The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 18:09:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Scandinavian Cal-look Classic (the event)
| | |-+  New engine diaper rule for 2009.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New engine diaper rule for 2009.  (Read 9970 times)
JS

« on: March 10, 2009, 21:07:05 pm »

Attention all racers! The Norwegian Drag Race Association has added the following rules for the 2009 season:

Quote:
" Paragraph 1.14 Parts/oil tray.

Alle cars with an ET below 11.49sec./402m are to be equipped with a device that collects parts and oil in the case of an engine failure. For cars with ET below 7,50, see FIA rulebook.
Approved are a "diaper" configuration, alternatively a collecting tray. A tray is to be fitted between the crossmember sides and stretch from vibration damper to the flywheel housing.
Spill edges should be 5cm(2") tall, and only have minimal holes for steering rods, hoses, etc. A flameproof absorption mat should be securely fastened in the bottom of the tray and is to be replaced if needed. On cars with automatic transmissions it is also recommended with such a device under the transmission/converter. "
End quote.

The rules are made for front engine RWD cars, but also applies to aircooled vw´s.
In the US there´s already a "diaper" type device for sale for those who want to be on the forefront: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=628089

The SCC crew has begun the work on an alternative "diaper" product, our aim is to make this available for purchase/loan/rent at this years event.
We will strive to make a simple, reasonable but fully approved solution for easy fitting to all old VW´s of every kind. More info to come!

SCC welcomes this as a positive rule that will drastically reduce the number of cleanups and give both racers and audience a more exciting weekend!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 21:14:24 pm by JS » Logged

Signature.
Roman

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 22:22:58 pm »

I welcome the rule!
The big change we will see is that a lot more cars will be towed back as it is hard to cool an aircooled engine with a diaper/tray.
richie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 03:22:29 am »

Thats going to affect a lot of people Shocked  How are they going to decide if he car needs one or not? I see alot of 11.51and slower cars at scrutineering Wink Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
JS

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:16:03 am »

We have spoken to the NDRG about that, during inspection history/common sense is applied, and IF you go faster than 11,5 the car is banned from racing... Until a diaper is fitted. 
PS. You won´t fool them Richie, they remember you from last year!!!  Shocked Grin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:26:38 am by JS » Logged

Signature.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:43:12 am »

Guys can you let me know what you come up with as the Diaper on Thesamba will not work for me.

I'm going to work something out here would be nice to see what you come up with.

Hahaha your killing me.........
richie

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 19:12:46 pm »

We have spoken to the NDRG about that, during inspection history/common sense is applied, and IF you go faster than 11,5 the car is banned from racing... Until a diaper is fitted. 
PS. You won´t fool them Richie, they remember you from last year!!!  Shocked Grin

Wont be my car though as it will be in USA for a while Cheesy

But seriously,how are they going to know which cars were teched with them when they go down the track? will they mark them in any way?it seems liek its going to be really difficult to keep on top of?

I have just made something for my car as some tracks require it here,fairly simple,when I get it passed as ok I will put a picture up,
its not beatifull but just purposefull Smiley

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:07 am »

I agree its going to be something they have to have an eye on if they want to go by the book. But in practise, it`s really the same as if a car passes the barrier for full rollcage. What means, if your lucky, they will not notice...but that would naturally be gambling.

I will post info as soon as we have anything new on this subject Smiley

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:45 am »

Guys can you let me know what you come up with as the Diaper on Thesamba will not work for me.

I'm going to work something out here would be nice to see what you come up with.

Just to let you know that the guy selling the diaper on thesamba also make a version for engines with cooling tins. Contact him, he answer really quick.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
ESH

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:56 am »

Benefits aside it looks like it's got a pair of dungarees on.    Tongue

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:20:24 pm »

i don't see how this can do anything other than shorting the life of an aircooled engine,in my experience it's not the quick cars that spill, its the rwyb cars, the ones that aren't stripped and rebuilt after almost every meet.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
JS

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:37:27 pm »

I don´t think the extra heat while running down the track 402m will dramatically shorten the life of the engine. In our experience most of the cars that spilled oil on last years SCC were VERY fast, and built to a high standard. It is no doubt in my mind that this will enhance the racing experience over the weekend both for drivers and audience.

How about those mags Lids?  Wink

Signature.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 22:06:16 pm »

will pm about those mags.

Richies car doesn't count as he spilled it by tipping the car up!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Elnef

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 11:15:25 am »

Any news about this ?

"The SCC crew has begun the work on an alternative "diaper" product, our aim is to make this available for purchase/loan/rent at this years event.
We will strive to make a simple, reasonable but fully approved solution for easy fitting to all old VW´s of every kind. More info to come!"

Someone know where to buy "A flameproof absorption mat"

John

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 11:53:01 am »

Any news about this ?

"The SCC crew has begun the work on an alternative "diaper" product, our aim is to make this available for purchase/loan/rent at this years event.
We will strive to make a simple, reasonable but fully approved solution for easy fitting to all old VW´s of every kind. More info to come!"

Someone know where to buy "A flameproof absorption mat"

John

Ask in a building warehouse, insulation is an idea.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 13:35:39 pm »

We did it like this,made them in aircraft quality aluminum and anodized them black.Have absorbing mat in the main pan,bought from Summitracing.You get more air around the engine,but can also see when you get a leak.Cracked a cylinder earlier this summer,so I know it works.. Wink

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 13:38:18 pm »

..easy to remove side pans if you need access to rockers or pushrod tubes.

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 14:20:34 pm »

SOLD, I take one. How much Tekken?  Smiley

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Todi

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 14:21:36 pm »

SOLD, I take one. How much Tekken?  Smiley

But me up for one also  Wink
Elnef

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 15:46:48 pm »

Thanks for the picture
I was thinking in the same direction with a 3 piece model easy to adjust valve and check for leaks
I will go in the garage and make one similar in the next days
I think its a bit over kill to order just absorbing mat from summit I will try a lokal shop first
Rasser

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 09:43:44 am »

Kattegrus i bakken John!

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 15:02:41 pm »

Kattegrus i bakken John!

Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: