stories on the internet? Huh Grin

At least I've found time to lose the turn signals... Kiss

next book?
Sigh... Don't you guys have anything better to do than read about a bunch of old farts? Roll Eyes Grin

Your safe regarding the stories on the net.  By the time you get out of the cooler and into your next book we will all have forgotten the stories.  So at that time we can make them up all over again!! Shocked  About the "Old Farts", well all I can say is your not speaking of the Sarge and myself I'm sure because with the stellar lives we've lived to this point we are still young and have many more years to go, I hope. Kiss

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2009, 23:28:00 pm »

Your safe regarding the stories on the net.  By the time you get out of the cooler and into your next book we will all have forgotten the stories.  So at that time we can make them up all over again!! Shocked  About the "Old Farts", well all I can say is your not speaking of the Sarge and myself I'm sure because with the stellar lives we've lived to this point we are still young and have many more years to go, I hope. Kiss
I know what you're saying... I feel like an 18 year old, too. The trouble is, she always says 'No'! Grin

johnl

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2009, 23:32:28 pm »

I know what you're saying... I feel like an 18 year old, too. The trouble is, she always says 'No'! Grin

If she says "NO", then you must have chosen the wrong one!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Fritter

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2009, 05:03:50 am »

Very cool thread and pics, thanks for sharing! 

The paint on your green Bug looks very very nice John, even in 45 year old instamatic pictures!

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: