The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:20:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  removing glue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: removing glue  (Read 2615 times)
john bailey

« on: April 09, 2009, 18:45:13 pm »

hi. i want to remove the carpet from my bug which means removing the glue but i dont know what to use that will not damage the paint. any ideas?

Thanks John
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 18:53:46 pm »

hi. i want to remove the carpet from my bug which means removing the glue but i dont know what to use that will not damage the paint. any ideas?

Thanks John

Been there done that... and not to be negative - it IS a pain in the ass and in the end a headache too because of the chemicals. Your problem is that you want to keep the paint, then you can delete the real effective chemicals (lynol, acetone) from your list right away.

I will make it short, 3M do have a effective but at the same time quite mild glue remover. This together with their citrus spray will remove the glue slowly but steadily but at the same time dry out your paint so it will need a good waxing afterwards.

DO NOT use these chemicals unless you have good ventilation. Yes, the citrus spray smells innocent but it is dangerous!

Best rgs and good luck

BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
john bailey

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 19:20:47 pm »

thanks mate. unfortunatly i know its not going to be easy Tongue............ hope it will be worth the effort......
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 19:25:35 pm »

I remove mine with acetone ! Don't do it if you want to keep your paint clean ! And you have to take care when you are breathing this crap, do it on the outside.

jimi323

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 19:38:22 pm »

sorry but i don't know if there is a specific english name for this object..

is like and Hairdryer..but used in bodyshops...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 20:30:12 pm »

Possibly a heat gun, a rag with WD-40 and a lot of elbow grease. It's going to suck!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 20:53:33 pm »

If you have different chemicals at your disposal, build up! Test on a small behind the door spot and try to find the most abbrasive chemical that does not remove paint. Safest bet is lighterfluid, evaporates so fast that it doesn't damage, it's what they use to clean pinballs. Then go to synthetic thinner, on to celluloid thinner and finally acetone.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:52:11 am »

Try white kerosene or diesel fuel, You can also get these flapper wheels from good auto paint stores that take some glues and adhesives off by a rubbing effect. They work pretty good

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:48:37 am »

There is a product called Bestine, used for glue removal. Most art supply stores carry it.

I also park at Nick's.
john bailey

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 21:36:10 pm »

thanks everyone. i started to and its going to take  ages!!!!! tryed a few thing. some thing called type20 worked well. will go back tomorrow and make sure it has not takeen the paint off (only tryed a small hidden area to test it...)

thanks john
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: