The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:27:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  901 transaxle in Bug? Thoughts, experiences, opinions......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 901 transaxle in Bug? Thoughts, experiences, opinions......  (Read 5841 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 11, 2009, 16:26:44 pm »

Ridden in a VW with one, driven one, installed one?

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 16:49:56 pm »

I've take a ride in a 1303 race bug with a built 901. I don't drive it but it looks to be a pleasure.

The only thing I don't like, it's the five gear that come far on the right and hit passenger leg. (But could be great if your passenger wear a skirt  Grin )

I've take a look underneath when the car was on a lift and seen that the gearbox take a huge space and need to cut some metal on the chassis.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 19:30:20 pm »

Drove a 901 equipped '70 Beetle for a few months with a stockish engine. I LOVED the dogleg first gear! 1st to 2nd gear changes are a breeze, just throw the shifter straight forward. My favorite part was having 2nd and 3rd "in line" with each other. Makes rowing in between the two a real pleasure on twisty roads.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 20:26:59 pm »

what is a dogleg 1st? is that the 1st gear in the place off the reverse on a beetle? Ok i am stupid.

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 20:43:02 pm »

yep, that's it nicolas!
i have only dreamed of driving a 901 gearbox! it should be such a pleasure. definitely something i'd consider when starting from scratch (body-off)  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 22:19:34 pm »

Dogleg gearboxes are SICK!!!!!! I LOVE THEM Grin Grin Grin (even though I ain't driven one properly  Wink)

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 22:58:04 pm »

Jim, why don't you ask Beecher?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Airspeed

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 23:03:52 pm »

901 boxes are also only marginally stronger than a T1 tranny, so be carefull what power and what sort of driving you intend to do.
Usually most synchros (1-3 usually) are gone with used 901's, so be carefull what you buy or plan/budget for a rebuild.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 23:50:33 pm »

901 boxes are also only marginally stronger than a T1 tranny, so be carefull what power and what sort of driving you intend to do.
Usually most synchros (1-3 usually) are gone with used 901's, so be carefull what you buy or plan/budget for a rebuild.

Good info dude - THANKYOU Grin

Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 23:55:12 pm »

Jim, why don't you ask Beecher?

oh yeah....   thanks KS
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:29:02 am »

If a 914 or 901 transmission is cheaper than a mildly beefed up VW one w/stock ratios... I'm IN. I just need to see/read the details of getting one in a '67 sedan. I don't care how far over the 5th gear goes. My co-pilot is female, so I'm okay with that.

(edit) By the way, I'm not interested in racing my car... the 901 would be only merely subjected to daily driving conditions. So 1st gear strength issues aren't a problem.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:35:37 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Cornpanzer

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 02:32:25 am »

Great box, but the stock shifter is awful.  A friend bought a "Rennshift" shifter, and it was a night and day improvement in how the things shifts.  I stepped up and bought one.  Since then two of my buddies have bought them for thier cars after driving mine.  Over the winter, I took mine out and shipped it to Beecher who used it for a week and bought one of his own for the split.   Smiley

Keep in mind that first gear is fragile...you really shouldnt be launching the car hard.  The cool thing about them is they are a breeze to change ratios in.  No presses or special tools and gears are plentiful...but a bit pricy.

You thinking of making the jump Jim?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Bruce

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 04:31:23 am »

, but the stock shifter is awful. 
I have to agree. 
The one time I drove a car with a 901, I hated it (gearbox, not the car).  Shortly afterwards I bought a B5 kit.  Maybe if I had more seat time with a 901, I would have a different opinion.
karl h

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 07:59:32 am »

as for the installation of one:
if you want to use the stock shifter, you have to modify the tunnel where it mounts. now there is martin botts kit, its just a bolt in. i use the weltmeister shortshift kit, its better than factory, because it has shorter throws.
next you have to modify the nose and cut off the stock 911 machanical tach output, then reweld the cone or you are moving the whole engine/trans back about an inch, bad for center of gravity and the fitting of sheetmetal and carbs (or use martin botts nosecone)
the pan has to be cut the accept the 901 hockey stick, it enters beneath the torsion housing, not above as stock type 1
then a bracket to support the engine/trans has to be fabricated (or bought)
the clutch lever and the clutchtube has to be modified, the one to accept the type 1 wing nut, the other because the 901 lever is at the bottom, not the top
you also need to make (or buy) a rear engine mount , the stock rubber pads dont fit, the 901 doesnt have the recesses to bolt them on
thats about all i can think of (besides denting the body with a BFH or some more delicate way to improve clearence of the nose cone)
i did all of this years ago, no special parts availible then. its a lot of work, but can be done with some mechanicasl skills Grin

as for being no advantage to the type 1 trans, i cant relate to that. if you ever have seen the syncros that are made for quick shifting, you see why this trans can hadle a sportscar and 180hp easily. its just no dedicated dragtrans, even if a buddy took his heavy ghia convertible to the mid elevens on the sqeeze with one. for driving its just perfect, if set up correctly

hi dave
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:04:17 am by karl h » Logged

nicolas

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 15:02:06 pm »

that is perfect for Lee, as he will driving it not racing it with the SPG and 901 box  Grin

sorry, this was too easy, couldn't resist.  Kiss
beetlemic

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 15:52:16 pm »

Does Someone know what i have to do,  if installing a 915 gearbox in a -66 beetle?

Should be similar to a 901.

If It Sounds Good,It Is Good!!;)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 16:39:02 pm »

isn't the 915 box what they call a side shifter or something?
i guess if so it would harder to get it to work Huh

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 16:45:07 pm »

Great box, but the stock shifter is awful.  A friend bought a "Rennshift" shifter, and it was a night and day improvement in how the things shifts.  I stepped up and bought one.  Since then two of my buddies have bought them for thier cars after driving mine.  Over the winter, I took mine out and shipped it to Beecher who used it for a week and bought one of his own for the split.   Smiley

Keep in mind that first gear is fragile...you really shouldnt be launching the car hard.  The cool thing about them is they are a breeze to change ratios in.  No presses or special tools and gears are plentiful...but a bit pricy.

Thinking about it. Once our stimulus plan kicks in though. Cheesy Cheesy
I know it involves going IRS, which is fine... I'm not a dyed in the wool swingaxle guy. Those camber swings can be a bit     Shocked
No plans to drag race this car anymore. Too much fun being in the driver's seat and not under the car with gear oil dripping on me. I have a really good friend that is in the thick of the Porsche scene, and does 901, 915, G50 stuff.... has loads of spares collecting spiders etc.
I'd love to ditch the tall 3rd in my car. 4th is fine, but sure would be nice to click over to 5th.
Driving dad's GTV6 last weekend got my wheels turning. That car has perfect ratios.
Airspeed

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 21:25:47 pm »

..., but sure would be nice to click over to 5th.

That is SO true!
Dragracing 1st trough 4th on the 1/4 strip, then cruise home in 5th gear is way cool...
Thats why I converted to G50 this year after I had the 915 these last few years. Hp is 'creeping' up fast with boost though  Grin

Be carefull with these porker parts, before you know it you'll like the type 4 engine as well... Cheesy

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 22:12:06 pm »

that is perfect for Lee, as he will driving it not racing it with the SPG and 901 box  Grin

sorry, this was too easy, couldn't resist.  Kiss

Cry Cry Cry stop picking on me  Cry Cry Cry

A few of you guy might want to check out this thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7573.0.html Its a little job that I am doin for a friend and its a VERY VERY good kit here's the website too http://www.bugat5speed.de/cms/

There is ALOT of very good info in this thread though - Thanks guys  Smiley

Airspeed

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 22:38:59 pm »

Lee, all kidding aside, if you really want to go 901-type, try to purchase one from 1970-1971 (2 model years): those are called '911' type trannies. Its basically a 901 type, but it had some small improvements that simply made it a little better and a little stronger too. Those two model years were accompanied with the 2,2 ltr 911 engines only! This was just before the 915 trannies, which came with the 2,4 ltr models.
Gearing is better as well, as the early 901's were quite short in ratio, but still a little less high geared like the 914 boxes are.

Good hunting  Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 23:09:12 pm »

Lee, all kidding aside, if you really want to go 901-type, try to purchase one from 1970-1971 (2 model years): those are called '911' type trannies. Its basically a 901 type, but it had some small improvements that simply made it a little better and a little stronger too. Those two model years were accompanied with the 2,2 ltr 911 engines only! This was just before the 915 trannies, which came with the 2,4 ltr models.
Gearing is better as well, as the early 901's were quite short in ratio, but still a little less high geared like the 914 boxes are.

Good hunting  Wink

Thanks dude - again VERY good info  Grin

unfortunetly I had no input on which gearbox my friend bought (in the other thread) and after striping/cleaning/rebuilding its VERY interesting to see just how many parts in this "Porsche gearbox" are in fact VW parts! Differential, shift forks etc etc

Also the diff has 3.49 scribed on it - Any info Huh

Lee.C

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:10:06 am »

Just been checking out the Rennshifter dude - VERY NICE! I really like the adjustability  Smiley

karl h

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:23 am »

as for the 911 trans: be careful, there have modifications to be done. first the clutch is pushed, not pulled like in the type 1 or 901. you have to install a 901 arm ($$$$$) and install a boss inside the bellhousing. second: you cant get it with the earlier 944/bus cv flanges, some have to be custom made. the gear stacks are the same as 901, just the r/p is different (bigger). the case of the trans is mag, so its lighter, but try finding somebody to weld the nose Tongue. the 901 aluminum nose can be used
for the 915: its a whole differnt can of worms, its physically different then the earlier models, prepare for some extensive body mods: its a lot longer and pushes the motor out further back with all negative consequences. dont get a 915 if you dont really know what you are doing, its far from a bolt-in

Lee.C

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:13 am »

as for the 911 trans: be careful, there have modifications to be done. first the clutch is pushed, not pulled like in the type 1 or 901. you have to install a 901 arm ($$$$$) and install a boss inside the bellhousing. second: you cant get it with the earlier 944/bus cv flanges, some have to be custom made. the gear stacks are the same as 901, just the r/p is different (bigger). the case of the trans is mag, so its lighter, but try finding somebody to weld the nose Tongue. the 901 aluminum nose can be used
for the 915: its a whole differnt can of worms, its physically different then the earlier models, prepare for some extensive body mods: its a lot longer and pushes the motor out further back with all negative consequences. dont get a 915 if you dont really know what you are doing, its far from a bolt-in

VERY VERY usefull info - cheers buddy  Smiley

kafercup

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 00:56:49 am »

Jim, you need to talk to Martin Bott at bug@5speed as he's got all the bits and pieces needed for the install.  www.bugat5speed.de
Lee.C

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 20:14:21 pm »

Jim, you need to talk to Martin Bott at bug@5speed as he's got all the bits and pieces needed for the install.  www.bugat5speed.de

Thats where my 914 box kit came from - VERY good parts  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: